GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft IS buying Rare!!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/09/02 at 11:24
Regular
From Rarenet.com...

"
If you'll recall, a few days ago we promised big news about Microsoft and Rare. A friend of ours at everyone's favorite overly secretive software design house (that'd be Rare) told us that Rare was leaving the warm, loving embrace of Nintendo for the steely grip of Microsoft. It was the most recent in a line of stories we'd broken, culminating last week in the news that Nintendo was seeking a buyer for its portion of Rare. We held off on running this one though, waiting to get confirmation from someone else inside Rare.

Today our friends at Raretopia broke news of Rare's imminent conversion. We still haven't officially confirmed what we've heard -- the only people who know for sure still aren't talking -- but we will say this: Raretopia's account is identical to what we've heard from within Rare (except for the news of Perfect Dark being an XBOX exclusive; more on that later).

It's looking to be a near certainty that Rare will not only abandon Nintendo exclusivity, but leave Nintendo altogether and become a Microsoft-exclusive developer. We wouldn't stake our lives on it, but barring an extensive, carefully orchestrated misinformation campaign -- and a bit of bad luck -- we now believe SFA will be Rare's last game as a Nintendo-exclusive second party.

To clear up some questions:

-The reason we were so dead-set on obtaining confirmation is because Dan thought it unacceptably likely that we were being jerked around, so to speak. Knowing Raretopia's reputation for careful and accurate reporting makes this possibility less likely to us.

-Rare's corporate culture seems to have been permeated with indecision or a change in direction. Additional reports include a virtual freeze on hiring at the company, leading some to believe that Rare is delaying its expansion until its development target is known, and it can better account for positions and areas of expertise it needs to fill. For a company on the grow, a multi-month hiring freeze is ... not the right strategy, even in today's wintry economic climate.

-We said that our source did not say that Perfect Dark Zero was being reformed as an XBOX exclusive; it is true, he did not say that. Nor did he say that it would NOT be XBOX exclusive. It just, uh, didn't come up in our conversation.

There you have it. It's looking like Rare on the Gamecube may be a short-lived phenomenon. As we've all grown accustomed to, don't count your eggs before Rare, Nintendo and/or Microsoft make an official statement. But if you bought a Gamecube solely for Rare games ... you may have to amuse yourself with Star Fox Adventures for a long, long time. Me? I'm buying an XBOX tonight
"

Well...
Sun 08/09/02 at 16:48
Regular
"not dead"
Rare made Blast Corps.

Blast Corps ruled.

DK64 ruled.

Banjo Tooie sucked.

Goldeneye was great, but I couldn't get into Perfect Dark.

Conker was excellent and Jet Force Gemini was alright.

DKR was good, but no Mario Kart.

There's no doubt they've produced some great games, and will continue to do so on any platform, but there's life in the Gamecube without them. It's sold well without a Rare game so far.

If they go, I'll miss their quirkiness in their games, if they stay I'll buy their games, and hopefully enjoy them.
Sun 08/09/02 at 16:07
Regular
Fact is Rare are THAT god, I just don't think some of you want to admit it now they might be going to Microsoft. The majority of their games are way above, maybe even miles above the standard of games coming from most companies.
Sun 08/09/02 at 15:57
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Starfpx Adventures.

Name dropping, my forté.
Sun 08/09/02 at 15:39
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Harsh. But I agree with you quite a bit there.
Sun 08/09/02 at 14:19
Regular
Ok the games i think of rare for are:
Perfect dark
Goldeneye
Banjo 1 + 2
JFG
Conkers BFD
Diddy kong racing
Donkey kong 64

Those are the main ones, i cant think of any more.

But lets look at them, DKR,DK64, JFG and banjo 2(well i think it wasnt as good as the first one) were all rubbish. DKR and JFG was repetative and banjo 2 didnt get any better than the first one making it worse, if you get what i mean.

Conkers BFD was good and i enjoyed but i found the 1 player too slow and the good bits were really only in the cutscenes, and the good parts of the games were really short (vetrix for example).

Banjo 1 was, like someone said, good but mario was better.

Leaving goldeneye and PD.

Now goldeneye made the rare company as big as it is today, but bear in mind that it was the first time a game like that was seen on a home console. Goldeneye was good, in fact one of the top 10 best computer games ever.
Perfect dark, is the best game ever i think, but like Mr.snuggly said the last few levels were rubbish becuase most of the good developers left at that time.

And becuase of that im not thinking rare are actually any good any more, we will have to wait and see. This could be why nintendo dont seem to be putting up such a fight.

The only game by rare i would like to play on is PD0 but like i said it could be bad, and i think i can live without it seeming like so many FPS are in development now.
Sun 08/09/02 at 00:24
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Yes. I concur.
Sat 07/09/02 at 23:13
Regular
"Don't Mess Yourself"
gerrid wrote:
> Lies

ine-san wrote:
> How incredibly true. This topic is rubbish.
Sat 07/09/02 at 22:59
Yeah but rumour is that the Stamper brothers have been meeting up with Bill and fondling his box for the last 5 months. Bill's so excited at the prospect of getting them on his box that's he's actually gone in them...I mean inside their orifices I mean offices to confirm their package.
Sat 07/09/02 at 22:55
Strafex wrote:

>
> Starfox will doubtlessly follow through, although I expect it might
> well be the last Gamecube game. Nintendo might sell their shares back
> if a deal like this goes through.

Remember, whilst Nintendo have a share in Rareware, they have some control over the company. Microsoft wouldn't get everything their way unless Nintendo did sell up their share.
Sat 07/09/02 at 22:53
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
rare know that if they become Xbox exclusive they will die in the water and noone will be interested.

I would hope that either

a. rare will still be nintendo exclusive and these rumours are started by shady MS people trying to stir things up

or

b. rare are becoming independant of nintendo and going multiformat. Meaning they do nintendo stuff and xbox stuff. But would keep certain games exclusive to certain consoles (ie sega with monkey ball etc)

worst of all...

c. MS are buying rare and rare stuff will ONLY ever appear on microsoft stuff.

Personally id be very happy with a and b would be fine as long as perfect dark comes to gamecube.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.