GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft buy Rare?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/09/02 at 13:47
Regular
Thought you guys would be intrested in this if you haven't already see it

Please not that none of this article has been confirmed yet, and it's all just rumour.

Activision didn't have enough money, but Bill 'Richie Rich' Gates's company was willing to knock down 350 million for them. This is about 500 million Euro/dollar.

Microsoft is said to have held a meeting recently with Rare in a hotel near Twycross, the developer's base. A deal was made, and Microsoft will make make a big announcement at their X02 event in Seville later this month, where the company will showcase new exclusive Xbox titles.

The rumour continues. Perfect Dar Zero will be developed exclusively for Xbox. That would also be the reason why we haven't heard from it anymore since last year's E3.

Hmmmmm is this true, you guess is as good as mine.
Wed 04/09/02 at 22:41
Regular
garbe123 wrote:
Also, if you think Waverace which is
> one of the most pathetic and easy racers I have played

You can't compare Wave Race to Halo they're completly different games you silly boy.

You haven't actually played it anyway have you?

If you have then you'd realise that Wave Race: Blue Storm is not an easy game. The expert level is very very very hard.

Oh and as for your comments on Pikmin, you haven't played it so don't comment on it.
Wed 04/09/02 at 22:29
Regular
garbe123 wrote:
>Also I said in all departments
> not just 4 hours play like Pikmin where you control a flower! LOL, I
> suggest you get an Xbox and see what Halo is like for real, comments
> like I played at my mates house don't qualify!

I don't think you've played Pikmin.

Halo is a very good game - the best FPS around.
But all it did was take an established genre, add a few neat tricks (which is good, but not AMAZING) and polish it with a good game engine.

The sort of creativity and ingenuity that went into the design of Pikmin is way beyond the capabilities of MS or Bungie.
Not that I'm slating them, but I don't think that you should then go and slate Pikmin.

It's a brand new idea, fantastically playable and ingeniusly designed.
Yes, it's short (around the 12 hour mark), but it's got plenty of replay value, and seeing as it's the first time a game like this has been made before, and that it was develloped within a year - compared to Bungie's 2+ years of slugging away at Halo despite working from existing templates in design and game engine - I don't think it should be dismissed so easily.
Wed 04/09/02 at 20:15
Regular
In reply to Whitestripes, I aren't reslly interested in Rare games bar Perfect Dark, but to see it taken away from your precious GameCube will mean more than gold to me! Also, if you think Waverace which is one of the most pathetic and easy racers I have played contends with Halo you need your head checking LOL! Also I said in all departments not just 4 hours play like Pikmin where you control a flower! LOL, I suggest you get an Xbox and see what Halo is like for real, comments like I played at my mates house don't qualify! I had played a GameCube long time before you and even borrowed one last December for 2 weeks whilst my friend went to Florida! It was imported before you start on your funny comments, correct me if I am wrong, but Whitestripes had Driven on his top ten list in the Nintendo forum! LOL!

One last thing, pro logic can't hold a candle to 5.1 and you know it! EVERY SINGLE Xbox game supports 5.1 when will you realise that Pro Logic on the GameCube isn't even used in many games, not that you are missing out on much ;)

It just goes to show that you don't read my posts before replying! I said DON'T LIST games that are due out because that is all you say, aren't most of the great games made by Rare anyway, LOL! Oops!

RalliSport challenge is an Xbox console exclusive so I am sorry to disappoint you there :) The only other platform it is due out on is PC! READ THE XBOX BOX (that rhymed :D) to see!

It really makes me laugh that you are constantly protesting how good the GameCube is in an Xbox forum, but why aren't you playing it? LOL, others are aloud there say including a notable who owns a GameCube about other consoles and I am having mine!
Wed 04/09/02 at 19:13
Regular
I havent read most of the replies but dont forget many thing rare have made have been helpped by nintendo, so maybe things dont come out on Xbox which was on N64.

But i dont care as i have an Xbox and GC, im lucky.

As for people who havent id wait until the end of the 3 consoles life and get them cheap.

Id go on but people would acuse me of being a fan boy.
Wed 04/09/02 at 18:24
Regular
I think Rare want to develop for a more wider audience of consoles including the Xbox and GC, after all Starfox Adventures is the only game coming from Rare HQ at the moment.

Staying with Nintendo is obviously taking its toll on the developer - not being able to develop on different platforms...
Wed 04/09/02 at 18:10
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I imagine Rare would want to develop (if at all) for a wider market, to make more cash, suggesting that they would either stick with Nintendo or go multi, not just go to another company for exclusives.

I hope.
Wed 04/09/02 at 18:05
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Its probably best to just let this news go until something is confirmed rather than just go mental about rumours - afterall I think everyones lost count of the different things Rare are supposedly doing lately. ;-))
Wed 04/09/02 at 16:43
Regular
Whys everyone argueing about Rare moving to xbox?

I think its great news, But its unlikely they'll go exclusive, most likely just on the Xbox and GC, The PS2 is'nt involved in this issue.
Wed 04/09/02 at 15:03
Regular
Low quality? I think not. There really isn't much difference! Your right about the subwoofer though, and sometimes sounds from behind get blurred with a front speaker, but it is still good surround sound.
Wed 04/09/02 at 14:15
Regular
These arguments just go round in circles, lets put a stop to this.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.