GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Turok Evolution"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/08/02 at 21:55
Regular
So whose getting this next week ? :-) I'll be getting it and from what I've seen it looks good so far. The E3 DVD shows some nice footage of it and whats in the game. That swarm bore weapon looks pretty tasty - having played the other games I have fond memories who I killed with the old version of that weapon. ;-)

Thing is, I keep thinking how good it would have been if a little extra was included in the game. What I would have loved to have seen is a dinosaur hunting mode - no cyborgs or evil bad guys, just a mode where you can sit back, hunt and even take trophies (skulls or claws maybe ?)
The idea of the bushes and stuff moving and making noise is great, so a hunting mode could be excellent. :-)

I know you can go around killing normal dinosaurs in Evolution, but this would be even better as far as the hunting goes. Maybe even a Co-Op mode where 2 players can have a screen each or something and just roam around trying to kill a bigger T-Rex than they've bagged before.
Thats where the trophies could come in - you could display your biggest kills of each breed just like you get records in fishing games and stuff.

I think it'd add some longevity - especially when things can turn around and your soon having to leg it from a pack of raptors. ;-)
Sat 07/09/02 at 09:42
Regular
I must admit, I'm losing the will to carry on playing.
It's quite good when you're in the jungle and the mountains (that's what Turok's about), but the other bits - the reptilian base etc, I'm finding it a bit tedious.
I'm near the end of Chapter 4, and I'm sick of hearing that bloody gravel-voiced nutcase whining on: "Intruder alert", "Hail Tiranus" - :( :)
Fri 06/09/02 at 20:42
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Yeah, things perk up from chapter 3. ;-)
I've just reached chapter 6 where I'm no back in the jungle, so hopefully there should be some pretty good dinos around.
Gonna have a rest now for a little while though. ;-))
Fri 06/09/02 at 18:59
Regular
Aha! Chapter 3 - this is more like it!
Chapter 1 & 2 (being training levels of a kind) were really dull, but I sense a great improvement! Chapter 3 is pretty good. :)
Fri 06/09/02 at 17:55
Regular
Savatt78 wrote:
> The flying level I did
> was complete pony due to the controls - especially with the game
> having the habit of pulling you the opposite way into a wall.

Chapter 2 is annoying. I've just started Chapter 3. I hope it gets better savatt, I genuinely do, but I'm not convinced it will.
Something's missing. I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't feel right.
The levels seem ridiculously small in the first two chapters.
It doesn't seem to have the epic "out-there" quality of the N64 Turoks.
But it might improve. I hope so.
Fri 06/09/02 at 17:52
Regular
Urgh, things are'nt looking hopeful for this game...
Fri 06/09/02 at 16:15
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I'll test the multiplayer later. So far the framerate isn't too bad - seen a lot worse.

Ok - I'm going back to the game now, I'll be back on in an hour or so. ;-))
Fri 06/09/02 at 15:54
Regular
Strafex wrote:
> Banned again?
>
> Perhaps it's just extending last time's ban onto a new user-name.
> Probably best to wait a week or so for things to blow over before you
> sign up again.

Res was banned when I wrote that.

Probably some server bug or something. :-)

Savatt, keep us posted.
What's the multiplayer like, and how's he framerate?
Fri 06/09/02 at 15:51
Regular
"RIP Resurrection"
hey cool SR un-banned me cause i said i wouldn't go into the ninty forum :)

i'll just slate them here instead LOL kiddin' sr kiddin'
Fri 06/09/02 at 15:44
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Actually I went back on it just after you left and got that poxy flying bit out the way. Just walking around again and managed to find a sniper scope for the pistol so things are actually looking up now as I can look into the distance more and see whats ahead.

Not gonna start singing its praise yet though. So far the first couple of levels were crap. The first stage had annoying little dinos and baboons throing themselves at you all the time which was a pain in the backside more than a challenge to avoid. The flying level I did was complete pony due to the controls - especially with the game having the habit of pulling you the opposite way into a wall.

Now that I'm on the next bit on foot again now though, things are looking up. Like I said, I've just picked up the scopes so now I can make out enemies from bushes that aren't right in front of my face.

I'll keep everyone updated if they want to know more before a purchase - but at the moment it seems to be a case of having the patience to get through the first couple of levels with cack weapons and annoying small enemies. From what I saw, the baboons weren't supposed to really be hostile unless you attacked them. But for some reason they seem to like having a go at me for nothing. I avoid them when I can, but there always seems to be one in the way of your route and if he attacks and you defend yourself, a dozen of the little gits run in and join in. Ugh.

Anyway, I'll carry on playing once I've looked over the posts in here.
;-)
Fri 06/09/02 at 15:37
Regular
Banned again?

Perhaps it's just extending last time's ban onto a new user-name.
Probably best to wait a week or so for things to blow over before you sign up again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.