GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's Scarier RESIDENT EVIL or SILENT HILL?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 31/08/02 at 09:59
Regular
Personally I don't know which is scarrier. I constantly see both of the games in the pre-owned stand because people have had nervous breakdowns on the introduction sequence ohwell... Which is the scariest you decide :D
Sun 01/09/02 at 03:18
Regular
The scariest game is Superman 64!
How can a game be *that* bad? It gives me nightmares, one day I'll have to play it and see...
Sun 01/09/02 at 02:40
Regular
Or asylum *cough*
¦^O

Actually, the prospect is growing on me, some late night scary gameage seems more appealing at this time.
I'd only planned on getting ed (admittedly writing off resi to some extent, as the original has aged a bit, and if i let myself like it i'll probably end up having to buy all the others too :^) ).
But i'm now thinking maybe resident evil would be worth a spin too.

And asylum :^)
Sun 01/09/02 at 02:01
Regular
Get Eternal Darkness, it's ~freaky~
Sun 01/09/02 at 00:58
Regular
I am a good person to ask on this one. I owned Silent Hill on the PSONE, I have Silent Hill 2 for the Xbox on pre-order and I have completed every Resident Evil game to be released, I even imported Bio Hazard Gun Survivor for the PSONE (you will probably know this best as Resident Evil Gun Survivor), I am even getting a GameCube just to play Resident Evil and Resident Evil 0! Both of the games play differently with your mind yet both have caused me to have nightmares. Silent Hill plays a phycological game and it uses atmospheric music to help build the tension. Granted, Resident Evil also has some very spooky music, but to build the tension is the Resident Evil games Capcom leave hints and tips of what is to come next.

Although they are both survival horror titles I believe that they use completley different style to build up the adrenaline of the player. Bio Hazard was possibly the scariest of the Resident Evils in my opinion, with it focusing on a First Person view point it gave the player a different perspective on the action which created a high level of tension.

In Silent Hill on the PSONE I found that the school was by far one of the most terrifying expereiences I have played in a video-game and although some may laugh (and my friends are the main culprits), after playing the game my mom swore to never let me play on a Silent Hill game again. I was seriously affected in a mental way from Silent Hill, the church with the woman, the school with the little spirits of children with knives and the man strapped to the barbed wire fence were 3 of the main incidents which cause me to have nightmares and side effects which even I found scary!

The last Resident Evil I played was Code Veronica X on the PS2, possibly my favourite PS2 game and one that I will pick up on the Dreamcast even though I completed the PS2 version and unlocked the first person extra battle :) I found the game scary but no where near as scary as Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, in those scenes where you have to choose on whether or not to fight him or run created some of the most atmospheric gameplay yet to be seen on a console.

If you ever have a dispute with a friend tell them to pick up a PSONE with Silent Hill, that way you can settle it like a man! If you play on that game through the night without quiting at any point will show how brave you actually are! Although you may say that you can do it, just try it out some time, you won't find it as easy as you think!

I am getting a Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound system in a couple of weeks and by the release calendar it looks like Silent Hill 2 (which isn't called Restless dreams it goes under another name) will be released before christmas of this year. With 5.1 Surround sound (which the PS2 version didn't utilise) and a copy of what I believe will be the scariest out of the lot I wil be able to test me nerves of steel once again.

As I mentioned in the first paragraph I will be picking up a GameCube with Resident Evil but it will be put away until after I have finsihed my GCSE's in May of next year, that way I can enjoy the game without having the added hassle of revision and what not if you understand where I am coming from :) By the reviews I have read of the game I am really looking forward to it, with my 5.1 system and this game (doesn't support 5.1 but I will still get Surround sound) it will be good for me to compare between the updates Silent Hill 2 on the Xobx and the GameCubes drastically improved (in terms of graphics and sound) Resident Evil, bring on the evil!
Sun 01/09/02 at 00:32
Regular
"Under the Wall"
Hmm, odd one.
I've crept nervously around the multiplayer basement level with no radar on goldeneye, finger wobbling on the trigger whenever I turned a corner, and I've jumped in brief shock when an unexpected giant skultulla dropped on link's head in the N64 games, but I don't think I've ever found a game 'scary' as such.

Still, maybe eternal darkness or resident evil will change that...
Sat 31/08/02 at 23:53
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Silent Hill - 'nuff said.
Sat 31/08/02 at 22:44
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Slient Hill is way scarier, it creates a much better dark atmosphere, Resident Evil is just better though I think, if a little shorter, much better stories too.

Silent Hill is still good thouhg, although some puzzles are just too hard and take far to long to figure out which bores me immensely.
Sat 31/08/02 at 22:33
Regular
"Got any carrots?"
SILENT HILL IS DEFINATELY THE SCARIEST!!! full stop. The atmoshere it creates just keeps you on edge throughout the whole game. With resident evil, its just a few surprises here and there. Also i think silent hill is VERY messed up, i couldnt follow the story very well.
Sat 31/08/02 at 22:12
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Silent Hill, no contest. RE made me jump a few times, but lacked the kind of atmosphere SH created.

Anyway, both are pretty tame when compared to System Shock 2 on the PC, 'the' scariest game I've ever played.
Sat 31/08/02 at 22:02
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Resident Evil is scarier than Silent Hill.

Silent Hill is really good, and did a great job at creating what I'd expect hell on earth to look like. But generally RE is scarier!

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.