GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft buy Rare?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/09/02 at 13:47
Regular
Thought you guys would be intrested in this if you haven't already see it

Please not that none of this article has been confirmed yet, and it's all just rumour.

Activision didn't have enough money, but Bill 'Richie Rich' Gates's company was willing to knock down 350 million for them. This is about 500 million Euro/dollar.

Microsoft is said to have held a meeting recently with Rare in a hotel near Twycross, the developer's base. A deal was made, and Microsoft will make make a big announcement at their X02 event in Seville later this month, where the company will showcase new exclusive Xbox titles.

The rumour continues. Perfect Dar Zero will be developed exclusively for Xbox. That would also be the reason why we haven't heard from it anymore since last year's E3.

Hmmmmm is this true, you guess is as good as mine.
Wed 04/09/02 at 12:36
Whitestripes wrote:
> I've already written about this, and I suggest you wait until you
> actually have it before you pass it of as a major selling point,
> because it isn't one. Sure it's great to have, but it doesn't affect
> the descion to buy a game at all. As I've already said, Pro Logic II
> is barely noticeable in quality form 5.1, and yes I do have both,
> which is more than you isn't it?

I have both (5.1 (DTS) and Pro Logic II) and I think that there is a HUGE difference in sound. You may have a low quality 5.1 system or a high quality Pro Logic but either way 5.1 is streets ahead.

1. The back speakers in pro logic share a channel (mono) meaning that there is only behind, while in 5.1 they have seperate channels meaning tht you can hear exactly where an explosion came from.

2. The Subwoofer isn't on an LFE (low frequency effects) channel, meaning that it makes sound but it's not a pure bass, while 5.1 has a seperate channel for the sub, making for a much smoother bass.

3. Pro logic doesn't help you nearly as much in gameplay as 5.1 does. For example, in Halo with 5.1 you don't need to look at the radar most times because you can pinpoint with your ears where enemy fire is coming from, from every angle. In Pro Logic behind you is a blind spot as you can hear there's something behind you but not where it actually is.
In another example, playing a racing game say PGR you can hear the cars come up on your left or right side giving you advice of how to take a corner whilst keeping your position in the race. In Pro Logic they are just behind you just telling you you need to watch for overtaking cars.

Pro Logic is basically some stereo speakers with a sub and a mono at the back, so you have some bass and an extra channel compared with your TV, While 5.1 has 3 extra channels of sound AND a dedicated bass.
DD 5.1 DTS wins hands down I'm afraid Whitestripes.
Wed 04/09/02 at 10:07
Regular
~Resurection~ wrote:
> it [Halo] was [being develloped for] a PC idiot and it actualy looks better on x box and the game
> has changed a lot as well.

No. It was being designed for the Mac.

> please someone tell him for christ sake you machine is not as powerful
> graphicaly duh

It is more or less.
Yes, I know you've seen the specs but they generally mean jack.

MS printed the Xbox's raw potential while Nintendo did an in-game estimate.
The Gamecube practically performs as well as the Xbox.

The Xbox does have some advantages over the Gamecube, the Gamecube also has advantages over the Xbox. What really counts is what's being made of this power.

Hence Rare's mastery worked a treat for Dinosaur Planet.

They're worth every penny of the 350 million MS are willing to pay for them!
Wed 04/09/02 at 01:52
Regular
"Ninty's best friend"
Strafex wrote:
> By the way, could you do something about Resurection.
> He's an irritating fanboy who's doing MS's image some real damage in
> the Nintendo forum. Quieten him, for his, and your own dignity.
>
> I know he's sick of some of the newbie Nintyfanboys that have appeared
> here before, but copying them in the Nitnendo forum as an MS regular
> isn't going to do ANY good...
>
> Reply to Garbe finished - post on Rare will follow.

hehe nice i got mentioned thanx mate. oh and i know you are but what am i?

how any of you ninty's think a machine of half the power (yes half read the machine specs) can have better graphics than something twice as powerful is dumb in itself.

oh and i'll clear these up.

>(If you're wondering why MS could get Halo for launch while Metroid's >taken ages, that's because Halo had years of Mac devellopment before the >Xbox was announced. Metroid Prime has only been in devellopment since >the Gamecube was around.)

it was a PC idiot and it actualy looks better on x box and the game has changed a lot as well.

>Dead or Alive's graphics are good, but they're outdone by Rare's own >Dinosaur Planet, as well as Resident Evil (although pre-rendered >backdrops is sort of cheating...)

please someone tell him for christ sake you machine is not as powerful graphicaly duh

>For sound, the Gamecube does full surroud sound.
>The difference?

you don't know the difference well ok. Dolby pro logic is analogue and is 2 channel stereo which is then decoded into 5 yup 5 not 5.1.

DD 5.1 on the other hand is all digital each track is seperate, the front, center and rear speaker all have there own channel and the .1 is the sub woofer. this gives the sound more clarity and if you've heard the 2 there is a big difference.

but i doubt i would want Mario in DD5.1 :)
Wed 04/09/02 at 01:30
Regular
garbe123 wrote:
Lets face it,
> what GameCube game beats Halo (be honest :D)?

