GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Question for Ninty's."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/09/02 at 13:11
Regular
Now that it is completely 100% official that Microsoft has bought Rare, how many of you Ninty's will be getting an Xbox to carry on playing Rare Games?

It seems that you love Rare so much, as you lot always shouted "We've got Rare developing for us!" whenever someone tried to put down Nintendo. So I guess that you'll all be putting your GC away in the wardrobe, and you'll be buying an Xbox pretty soonish.

Or am I wrong?
Sun 29/09/02 at 16:01
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> Given that Microsoft dont make entertainment hardware (DVD players,
> Hi-Fi's etc..) like Sony, and given that they also have a toe or two
> in the PC market, theres little reason for them to push the X-Box as
> anything other than a games machine?

That's even more reason for MS to expand into m a multi-purpose entertainment system thing! Sony make Hi-Fis, DVD players and the like, so to an extent their own DVD players are kind of competing with the PS2, at least for some of their targetted market. But while this is true Sony still have a large range of products. The games industry starts to falter and they have DVD players, TVs, CD players, etc. etc. to back them up. MS don't have such a varied range of products, so they'll want the Xbox (and its descendants) to have diverse features to minimise the risk. If it is pushed as a games machine, a DVD player, a Hi-Fi system, and maybe some other stuff to (ie. a kind of stripped down PC with some of the better features of a normal PC) then they are spreading the risk by appealing to as wide a market as possible. If one aspect starts to become less profitable, Xbox 2 (or whatever it'll be called) will still sell because of other features.

And while MS and Sony are both making multi-media entertainment system things, it seems Nintendo have the most confidance in the strength of the Videogames market as they have a machine that only does one thing, plays games. Ignoring additional costs for the extra features, this is neither a good or bad point, it simply shows that Nintendo have more confidence in the strength of the games industry, while as MS and Sony both want a cut of the industry, but are also covering their backs by making machines that won't just appeal to the base core of gamers.
Sun 29/09/02 at 13:39
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> I'd never buy an Xbox, don't need 2 consoles and the Xbox has
> absoloutly nothing that really intrests me enough to be worthy of the
> price.

Well there's this exclusive Zombie title coming out, based on the age old Zombie movies such as Day of the Dead and the stupid Dawn of the Dead, it's recived rave previews worldwide and is supposedly a Rainbow Six type game where you have a team and must fight the Zombies and complete tasks and so on, there's even custard pie fights in there. It would appeal to fans of the Zombie genre, apprently*

Just thought you should know.

*This may not be true
Sun 29/09/02 at 13:36
"The Will of D."
RARE are not going to be of any good help to the Xbox at all.
The only way for them to get anything good out of them is if they stop making huge and impossible deadlines for RARE already, RARE as we Nintys already know take their time over games (take SFA for example, 5 years) and do not make good games if they are rushed.
Sun 29/09/02 at 13:34
Regular
I'd never buy an Xbox, don't need 2 consoles and the Xbox has absoloutly nothing that really intrests me enough to be worthy of the price.
Sun 29/09/02 at 13:27
Regular
GameFaqs did this poll, and 84% of the votes went towards either 'No, I still don't want one' or No, I'm too stubborn to buy one.

Ha!
Just pray Microsoft don't buy Capcom.
Sun 29/09/02 at 12:57
Regular
I'm not getting an X-Box. It'll take more than a few good games to convince me.
Sun 29/09/02 at 10:13
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
I'm buying an X-Box but I was gonna buy it anyway. RARE is an added bonus :D Anyway RARE are still gonna make GBA games so NINTENDO must still have some wierd link to RARE still.
Sun 29/09/02 at 09:16
Regular
Multi-purpose entertainment system is the way all the big three Next Gen consoles are going. Microsoft ARE interested in going down this route. They have announced a special release XBox which has TiVo functions built in. The XBox already has DVD movie playback (although u do need that special remote to unlock it). If MS were not interested in Multi-purpose consoles, why stick DVD on their machine? Why bother sticking Dolby Digital and DTS in there as well?
Sony started this idea first i think. They have plans for that HomeStation thing - if they ever make it. There is a Linux kit for PS2 already - not really a thing most gamers will ever use. And it plays DVD movies and has Dolby Digital and DTS sound.
Nintendo have the least expandable console, so going multipurpose will be difficult. The have claimed that their smaller DVD discs will be used for storing music, and video in the future. Due to the lack of capacity over normal DVD, I can't see that happening.
Sat 28/09/02 at 17:14
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> speccy geeks
Better than being a C64 geek.

> home entertainment system *cough* Xbox2 *cough*
As opposed to a 'Nintendo' Entertainment System? ... Isnt it Sony that wish to turn the console into an Entertainment centre? ...

Given that Microsoft dont make entertainment hardware (DVD players, Hi-Fi's etc..) like Sony, and given that they also have a toe or two in the PC market, theres little reason for them to push the X-Box as anything other than a games machine?

> Big business has led to the downfall of the Independent film industry,
> I really hope the games industry doesn't got the same way.
The independant games industry pretty much fell by the wayside when people were getting your grubby mitts on your SNES's and Megadrives... Games players killed it off themselves
Sat 28/09/02 at 16:03
Regular
"I confused?"
I'm getting an x-box as every game i'v played on the game cube is a pile of poo. Well maybe not all of them but certainly no replay value.
I've played on halo a lot and it's brilliant even buffy was good on the x-box. So i need to save up me cash.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.