GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft buy Rare?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/09/02 at 13:47
Regular
Thought you guys would be intrested in this if you haven't already see it

Please not that none of this article has been confirmed yet, and it's all just rumour.

Activision didn't have enough money, but Bill 'Richie Rich' Gates's company was willing to knock down 350 million for them. This is about 500 million Euro/dollar.

Microsoft is said to have held a meeting recently with Rare in a hotel near Twycross, the developer's base. A deal was made, and Microsoft will make make a big announcement at their X02 event in Seville later this month, where the company will showcase new exclusive Xbox titles.

The rumour continues. Perfect Dar Zero will be developed exclusively for Xbox. That would also be the reason why we haven't heard from it anymore since last year's E3.

Hmmmmm is this true, you guess is as good as mine.
Tue 03/09/02 at 20:25
Regular
"Ninty's best friend"
garbe123 wrote:
> Can I just ask, what has the GameCube shown that the Xbox hasn't? Yes
> it has sold more but that uis down to the fact that people don't trust
> Microsoft at the moment, but more and more are doing! Lets face it,
> what GameCube game beats Halo (be honest :D)? What GameCube racing
> game beats Project Gotham Racing and RalliSport Challenge? What
> GameCube game has shown the graphics level of Dead or Alive 3 the game
> hailed as the best looking game ever to be created and you would only
> know if you had played it? What GameCube shooting game is better than
> Gun Valryrie? What GameCube snowboarding game beats the graphical and
> sound level found Amped? What GameCube game supports 5.1 surround
> sound never mind full?! (You can't answer that one because the
> GameCube doesn't have a chip to support 5.1, only pro logic)
>
> PLEASE DON'T CALL ME AN XBOX FANBOY THEY ARE ONLY QUERIES! One other
> thing, I am not saying the GameCube doesn't have any good games as it
> does have PLENTY, but I have seen enough people ask questions like
> those on here and I feel that I am entitled to as well. Also don't go
> on what is DUE OUT on the GameCube because that is all I here people
> talk about and I can also make a list, be factual and say which games
> that are out can challenge in those departments. Also if anyone has
> any suggestions of VERY GOOD GameCube games I would appreciate some
> help as I am getting one soon, I plan to get the 2 Resident Evil games
> but I *DISLIKE* platform games and Myth style RPG'S. I am a big fan of
> First Person Shooter fan and I will look into Prime further (even
> though I have read a few previews).

nice points made, shame none of the nintys will give a good answer.

there still dumb enough to think that metroid is gonna be a Halo better and it's not even close.

everything the GC has isn't as good as the x box spec wise.

the GC got ATi for there graphics chip but microsoft got Nvidia and you've only got to look at the PC market to see which chip maker sell's better.

the GC got Dolby pro logic where as x box got DD 5.1 which is better by far.

Also X box uses full size DVD disks meaning more storage for game data and GC only has half sized disks.
Tue 03/09/02 at 20:23
Regular
Oops I missed something out :D I didn't mean the GameCube has only sold more because people don't trust Microsoft, the console has to good in the first place to sell over 1 million units in Europe (latest figures from Official Nintendo GameCube magazine). I highlighted the text and started to type over it, the bit I typed previously was meant to be an add-on to this :)
Tue 03/09/02 at 20:19
Regular
Can I just ask, what has the GameCube shown that the Xbox hasn't? Yes it has sold more but that uis down to the fact that people don't trust Microsoft at the moment, but more and more are doing! Lets face it, what GameCube game beats Halo (be honest :D)? What GameCube racing game beats Project Gotham Racing and RalliSport Challenge? What GameCube game has shown the graphics level of Dead or Alive 3 the game hailed as the best looking game ever to be created and you would only know if you had played it? What GameCube shooting game is better than Gun Valryrie? What GameCube snowboarding game beats the graphical and sound level found Amped? What GameCube game supports 5.1 surround sound never mind full?! (You can't answer that one because the GameCube doesn't have a chip to support 5.1, only pro logic)

