GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft IS buying Rare!!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/09/02 at 11:24
Regular
From Rarenet.com...

"
If you'll recall, a few days ago we promised big news about Microsoft and Rare. A friend of ours at everyone's favorite overly secretive software design house (that'd be Rare) told us that Rare was leaving the warm, loving embrace of Nintendo for the steely grip of Microsoft. It was the most recent in a line of stories we'd broken, culminating last week in the news that Nintendo was seeking a buyer for its portion of Rare. We held off on running this one though, waiting to get confirmation from someone else inside Rare.

Today our friends at Raretopia broke news of Rare's imminent conversion. We still haven't officially confirmed what we've heard -- the only people who know for sure still aren't talking -- but we will say this: Raretopia's account is identical to what we've heard from within Rare (except for the news of Perfect Dark being an XBOX exclusive; more on that later).

It's looking to be a near certainty that Rare will not only abandon Nintendo exclusivity, but leave Nintendo altogether and become a Microsoft-exclusive developer. We wouldn't stake our lives on it, but barring an extensive, carefully orchestrated misinformation campaign -- and a bit of bad luck -- we now believe SFA will be Rare's last game as a Nintendo-exclusive second party.

To clear up some questions:

-The reason we were so dead-set on obtaining confirmation is because Dan thought it unacceptably likely that we were being jerked around, so to speak. Knowing Raretopia's reputation for careful and accurate reporting makes this possibility less likely to us.

-Rare's corporate culture seems to have been permeated with indecision or a change in direction. Additional reports include a virtual freeze on hiring at the company, leading some to believe that Rare is delaying its expansion until its development target is known, and it can better account for positions and areas of expertise it needs to fill. For a company on the grow, a multi-month hiring freeze is ... not the right strategy, even in today's wintry economic climate.

-We said that our source did not say that Perfect Dark Zero was being reformed as an XBOX exclusive; it is true, he did not say that. Nor did he say that it would NOT be XBOX exclusive. It just, uh, didn't come up in our conversation.

There you have it. It's looking like Rare on the Gamecube may be a short-lived phenomenon. As we've all grown accustomed to, don't count your eggs before Rare, Nintendo and/or Microsoft make an official statement. But if you bought a Gamecube solely for Rare games ... you may have to amuse yourself with Star Fox Adventures for a long, long time. Me? I'm buying an XBOX tonight
"

Well...
Mon 09/09/02 at 21:47
Regular
Mantis wrote:
> Original topic writer wrote:
> Rare was leaving the warm, loving embrace of Nintendo
>
> LOL, Nintendo and MS are BOTH miltibillion pound corparations.
> Nintendo do not love you, they love your cash. :P

Maybe so, but they're not as money hungry as some companies.
Mon 09/09/02 at 21:44
"possibly impossible"
I'm still waiting to see the evidence with my own eyes. Either way, I won't lose as I have both formats, but I agree that it would be the end of an era if Nintendo lost Rare.

Still, I remember the days when rare were a multiformat company, ah, Ultimate: play the game indeed.
Mon 09/09/02 at 21:06
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Original topic writer wrote:
> Rare was leaving the warm, loving embrace of Nintendo

LOL, Nintendo and MS are BOTH miltibillion pound corparations. Nintendo do not love you, they love your cash. :P

So, I've heard Rare already recieved Xbox Dev kits and the deal has gone through. As an Xbox gamer all I can say is :).

MS chose wisely, Rare are worth every penny.
Mon 09/09/02 at 10:28
Regular
Rare gone to MS, its a bit of history in the making.
Sun 08/09/02 at 19:28
Regular
You are aware Raretopia talk crap? I attacked them on my website, they really haven't a sodding clue.
Sun 08/09/02 at 17:38
Regular
Im only posting this in here becuase this forum had no longest topic thing, and im sure most people will read this, i hope.

Can any girls sign up for my spoof in the nintendo forum, i really need at least one girl to be in it.

As for the whole rare thing:
I see no point in rare staying at nintendo if its true that its their last console.
Sun 08/09/02 at 17:21
"For the horde!!!!"
Cyclone wrote:
> What do Rare actualy have to gain by moving just to Microsoft and not
> either stating with Nintendo or going multi?
>
> Nintendo have a larger sales base (GBA included) and multi could make
> them loads of money.
>
> So why?

maybe Bill Gates offered a van full of money to them.
Sun 08/09/02 at 17:19
does this mean that rare games will be released on the pc, or just the xbox?
Sun 08/09/02 at 16:54
Regular
"gsybe you!"
What do Rare actualy have to gain by moving just to Microsoft and not either stating with Nintendo or going multi?

Nintendo have a larger sales base (GBA included) and multi could make them loads of money.

So why?
Sun 08/09/02 at 16:50
Regular
*shakes fist at Meka*

Banjo Tooie ruled.

:D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.