GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GC fans can't boost about the price now try and get a DVD player for £30 or £40 pounds"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/08/02 at 10:54
Regular
Well Well Sony and MS drop the price of there already very affordable machines this can only be a bad thing for GC as no-one can buy a GC and seperate DVD player for £159 or £169.

As I have stated countless times before the GC is cheap because it is a cheap piece of technology.

Facts

GC Xbox PS2

1.5 gig format 4.5gig dvd 4.5gig dvd

Dvd playback none Yes needs controller Yes out of the box

10 million 90 million 20 million
polys per second polys per second polys per second

Dolby 5.1 none Dolby 5.1 yes Dolby 5.1 yes

Serial ports USB, Opitical, ethernet USB, firewire,Optical

480 x 640 1172 x 800 at least 1172 x 800 at least

These are a few examples and just go to show why the GC is cheaper than the other two console because it's old hat technology, the one bit of modern technology is not worth having the custom 1.5 discs (Resi Evil on two disc so yesterday) are a waste of time and only designed so that Nintendo can charge the publishers more for custom tooling.
Thu 29/08/02 at 22:10
Regular
NaŠ†Ÿ_Nêighßoû® wrote:
> Im waiting for someone else to say something as i cant get through to
> him how becuase of what he calls "standard" will soon
> cripple the games industry and leave us with no games :-(
>
> If that needs explaining ill do it tomoz, im off to play ISS2.

If you mean DVD, how will this cripple the games industry? Is it not the content that matters?
Thu 29/08/02 at 22:04
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Dave RJR wrote:
> But you can't store games on VHS.

Yes you can. You wouldn't want to but you can.

They use ferric oxide/chromium oxide/other metallic oxide based magnetic tape strips and many of use remember when most games came on such a format.

You are right about the PS2 not being able to go wrong. It's almost as if Sony tried to make it fail but the mass market public once again chose the familiar brand.

PlayStation is to video games what Hoover is to vacuun cleaners - it is synonymous with the brand so people often say the brand name when they are referring to the item in general ("hoovering"/"vacuuming" etc).

Personally, I think my Dyson cleans my carpets better than my Hoover ever did.
Thu 29/08/02 at 22:02
Regular
Techno freak wrote:
> Well Well Sony and MS drop the price of there already very affordable
> machines this can only be a bad thing for GC as no-one can buy a GC
> and seperate DVD player for £159 or £169.

The GameCube will soon drop to £99.99, and I don't think the fact that the PS2 and X-Box have DVD players is a very good argument. First of all, the PS2 DVD player is the bare minimum, and you could pick up an equivalent for around £30.00. Secondly, the X-Box DVD Player's good, providing you buy a £30.00 attachment. On top of that, Panasonic have produced a GameQube for around £150.00 on import.

> As I have stated countless times before the GC is cheap because it is
> a cheap piece of technology.

Cheap? Yes, it is. But rushed and underachieving it is not. If you want a rushed and technically poor machine, you should try the PS2, now they've managed to sort out the bugs in it. And if you want the FACTS, I suggest you go here:

http://cube.totalgames.net/features/featuresfull2.epml?
features2.REF=15&newsFormat.REF=9&featureType.REF=1
[Minus Space]

The GameCube discs have actually been proven to hold as much as a DVD because even though at first glance they look smaller, they can store game data much more effectively.

> These are a few examples and just go to show why the GC is cheaper
> than the other two console because it's old hat technology, the one
> bit of modern technology is not worth having the custom 1.5 discs
> (Resi Evil on two disc so yesterday) are a waste of time and only
> designed so that Nintendo can charge the publishers more for custom
> tooling.

'Old Hat Technology'? Have you taken a look at the specs of the PS2 recently? Thought not. The GameCube has some of the most advanced technology such as the console's motherboard. If you weren't so blinded by your partial attitude towards the PS2, you'd realise the GameCube was just as powerful as the X-Box.

'So yesterday'? What are you, an American female teen? If the games big enough to span two discs, so what? An extra ten pounds or so? Hey, that must bring it to the price of a new PS2 or X-Box game! Strange that... And if you want to talk about a money driven company, Nintendo are way off the mark. They bring games out at £34.99 new (unlike Sony and Microsofts £44.99) and have the cheapest console. Sony would be a more educated choice, looking at how the PS2 was completely rushed and brought out at £299.99 so Sony could cash in.

One last thing - who cares about specs anyway? I just proved you wrong, but I don't care about that. The PS2 have GTA and The Getaway, the X-Box has Halo and the GameCube has the best games company in the world - Nintendo (plus Rare). It's all about GAMES.
Thu 29/08/02 at 22:00
Regular
Im waiting for someone else to say something as i cant get through to him how becuase of what he calls "standard" will soon cripple the games industry and leave us with no games :-(

If that needs explaining ill do it tomoz, im off to play ISS2.
Thu 29/08/02 at 21:58
Regular
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> lol.. actually, I think you can...
>
> I seem to remeber there was a dongle you could buy inthe eighties that
> allowed you to save Speccy (and possibly C64?) titles to Video Tape?
>
> Just a giant casette tape really? ...
>
> I'm not sure how reliable it was though?

Yes, well, I don't think we wan't to go back to putting games on tape do we.
Thu 29/08/02 at 21:56
Regular
The way PS2 took DVD on board was clever. Not as an optional DVD kit, or plug in unit - but the main part of the machine. So Sony used DVD for games as well, the movie feature was a bonus - and in time, it will be expected. They still concentrated on the games library, but DVD movies were always an added bonus. This was at just the right time, when DVD movies were just starting to take of and people were thinking about getting a DVD player. Here was a PS2 which also could play your DVD movies.
Thu 29/08/02 at 21:53
Regular
You are aware Gamecube's optical discs are midi DVD's... just slightly smaller capacity but can not only be compressed (compressing an Optical Disc doesn't have the same effect as a DVD... ours slows down just not as much) but is much cheaper and so therefore using multiple discs ala Resident Evil won't have a crippiling effect.

So optical discs are DVD quality, fast loading and no piracy.
Thu 29/08/02 at 21:52
Regular
Dave, the ps2 has many games but the vital thing is they are more handy to make the bin collecters break a sweat when they lift up your bins, the place most games will go.

The thing is most gamers do not like games any more, they like GOOD games.
Thu 29/08/02 at 21:49
Regular
Dave id give up on a losing battle, u might of been doing quite well when it was just me, you and freak and you were alos able to use the same DVD more games things.

Also your on your own you boyfr...mate has left and §n][pe® managed to demlish everything you have wrote with one single line, that being:

http://www.cube-europe.com(remove)/newsphp/news.php?id=1564
Thu 29/08/02 at 21:49
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Dave RJR wrote:
> But you can't store games on VHS. Anyway, its quality is poor by DVD
> standards. CD is good, but DVD offers greater capacity. Then to this,
> add the fact that PS2 has so many games - PS2 couldn’t go wrong
> really.

lol.. actually, I think you can...

I seem to remeber there was a dongle you could buy inthe eighties that allowed you to save Speccy (and possibly C64?) titles to Video Tape?

Just a giant casette tape really? ...

I'm not sure how reliable it was though?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.