GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So Rare go. Big deal."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/09/02 at 18:42
Regular
It's not like they're already changing the face of GC, is it. You'll probably still get Starfox and Perfect Dark. As for the rest, we haven't heard much of them yet anyway, so they won't be missed that much.

It's the truth.
Thu 12/09/02 at 19:01
Regular
I'd say that Nintendo (and Sega) are capable of providing better games than Rare do anyway.
Thu 12/09/02 at 17:03
Regular
I reckon their current GC schedule will just be ported over to the Xbox.

Kameo will be one, DK Racing with different characters will likely be another. I'm sure Rare were working on other titles too.

At early devellopment, it's relatively easy to switch console.
It's only nearer the end that true optimising starts.

It will be a pity that fans who can't afford a second console will miss out, but there's plenty of non-Rare titles on the Gamecube for them to enjoy.

Besides, they haven't got it half as bad as those Sega fans:
The poor critters have to buy ALL THREE consoles to get the whole host of new Sega games! ;-D
Thu 12/09/02 at 16:55
Regular
"not dead"
It'll be fun to wind them up when they're loving their cartoon-kiddy games.

I wonder if Rare have started developing anything for Xbox yet, as this does seem to have been in the pipeline?

It seems pretty certain now, but how long till we get to see a game?

It's a bit of a blow for Nintendo fans that can't afford a second console, as Silicon Knights and Retro Studios aren't yet big enough to fill the gap. When it comes to a time that they have multiple titles in development at any one time, it'll be different.

For the immediate future though it'll be odd not to have Rare titles to look forward to.
Thu 12/09/02 at 16:48
Regular
But according to your TradeMark topic, it seems that Nintendo own Blast Corps...

About MS fans thinking cartoony platformers are "kiddie", that's what the PS2 owners said before they got Jak and Daxter.
Likewise, the Xbox owners will feel sheepish when they're enjoying Blinx.

They're basically biased nonses who use "kiddie" as an excuse to dislike Nintendo games! :-D
Thu 12/09/02 at 16:44
Regular
"not dead"
I don't think Rare will bring titles like Banjo to the xbox though, as they just won't appeal to Xbox users, because they're 'kiddy' games.

And, to me, one FPS is pretty much the same as another, so I'm not fussed by Perfect Dark.

What Xbow owners would enjoy, and I'd love to see, would be another Blast Corps type game.
Thu 12/09/02 at 16:40
Regular
I think Rare's games devellopment abilities will do more than anything.

Goldeneye did not sell on it's name.
Thu 12/09/02 at 16:24
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Strafex wrote:
> Yeah, but Fifa gets good game sales based on it's name.
>
> Does that make it the game I want?

Yeah so, that's not the point. What I'm trying to get across is the name 'Perfect Dark' is more valuable (particularly to Microsoft, I expect) than you seem to think.
Thu 12/09/02 at 16:12
Regular
Yeah, but Fifa gets good game sales based on it's name.

Does that make it the game I want?

Personally, if Nintendo take the franchise, I don't care what they do with it. I'll be looking forward to Rare's next offering, even if it does mean having to buy a second console.
Thu 12/09/02 at 16:07
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Maybe so, but after the success of the first game, Perfect Dark is a very popular franchise that would immediately insure good game sales.
Thu 12/09/02 at 15:37
Regular
Uncle Albert wrote:

> However, this does NOT mean Starfox will be the last Rare game on
> Gamecube. Nintendo actually owns trademarks to titles like Perfect
> Dark and THIS is why no companies have confirmed anything. But trust
> me, the stuff in capitals is true. :)

Rare are trying to get Perfect Dark back.
It is theirs really, after all.

Anyway, Rare doesn't need the PD franchise.
They only created it because they didn't get the Bond liscence for Goldenye's sequel.

All they'd do is take the gameplay etc from Perfect Dark/Goldeneye (why people loved these games in the first place), and paint a new setting over it, hopefully one without pesky aliens.

I wonder what they'll come up with this time...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.