GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Turok Evolution"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/08/02 at 21:55
Regular
So whose getting this next week ? :-) I'll be getting it and from what I've seen it looks good so far. The E3 DVD shows some nice footage of it and whats in the game. That swarm bore weapon looks pretty tasty - having played the other games I have fond memories who I killed with the old version of that weapon. ;-)

Thing is, I keep thinking how good it would have been if a little extra was included in the game. What I would have loved to have seen is a dinosaur hunting mode - no cyborgs or evil bad guys, just a mode where you can sit back, hunt and even take trophies (skulls or claws maybe ?)
The idea of the bushes and stuff moving and making noise is great, so a hunting mode could be excellent. :-)

I know you can go around killing normal dinosaurs in Evolution, but this would be even better as far as the hunting goes. Maybe even a Co-Op mode where 2 players can have a screen each or something and just roam around trying to kill a bigger T-Rex than they've bagged before.
Thats where the trophies could come in - you could display your biggest kills of each breed just like you get records in fishing games and stuff.

I think it'd add some longevity - especially when things can turn around and your soon having to leg it from a pack of raptors. ;-)
Mon 09/09/02 at 22:08
Regular
Yes, I think I can state without any doubt whatsoever that I hate it. The book is closed.
Mon 09/09/02 at 22:00
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
So its agreed - this game manages to both suck and blow. ;-))
Well at least this will help take the waiting torture away from the Ninties that are waiting for the games arrival - they're not missing much.
Mon 09/09/02 at 21:32
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Jonny -V- wrote:
> The most amusing thing about Turok is the ability to fly that stupid
> Pterodactyl-whatever into a wall, but even that wears off after a bit.

I know the feeling JV.
Mon 09/09/02 at 21:27
Regular
Savatt78 wrote:
> I dunno if Nomad will agree, but there still feels a lack in proper
> dinosaurs in the game.

Yeah, I agree. And when your ankles are being nibbled by the smaller ones, the bullets don't seem to hit.
Also, for a game trying to be realistic, I find the graphics are 'garish' (I think that's the right word).
And I can't see any reason to believe that they've used a new game engine from the other Turok games - it looks very similar apart from a little bit more detail, but not much.

If there was a quicksave or more checkpoints (like Halo), I think it might have been slightly easier to play.
Sometimes I think I'm being too harsh on it, but I always seem to find myself turning it off and cussing it's faults.
Mon 09/09/02 at 21:06
Regular
The most amusing thing about Turok is the ability to fly that stupid Pterodactyl-whatever into a wall, but even that wears off after a bit.
Mon 09/09/02 at 20:34
Regular
"ProGolfer"
To me it feels a little bit of a chore, sav why have you blocked me on msn?
Mon 09/09/02 at 20:25
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
No matter what they do with the GC version, I don't think it'll sort out this feeling you get when playing it.

I dunno if Nomad will agree, but there still feels a lack in proper dinosaurs in the game.
You've got the annoying little ones that bite at your ankles, then you've got like 4 or 5 other species walking around occasionally along with a number of baboons and chimps.

The moving foilage was a bit of a disappointment too as your never really using it as an advantage. The music booming out doesn't really allow you to if you wanted to. As for the amazing AI the game is supposed to have. It had its promising moments, but overall it was still a case of enemies running at you like gormless zombies.

Then theres the crap flying levels and the boring levels. I was really forcing myself to finish it in the end.
Mon 09/09/02 at 19:00
Regular
"Unretired"
Just hope the GC's extra 3 weeks development will Iron out the bugs....
Mon 09/09/02 at 16:08
Regular
I don't know much about Mech Assault, but Steel Batallion does look amazing.
And that controller!
I want to buy it, but I'm scared to ;D
Mon 09/09/02 at 15:58
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I'm really looking forward to those games. :-) Keeping my eye out for the release dates for Steel Battalion and Mech Assault too. ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.