GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft IS buying Rare!!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/09/02 at 11:24
Regular
From Rarenet.com...

"
If you'll recall, a few days ago we promised big news about Microsoft and Rare. A friend of ours at everyone's favorite overly secretive software design house (that'd be Rare) told us that Rare was leaving the warm, loving embrace of Nintendo for the steely grip of Microsoft. It was the most recent in a line of stories we'd broken, culminating last week in the news that Nintendo was seeking a buyer for its portion of Rare. We held off on running this one though, waiting to get confirmation from someone else inside Rare.

Today our friends at Raretopia broke news of Rare's imminent conversion. We still haven't officially confirmed what we've heard -- the only people who know for sure still aren't talking -- but we will say this: Raretopia's account is identical to what we've heard from within Rare (except for the news of Perfect Dark being an XBOX exclusive; more on that later).

It's looking to be a near certainty that Rare will not only abandon Nintendo exclusivity, but leave Nintendo altogether and become a Microsoft-exclusive developer. We wouldn't stake our lives on it, but barring an extensive, carefully orchestrated misinformation campaign -- and a bit of bad luck -- we now believe SFA will be Rare's last game as a Nintendo-exclusive second party.

To clear up some questions:

-The reason we were so dead-set on obtaining confirmation is because Dan thought it unacceptably likely that we were being jerked around, so to speak. Knowing Raretopia's reputation for careful and accurate reporting makes this possibility less likely to us.

-Rare's corporate culture seems to have been permeated with indecision or a change in direction. Additional reports include a virtual freeze on hiring at the company, leading some to believe that Rare is delaying its expansion until its development target is known, and it can better account for positions and areas of expertise it needs to fill. For a company on the grow, a multi-month hiring freeze is ... not the right strategy, even in today's wintry economic climate.

-We said that our source did not say that Perfect Dark Zero was being reformed as an XBOX exclusive; it is true, he did not say that. Nor did he say that it would NOT be XBOX exclusive. It just, uh, didn't come up in our conversation.

There you have it. It's looking like Rare on the Gamecube may be a short-lived phenomenon. As we've all grown accustomed to, don't count your eggs before Rare, Nintendo and/or Microsoft make an official statement. But if you bought a Gamecube solely for Rare games ... you may have to amuse yourself with Star Fox Adventures for a long, long time. Me? I'm buying an XBOX tonight
"

Well...
Sat 07/09/02 at 22:40
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
nah i still won;t believe it. wtf you on about for online Perfect dark btw???

the whole online thing has yet to actually take off mainly due to people not having fast connections.
Sat 07/09/02 at 22:25
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:

> Damn dirty Gates and his stinky fingers getting everywhere, stealing
> Rare from Nintendo, if he thinks this is gonna help Xbox sales that
> much then he's got another thing coming.

Ahem...

Darn swines!

First they make me buy an N64 for Goldeneye, and now I'll have to go get myself an Xbox.

Starfox will doubtlessly follow through, although I expect it might well be the last Gamecube game. Nintendo might sell their shares back if a deal like this goes through.

In some ways, it'll be just like old days.
With very few games out on the N64, Rare pretty much owned it.
The only games that could compete with theirs were Nintendo's own, and they only came out once every 6 months - plenty of market to share.

Now the Gamecube has every third party under the sun, Rare have lost a lot of their focus, and Nintendo's short n' sweet policy isn't the way Rare likes to work.

Also, Nintendo have gained enough support to manage without Rare if need be.

MS will gain FAR more than Nintendo will loose.
So far, the only Xbox titles with any form of imagination whatsoever have all come from Sega. Rare have learnt a lot from Nintendo and will help fill a void of quirky games that the current Xbox line-up lacks.

Also, I think that Perfect Dark 2/0 will benefit from the Xbox in some ways - Nintendo doesn't have proper plans for online/console-link-up play.

And it will compliment the Halo series - they're both FPS games but Halo's more of a traditional PC style while Perfect Dark uses a console based system. Both work well in their different ways and you'd want both really.

So Rare might have just gone for cash, they might have fallen out with Nintendo for wanting short 'n sweet titles.
Perhaps Rare see that MS desperately need them much more than Nintendo do! :-)

Either way, if MS continue at this rate of price cuts, by the time Rare get round to releasing anything, the Xbox will be so cheap, we'll all be able to get one anyway. :-D

Nothing to get too worried about.
Sat 07/09/02 at 21:12
Regular
What in Swansea is going on?
Sat 07/09/02 at 21:08
I hope you're not questioning me Mrs Chick.

Lesser people have questioned me and not lived to tell the tale.....is my breath really that bad?
Sat 07/09/02 at 21:04
Intoxicated Hippy wrote:
> Microsoft try to buy everything, hell the othr week Bill tryed to buy
> my Mum, so I stamped on his Geek glasses and kicked him in his
> tacticals.

Ofcourse dear...
Sat 07/09/02 at 21:00
Microsoft try to buy everything, hell the othr week Bill tryed to buy my Mum, so I stamped on his Geek glasses and kicked him in his tacticals.
Sat 07/09/02 at 20:55
Regular
Even if this contract Nintendo had with Rare is over - Nintendo still own 25% of the company.

So even if Microsoft did buy a share in the company - it wouldn't be Nintendo's share - being competitors 'n' all. It would most likely be some other percentage share in the company and games not based on franchises by Nintendo, would most likely go between both formats.

However, until Nintendo or Rare make an announcement, I'm not going to believe anything.
Sat 07/09/02 at 19:30
Regular
*Couldn't care less*
Sat 07/09/02 at 19:26
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Lies
Sat 07/09/02 at 19:21
Regular
"i am fubby"
Whitestripes wrote:
> Whats the big deal? Rare's N64 games were dissapointing, sure they
> were good games of course, but Banjo never was quite as good as Mario
> 64, Diddy Kong racing wasn't a patch on Mario Kart, CBFD was funny,
> but too short, and I'd much rather have Zelda. As for DK64, well, that
> was a little puddle of p*ss. Goldeneye was awesome, but I didn't
> bother buying Perfect Dark (by the way, did anyone else think that PD
> multi-player was crap? The levels were awful and the weapons were
> average), I also didn't bother buying Banjo-Tooie or Jet Force Jemini,
> they weren't good enough.

point well made, the only good rare game is conkers, but still that got boring after a few weeks whereas i was playing on mario 64 for at least 2 months

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.