This is the most arrogant, moronic post I've seen in a long while. After all that preaching you did about how peoples opinons differ, and all the crap you wrote while you tried to make out your a fair, un-biased poster. Well it's crap, and I guessed it probably was from the start. The only thing that has changed since your major fanboy posting days is your spelling and grammer.

You want to know what GC game beats Halo, honestly? I'll tell you what game beats Halo, Super Smash Bros Melee. And you know what else? Pikmin, Waverace and Rogue Leader.

You know why? Because *I* like them better, and so do many, many others. Because, strangely, thats why I bought a Gamecube and not an X-box. I'd would rather own any game I have than Halo, except Luigi's Mansion because it won't last long enough.

What GameCube racing
> game beats Project Gotham Racing and RalliSport Challenge?

Hmm...maybe..Rallisport challenge on the GC?

Mario Kart is one of the most fun games I've ever played, and definatly the best racer, and I don't doubt a tiny bit the GC version will be just as good. So will F-Zero, the N64 version is one of the most enjoyable games ever.

What
> GameCube game has shown the graphics level of Dead or Alive 3 the game
> hailed as the best looking game ever to be created

Where did you get that from? You own head? You must of because that statement is entirely false, but not to you, because Offical X-box magasine is gospel to you isn't it? And couldn't be even slightly biased. Rogue Leader, Pikmin, Waverace, Resident Evil etc all match the graphic quality of DoA. So does Mario Sunshine, sure, it's a different style of graphics, but they are just as good.

What GameCube shooting game is better than
> Gun Valryrie?

For a start Gun Valryrie (is that spelt right?), isn't exactly one of the best games around. And secondly not having a game of this genre on a console is hardly a bad point, they aren't the best of games.

What GameCube snowboarding game beats the graphical and
> sound level found Amped?

So you want to settle to a specific game? Okay, what X-box puzzle game is as fun and entertaining as Super Monkey Ball? What, originaly, stragety/puzzle game on the X-box is as good as Pikmin? Does it even have one? No.

What GameCube game supports 5.1 surround
> sound never mind full?! (You can't answer that one because the
> GameCube doesn't have a chip to support 5.1, only pro logic)

I've already written about this, and I suggest you wait until you actually have it before you pass it of as a major selling point, because it isn't one. Sure it's great to have, but it doesn't affect the descion to buy a game at all. As I've already said, Pro Logic II is barely noticeable in quality form 5.1, and yes I do have both, which is more than you isn't it?

>
> PLEASE DON'T CALL ME AN XBOX FANBOY THEY ARE ONLY QUERIES!

Yeah right, those were blatant fanboy posts, you wrote them as statments, facts.

One other
> thing, I am not saying the GameCube doesn't have any good games as it
> does have PLENTY, but I have seen enough people ask questions like
> those on here and I feel that I am entitled to as well.

And I've had enough of you saying "The GC has good games (which you only say to try and not look fanboyish) but all the X-box games are better"

Also don't go
> on what is DUE OUT on the GameCube because that is all I here people
> talk about and I can also make a list, be factual and say which games
> that are out can challenge in those departments.

Oh, because you never reel off lists of future X-box games do you? For christ sake, your already waving Halo 2 around in 'best game' arguments, and all they've shown is some screenshots and basic info.

Also if anyone has
> any suggestions of VERY GOOD GameCube games I would appreciate some
> help as I am getting one soon, I plan to get the 2 Resident Evil games
> but I *DISLIKE* platform games and Myth style RPG'S. I am a big fan of
> First Person Shooter fan and I will look into Prime further (even
> though I have read a few previews).

Well doesn't that say it all? "I love FPS, I hate platform games" Your using your biased opinion, "Halo is the best game, nothing on GC compares to it". Well guess what ? I'm not too fond of FPS, and I find platform games very entertaining, so using your way of saying things, Mario sunshine is the best game, Halo can't compare to it. Don't bother denying you say things this way, just try and come up with a half-decent excuse as to why.

And before you write it, and you will, I already know what your going to say. So go ahead. I don't care what you think, it doesn't affect me at all, perhaps I was a bit harsh here, but you shouldn't have made that post, and you definatly shouldn't of written your supposed 'querys' in that way.
Wed 04/09/02 at 01:02
Regular
I think that was a while ago Ortega. I think, if anything, Rare will go multiformat. Other very slim possibilities are them being bought out by Microsoft, or them becoming a part of Nintendo. Then there's the most likely one:

Nothing will happen at all!
Wed 04/09/02 at 00:44
Regular
Oh lord, why do these threads always have to end up with petty insults?
Tue 03/09/02 at 23:45
Regular
Rumours like this go about all the time, so I'm taking it as a pinch of salt for the minute.

Still, MS ARE that desperate for exclusives (to bid a 500 million dollar buy out) and Rare have been very quiet about this issue...

