GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GC fans can't boost about the price now try and get a DVD player for £30 or £40 pounds"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/08/02 at 10:54
Regular
Well Well Sony and MS drop the price of there already very affordable machines this can only be a bad thing for GC as no-one can buy a GC and seperate DVD player for £159 or £169.

As I have stated countless times before the GC is cheap because it is a cheap piece of technology.

Facts

GC Xbox PS2

1.5 gig format 4.5gig dvd 4.5gig dvd

Dvd playback none Yes needs controller Yes out of the box

10 million 90 million 20 million
polys per second polys per second polys per second

Dolby 5.1 none Dolby 5.1 yes Dolby 5.1 yes

Serial ports USB, Opitical, ethernet USB, firewire,Optical

480 x 640 1172 x 800 at least 1172 x 800 at least

These are a few examples and just go to show why the GC is cheaper than the other two console because it's old hat technology, the one bit of modern technology is not worth having the custom 1.5 discs (Resi Evil on two disc so yesterday) are a waste of time and only designed so that Nintendo can charge the publishers more for custom tooling.
Thu 29/08/02 at 21:49
Regular
I do have a standalone DVD player hooked up with my tv. But I also have a PS2 hooked up to the same tv. Both use SCART. I can't c any difference in picture quality.
Thu 29/08/02 at 21:42
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Techno freak wrote:
(several mindless posts about nothing in particular)

I think most people are expecting a sub-£100 GameCube on this side of Christmas.

Personally I think DVD playback on consoles is a mistake from a business point of view. Think about it. For every game a person buys for it they could get at least 2 DVDs instead. Each time they spend any money at all on a DVD for their console they are consequently deciding against spending money on games for it and software sales are where the profits come in.

Nobody in their right mind would decide to get one console over another purely becuase it offers DVD playback. They will get the one they want to play the games that they want to play.

I have seen DVDs on a PS2 (I can't comment on the XBox quality) and I have to say it leaves a lot to be desired. Would you buy a DVD player which could play PS2 games, even if the games looked noticeably worse than if they were running on a 'proper' PS2?
Thu 29/08/02 at 21:42
Regular
Fuzzy wrote:
> Techno freak wrote:
> How can you say no-one gives a toss about DVD format only the
> biggest
> selling format in history
>
> Yeah, ever heard of, say VHS (video for you) or CD? No.
>
> Fanboy...fool...

But you can't store games on VHS. Anyway, its quality is poor by DVD standards. CD is good, but DVD offers greater capacity. Then to this, add the fact that PS2 has so many games - PS2 couldn’t go wrong really.
Thu 29/08/02 at 20:29
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Techno freak wrote:
> How can you say no-one gives a toss about DVD format only the biggest
> selling format in history

Yeah, ever heard of, say VHS (video for you) or CD? No.

Fanboy...fool...
Thu 29/08/02 at 19:21
Regular
Techno freak always gets wrong.
Thu 29/08/02 at 19:19
Regular
I was just meerly stating the facts that Techno Freak got wrong.
Thu 29/08/02 at 19:16
Regular
This page is boring.

Look, no-one cares about fancy numbers that represent the amount of somethings that help make a game good.

It's the games that win Console Wars, and no console is really lacking.
Thu 29/08/02 at 19:12
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:
> Yet another crappy fanboyish comment from Techno Freak.
>
> The GC can reach up to 20,000,000 pps whilst the Xbox can reach up to
> 125,000,000.
>
> Get your facts right before you say them.

Well that isn't right. Why don't you take a leaf out of your own book.
Thu 29/08/02 at 17:23
Regular
AfroJoe wrote:
> Techno freak wrote:
> I suppose you can have up to 8 players on your GC then if you had a
> multitap that is.
>
> ---
>
> No, but having 8 players on the PS2 will set you back around an extra
> £150 quid, as you have to pay for the 2 multitaps and the other
> 6-7 controllers.
>
> :-P

Don't forget - if you wan't 4 player on GC, you still have to buy an extra 3 GC handsets.
Thu 29/08/02 at 17:21
Regular
Mr Ripper wrote:
> My point is that it doesn't make MUCH difference on a TV set. I can
> certainlky tell the difference when looking via my monitor, but that
> sort of quality viewing isn't a PS2 standard, is it?

> Plus DVD's can offer DTS and Dolby
> Digital surround sound.
>
> Maybe I'm just tone deaf, but the higher echelons of sound quality
> really don't seem to offer that much to be honest. As long as you can
> hear it properly, it's all good.

you say that DVD isn't a main selling point, and yet has oft been
> Sonyphiles main argument against the GC. So what you are now saying is
> that it doesn't matter?

Why would I wan't to connect my PS2 (or other console) to a monitor? Why would I want to play DVD's on my PC screen?
My tv is Widescreen, the PC screen is not. Plus, try getting the public in general to view dvd's on a monitor/pc instead of a dvd + tv.
Dolby Digital Surround sound is better, DTS is slightly better again.
Most people have a VHS, so they will find it difficult to spend £300-£400 on a VHS/DVD combo. You could buy low cost separates for less. But with PS2, the issue of DVD is welcome since at the start many people had not bought a DVD player. PS2 had the games, and also happened to have a DVD player for movies. As time goes by, this will become the accepted norm. But also, DVD is used for games which provides greater capacity for games. So while PS2 is hybrid tech, the unit builds in the tech and makes it standard. It's not the same as say having an expansion pack fitted that provides DVD.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.