GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Question for Ninty's."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/09/02 at 13:11
Regular
Now that it is completely 100% official that Microsoft has bought Rare, how many of you Ninty's will be getting an Xbox to carry on playing Rare Games?

It seems that you love Rare so much, as you lot always shouted "We've got Rare developing for us!" whenever someone tried to put down Nintendo. So I guess that you'll all be putting your GC away in the wardrobe, and you'll be buying an Xbox pretty soonish.

Or am I wrong?
Wed 25/09/02 at 14:12
Regular
I suppose as I owned a N64, and now a Gamecube, I may be classed as a Ninty, and personally, the Rare situation doesn't fuss me either way. The only Rare games I have ever owned were PD and Goldeneye.

Since FRD are making Timesplitters 2 so much like Goldeneye (anyone who's played the PS2 demo should agree), it deosn't really fuss me either way.

I'll probably buy TS2 for the PS2 anyway, because the Dual Shock 2 pad kicks the backside of the Gamecube pad for FPS versatility!!!

:D
Wed 25/09/02 at 14:17
Regular
"everyone says it"
Ah but Bonus.

The Gamecube version runs the game the best, and also the fact I can play multiplayer and I get a version for free from Eidos.

*skips around*

Seriously though Bonus, get the GC version for quality. :)
Wed 25/09/02 at 14:22
Regular
"everyone says it"
A perfect summary:

'While Nintendo announced a change in strategy to capitalise on leading franchises by reducing development time, Rare continued slowly to beaver away on its GameCube projects.

Nintendo started to realise that its own goals didn't tally with those of Rare, and vice versa, and negotiations for the sale of the company began during the middle of 2001. '

'Will Nintendo miss Rare? Given the firm's sluggish productivity of late, most probably not. And while still holding on to its Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong and Pokemon franchises, Nintendo is right not to care.

The question is whether Microsoft will be able to capitalise on Rare's reputation before the Xbox chokes.

There's no doubting it's a PR victory for Microsoft. Whether it's a creative one remains to be seen. '
Wed 25/09/02 at 14:25
Regular
The GC version "plays" the best??

Yeah, right, seeing as the game will be identical on all systems, and the PS2 pad is far superior with it's dual analogue stick design, surely it will kick backside.

The Gamecube pad quite literally sucks for anything needing this level of versatility.

The N64 pad was THE FPS pad, now the Dual Shock 2 reigns supreme ;)
Wed 25/09/02 at 14:29
Regular
"everyone says it"
Bonus wrote:
> The GC version "plays" the best??
>
> Yeah, right, seeing as the game will be identical on all systems, and
> the PS2 pad is far superior with it's dual analogue stick design,
> surely it will kick backside.
>
> The Gamecube pad quite literally sucks for anything needing this level
> of versatility.
>
> The N64 pad was THE FPS pad, now the Dual Shock 2 reigns supreme ;)

No really. The Gamecube version apparently plays the best. All the hierachy at work keep telling me. Also, I have an adaptor to use my Dual Shock on the Gamecube. :P
Wed 25/09/02 at 14:46
Regular
Anyway, how is the PS2 pad better for FPS?

The only difference is that you have to stretch your thumb to reach the main analogue stick.

Or is it the strange shoulder buttons?
Wed 25/09/02 at 16:04
Regular
"DS..."
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Rare games are great but there's no way I'm running out and buying an
> Xbox, they release about 2 games a year maximum so to buy a new
> console for 2 games a year would be a waste of money. Also I barely
> have time to play my Gamecube so there'd be no point having 2
> consoles.
>
> Oh and the other thing is if I did run out and buy an Xbox i'd be
> falling int Bill Gates's greedy brown fingers, he obvioulsy hopes that
> a lot of people are gonna buy a Box for Rare. Shove it up your Pipe Mr
> Gates.

well said Tilta, i for one will NOT be purchasing an xbox just for Rares games Yes Rare have produced some top quality games over the years and I own more than a few of them but to buy an xbox would be foolish just for a couple of games a year if that, plus the fact that I don't think Rare will be able to produce as good games as they have done when there under pressure from greedy gates and the quality will be sacraficed due to them having to be rushed out, which i suppose suits xbox owners quite well as they seem to like sub-standard game ;) anyway i'm sticking with my GC as thats where the REAL games are Rare may be (or were?) great but in reality they cower in the shadows of mightly Nintendo even if they did work together as a team on Starfox Adventures it's Nintendo's character in the first place that has brought life to the game and it is one game that I will still be getting.

However if Bill Gates thinks that one developer is going to suddenly turn loss into profit in a matter of months then he is sorely mistaken ;) anyway the future of rare is out of Nintendos hands now and has fallen into a company of greed and power so it will be interesting to see where Microsoft leads the future of such a great developer, only time will tell...

slik ~_~
Wed 25/09/02 at 16:17
"High polygon count"
So, MS buy Rare.

Rare allegedly produce maybe 2 quality games a year?

So, this time next year, Xbox will have 3 quality games?

;-p
Wed 25/09/02 at 16:18
Regular
Ba dum dum tssshhh!
Wed 25/09/02 at 16:43
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
As you can guess by my name I have a Gamecube but for me (that means in my oppinion so don't argue please :S ) it has always been a lesser console. I want a DVD player in my room and all the games I really like are coming out for X-Box or are multi format and now with RARE on X-Boxes team they have the edge in the market place and I hope to get one at christmas. And although Gamecube has lost RARE they are still getting Star Fox and have kept memerable titles such as DK the only thing is they will now be made internally so it isn't a huge loss just a great wod of cash in their pocket.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.