It might happen.
When I work for Rare in a few years time, I might well be develloping for a MS console.

Either way, I'm not too fussed.

I would miss Rare on the Gamecube - in many ways, they're as good as Nintendo and by far the best western devellopers around.
But seeing how long they take to devellop games, by the time they make an Xbox one it'll probably be REALLY cheap and I'll be able to get them anyway.

They'd miss a bit from Nintendo but they'd also gain a fair bit from MS.
MS will give them state of the art technology, Rare will take it and add something that is FAR beyond MS's reach. IMAGINATION!
A good team if you ask me.

Then again, this is probably another false rumour circling around.
It's been said that Rare are circulating these rumours for publicity.

Rare rule - no matter who owns them!
Tue 03/09/02 at 23:42
Regular
~Resurection~ wrote:
> inbred you mean like the way you were brought up?
>

That's as bad as saying "I know you are, but what am I"

Grow up child.
Tue 03/09/02 at 23:34
Regular
garbe123 wrote:
> Can I just ask, what has the GameCube shown that the Xbox hasn't? Yes
> it has sold more but that uis down to the fact that people don't trust
> Microsoft at the moment, but more and more are doing! Lets face it,
> what GameCube game beats Halo (be honest :D)? What GameCube racing
> game beats Project Gotham Racing and RalliSport Challenge? What
> GameCube game has shown the graphics level of Dead or Alive 3 the game
> hailed as the best looking game ever to be created and you would only
> know if you had played it? What GameCube shooting game is better than
> Gun Valryrie? What GameCube snowboarding game beats the graphical and
> sound level found Amped? What GameCube game supports 5.1 surround
> sound never mind full?! (You can't answer that one because the
> GameCube doesn't have a chip to support 5.1, only pro logic)
>
> PLEASE DON'T CALL ME AN XBOX FANBOY THEY ARE ONLY QUERIES!

Don't worry, I'm only going to answer them:

Halo? A great FPS but great FPS's will be two-a-penny over the next 3 months. Even if Halo is better than months of them, Metroid Prime will likely be more than a match.

(If you're wondering why MS could get Halo for launch while Metroid's taken ages, that's because Halo had years of Mac devellopment before the Xbox was announced. Metroid Prime has only been in devellopment since the Gamecube was around.)

Racers - realistic ones were never Nintendo's strong point, but a fair few will come along. On the unrealistic side, I doubt that anything on the Xbox will come close to touching the likes of F-Zero and Mario Kart.

Dead or Alive's graphics are good, but they're outdone by Rare's own Dinosaur Planet, as well as Resident Evil (although pre-rendered backdrops is sort of cheating...)

For sound, the Gamecube does full surroud sound.
The difference?

Instead of going for complex digital, they use slightly old fashioned analogue, which is more or less as good only it doesn't take a super-processor to do - jacking up the production costs.

The Xbox would cost 300 quid if MS hadn't run desperate for sales.
They've been forced to sell at a huge loss.

Nitendo might also be selling at a loss, but it's a very minimal one and won't hurt the company half as much and it's STILL cheaper than the Xbox.

Also, the Xbox has only proved itself in existing genres.
The Gamecube is getting great games for all these genres, AS WELL AS the likes of Smash Brothers, Pikmin, Monkey Ball etc... the games that require the sort of creative imagination that MS just don't have.

FPS's, realistic racers and fighters have reached their peaks.
People are going to start to get sick of them...

Companys like Sega will give the Xbox a fair selection of innoative titles, but they'll also be doing likewise for Nintendo.

It's not so much they don't trust MS.
Nitnendo have a strong history for producing good quality, original and innoative titles and are often proved to be one step ahead of the rest.
They've not proved it for this generation yet, but it's not far off.

Halo is more or less as good as an FPS can get.
Only taking a new twist - like Metroid Prime - can keep the genre fresh - something only Nintendo are trying for the moment.

MS are good and have impressed me.
I might even get an Xbox.
But Nintendo are still the market leaders (followed VERY closely by the likes of Sega, another veteran company who have taken the industry forward - MS would NEVER have thought of JSRF!, and Rare who have lived off Nintendo a lot, but often shown that they are also great in their own right - certainly the best of the west) when it comes to game design, and where differences in Spec become incrasingly irrelavent, this is where consoles will stand out.

By the way, could you do something about Resurection.
He's an irritating fanboy who's doing MS's image some real damage in the Nintendo forum. Quieten him, for his, and your own dignity.

I know he's sick of some of the newbie Nintyfanboys that have appeared here before, but copying them in the Nitnendo forum as an MS regular isn't going to do ANY good...

Reply to Garbe finished - post on Rare will follow.
Tue 03/09/02 at 23:22
Regular
"Ninty's best friend"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Yes I will cause your shear stupidity makes me laugh. The word inbred
> springs to mind.
>
> I actually meant I wasn't prepared to break your biased post down and
> write a decent reply.

inbred you mean like the way you were brought up?

and you couldn't write a decent reply due to your stupidity but that's ok.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.