GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft IS buying Rare!!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/09/02 at 11:24
Regular
From Rarenet.com...

"
If you'll recall, a few days ago we promised big news about Microsoft and Rare. A friend of ours at everyone's favorite overly secretive software design house (that'd be Rare) told us that Rare was leaving the warm, loving embrace of Nintendo for the steely grip of Microsoft. It was the most recent in a line of stories we'd broken, culminating last week in the news that Nintendo was seeking a buyer for its portion of Rare. We held off on running this one though, waiting to get confirmation from someone else inside Rare.

Today our friends at Raretopia broke news of Rare's imminent conversion. We still haven't officially confirmed what we've heard -- the only people who know for sure still aren't talking -- but we will say this: Raretopia's account is identical to what we've heard from within Rare (except for the news of Perfect Dark being an XBOX exclusive; more on that later).

It's looking to be a near certainty that Rare will not only abandon Nintendo exclusivity, but leave Nintendo altogether and become a Microsoft-exclusive developer. We wouldn't stake our lives on it, but barring an extensive, carefully orchestrated misinformation campaign -- and a bit of bad luck -- we now believe SFA will be Rare's last game as a Nintendo-exclusive second party.

To clear up some questions:

-The reason we were so dead-set on obtaining confirmation is because Dan thought it unacceptably likely that we were being jerked around, so to speak. Knowing Raretopia's reputation for careful and accurate reporting makes this possibility less likely to us.

-Rare's corporate culture seems to have been permeated with indecision or a change in direction. Additional reports include a virtual freeze on hiring at the company, leading some to believe that Rare is delaying its expansion until its development target is known, and it can better account for positions and areas of expertise it needs to fill. For a company on the grow, a multi-month hiring freeze is ... not the right strategy, even in today's wintry economic climate.

-We said that our source did not say that Perfect Dark Zero was being reformed as an XBOX exclusive; it is true, he did not say that. Nor did he say that it would NOT be XBOX exclusive. It just, uh, didn't come up in our conversation.

There you have it. It's looking like Rare on the Gamecube may be a short-lived phenomenon. As we've all grown accustomed to, don't count your eggs before Rare, Nintendo and/or Microsoft make an official statement. But if you bought a Gamecube solely for Rare games ... you may have to amuse yourself with Star Fox Adventures for a long, long time. Me? I'm buying an XBOX tonight
"

Well...
Sat 07/09/02 at 19:12
Regular
"sweats salad dressi"
no please say its not true

i love perfect dark its one of the best FPS that ever came out

Rare you dorks come back to nintendo where you belong. and if you dont nintendo could at least by sega.
Sat 07/09/02 at 19:07
Regular
Whats the big deal? Rare's N64 games were dissapointing, sure they were good games of course, but Banjo never was quite as good as Mario 64, Diddy Kong racing wasn't a patch on Mario Kart, CBFD was funny, but too short, and I'd much rather have Zelda. As for DK64, well, that was a little puddle of p*ss. Goldeneye was awesome, but I didn't bother buying Perfect Dark (by the way, did anyone else think that PD multi-player was crap? The levels were awful and the weapons were average), I also didn't bother buying Banjo-Tooie or Jet Force Jemini, they weren't good enough.

I'm getting Starfox Adventers obviously, but i'm certain Zelda will be better. The fact is, Rare make all the same games Nintendo make, but Nintendo make them better. And now Nintendo have branched into FPS as well, not to mention horror games, do you really *need* Rare games? Out of the 49 GC games I want, only two were Rare, Starfox and Kameo, which is 'grown-up' Pokemon.
Sat 07/09/02 at 16:49
Regular
Taken from ComputerAndVideoGames.com:

----------

MICROSOFT RARE "RUMOUR" SOLIDIFIES

We don't know about you lot, but we just love the smell of gossip in the morning: head in for the latest round of scuttlebutt

14:41 Glorious. Just as you think things are getting dull, the entire British games industry suddenly reckons that Microsoft is on the verge of buying British super-developer Rare, the company behind such classics as Banjo-Kazooie and GoldenEye. If you listen carefully, you can actually hear us stiffening. Perfect Dark on Xbox? Read on for fun.
As we reported earlier this week, rumours of Microsoft in talks with the company is nothing new. What is fresh is that first- and third-party sources alike are now claiming a deal is close to completion.

"From what we know the talk of the deal actually being signed isn't true, but first-party sources have told us that both parties are currently in the process of finalising," said a senior publishing source this morning.

"From people we know within Rare, we know that various different companies have turned up and had a good look at the place, the most serious one being Microsoft," added a senior third-party source close to the Twycross-based developer. "We have no idea whether or not this is going ahead, but on a personal level it wouldn't surprise me in the least."

"I've been told it's MS, and I've been told there's a very good chance this is going to happen," added another high-level British developer.

Current talk is that the Stamper brothers, the guys behind the entire Rare saga, simply want to take the money and run. They currently own a controlling 51% of the company.

"They always said they were in it for the long term, but that's what you would say," said the first source, a major British gaming figure. "It's your company: you'd never, ever admit to wanting to leave it.

"On the one hand they've made an enormous amount of money over the past few years. They don't need any more money. On the other hand you'd be stupid to build a company up to that sort of size, as they have done, and then not try and collect the money on it. If you've got a company that's got a successful record, then there's obviously an optimum time for selling.

"I personally think Rare's past that, but there's still an awful lot of value in the Rare name. I'm sure Microsoft can be very persuasive."

Rumour of the deal being confirmed at X02 has been snubbed this morning, but there's no smoke without fire. Well, there is sometimes, but then who cares? We're taking bets now: who'll have a punt on Microsoft buying Rare at evens? Roll up...

----------

See? Nothing to worry about.
Sat 07/09/02 at 16:43
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> Why won't StarFox be good because Nintendo helped?

I meant starfox wont be a good sign of who well rare are with out the people who left for radical design becuase nintendo helpped them.

Soz i missed out a whole section of words for some reason.
Sat 07/09/02 at 16:33
Regular
Why won't StarFox be good because Nintendo helped?
Sat 07/09/02 at 16:32
Regular
Savatt78 wrote:
> I loved playing Conker's BFD on the N64. If it comes out on X-Box,
> I'll be well happy. :-)

Who says it will be as good as the first one, it could be a flop.

Its like when everyone was going on about how MIB2 will be great as the first one was brill, then it came out and people then went on about how it was rubbish.
Sat 07/09/02 at 16:29
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I loved playing Conker's BFD on the N64. If it comes out on X-Box, I'll be well happy. :-)
Sat 07/09/02 at 16:24
Regular
CAnt we all just wait and see if rare actually can make GOOD games on their own?

Like Mr. snuggly said most of the good developers are on radical design or what ever they are called.

Starfox wont be good as nintendo helped, i say wait for PD0 and/or conkers to see what happens.
Sat 07/09/02 at 16:09
Regular
Well for maximum profit, they'd go multi-format. Not many people own an X-Box, so sales wouldn't be as good if they were GameCube exclusives or PS2 exclusives. Rare's going multi-format, if anything.
Sat 07/09/02 at 16:07
Regular
Savatt78 wrote:
> Thing is though mate, you kinda contradict yourself. ;-))

Yeah well ummmm...ummmmmm

*runs*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.