PLEASE DON'T CALL ME AN XBOX FANBOY THEY ARE ONLY QUERIES! One other thing, I am not saying the GameCube doesn't have any good games as it does have PLENTY, but I have seen enough people ask questions like those on here and I feel that I am entitled to as well. Also don't go on what is DUE OUT on the GameCube because that is all I here people talk about and I can also make a list, be factual and say which games that are out can challenge in those departments. Also if anyone has any suggestions of VERY GOOD GameCube games I would appreciate some help as I am getting one soon, I plan to get the 2 Resident Evil games but I *DISLIKE* platform games and Myth style RPG'S. I am a big fan of First Person Shooter fan and I will look into Prime further (even though I have read a few previews).
Tue 03/09/02 at 19:50
Regular
To be honest wiht you I can't see that Rare will be exclusive to Xbox. Surely the best thing for them would be to go multi format. I can't see that any amount of money that Microsoft throw at them would persuade them to be exclusive to a console that let's face hasn't showed that much promise so far in its short life.
Tue 03/09/02 at 19:01
Regular
Rare games on Xbox?

Cool!

Just found this over at www.xboxrules.com: -

"17:18 UK sources indicated today that the long-rumoured Microsoft take-over move on Rare may be imminent. Insiders have now set a price of £350 million for the developer, which at the moment is owned by Nintendo to the tune of 49 percent of its stock.
Rare refused to comment on the speculation today.

The news is looking likely to be a jigsaw piece that slots in nicely to make a final, Rare-shaped picture. Talk is heating up today regarding an apparently huge announcement at Microsoft's X02 event in Seville later this month, which will be specifically software related. Rumour has been constant recently regarding the next Perfect Dark game heading exclusively to Xbox. See what we mean?

More. Chatter of the Stamper brothers, founders of the developer, looking to sell up has been circulating for more than a year. It's now widely well known that Activision looked seriously at buying the outfit earlier this year, but British sources this morning hinted that Rare was simply too rich for the publisher's blood.

Microsoft is said to have held a meeting recently with Rare in a hotel near Twycross, the developer's base. Exactly the same talk emerged when Activision was looking over the company's book.

Even more. Rare appears to have cancelled two projects recently, removing the links to the games from the company's website. "It's simply due to updating the site," said Rare by way of explanation last month. Still "updating" then, are you boys? Apparently so.

"There's one guy running the website here," said a Rare employee today. "He's got fairly minimal support, so he's doing all of that at the same time as doing all the instruction books."

The games are still under development, the source added. Current speculation suggests the titles are being doctored to remove Donkey Kong, a Nintendo property, from the games.

Obviously, there's more. When questioned on the state of Nintendo's relationship with Rare at E3 this year, Nintendo heavyweights would only say that the only Rare game being shown for GameCube was Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur planet because that was the only title coming out in this financial year. Then they said refused to say anything else. We suggest you look carefully at the huge gaps between these lines.

While Microsoft remained unavailable for comment today, don't expect this to go away. As soon as we hear more, we'll let you know. "

We'll have to wait and see.
Tue 03/09/02 at 18:14
Regular
~Resurection~ wrote:
> oh joy we get a few crappy games from a crappy ninty developer oh joy.

Oh God, you really have no idea do you?
Tue 03/09/02 at 18:12
Regular
"Ninty's best friend"
auf deutsch wrote:
> ~Resurection~ wrote:
> oh joy we get a few crappy games from a crappy ninty developer oh
> joy.
>
> Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were both in the same league as Halo if not
> better so don't go calling Rare crap...

LOL there in completly seperate divisions mate :)
Tue 03/09/02 at 18:09
Regular
~Resurection~ wrote:
> oh joy we get a few crappy games from a crappy ninty developer oh joy.

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were both in the same league as Halo if not better so don't go calling Rare crap...
Tue 03/09/02 at 16:52
Regular
"Ninty's best friend"
oh joy we get a few crappy games from a crappy ninty developer oh joy.
Tue 03/09/02 at 16:15
Regular
To be honest if Rare where bought out by Microsoft then it wouldn't be so bad, if they where bought by Sony then i'd cry. I wouldn't mind having to buy an Xbox bu i'd nevber in a million years want a PS2.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.