GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rare saga continues"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/08/02 at 22:19
Regular
I've heard that Donkey Kong franchise is going back to Nintendo mother brain(two new DK games developed by Rare are being canceled) and all 'cos Rare is going multiplatform. I think, in my modest opinion that's not such a bad idea to start with. Didy Kong racing and Donkey Kong 64 were less than spectacular on N64 but not totally bad games , more like only so-so.
Rare couldn't make an interesting or decent looking game mascot to save their lifes. Talk about some questionable character design. All characters in Banyo Kazooe(Kablooe by some) look like Dysney rejectes at best. Anyway back to subject I just hope Nintendo will make some decent DK games, it being one of the oldest game franchise in video game history. Now remember
this is only a hear-say so if anyone has any info...
D.K.-Donkey Kong, D.K.-Donkey Kong,..... if he shots ya it gota hurt.........monkey rap.. la la la (not in that order but somthing like that) Anyway I love that song. It ooooozzzeees with style.
Sat 31/08/02 at 16:39
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Rare is owned by 3 different groups of people, Rare arcade corp,
> Stamper Brothers and Nintendo. Nintendo cannot stop them going
> multi-format but they can stake a claim in the money they make from
> it. Nintendo would probably sell the shares back though.

Yes but why would they sell them back? They don't need the money and keeping them would ensure that Rare going multi platform was less profitable for the other shareholders. What I am trying to say is that Nintendo know that Rare going multi platform could harm them, yet they can make things very difficult for Rare. Remember when Squaresoft fell out with Nintendo they made games elsewhere, but eventually Nintendo were in a strong position because Squaresoft needed to make money from the Game Boy Advance. This is why a Final Fantasy game is being made for Gamecube. Nintendo could easily stop Rare leaving by refusing to sell their shares and refusing to publish Rares GBA projects.
Sat 31/08/02 at 18:04
Regular
Strafex wrote:
>
> There is a chance that they will go multi-platform but it's more
> likely that they won't. For a start, no-one except for Nintendo would
> allow the "year-long" delays on games like Perfect Dark
> etc...

thats quite true actually, I especially don't think Sony would allow them to spend so long developing, and would force them to rush out their games. And theres nothing Rare hate more than being told to hurry up.
Sat 31/08/02 at 18:25
Regular
"In and out :)"
Ok Lets settle this with an honest and overall answer
Rare Are the Best Makers ever!
Sun 01/09/02 at 20:48
Regular
Except for Nintendo, who make Rare come second. Close though.
Sun 01/09/02 at 21:58
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Rare is owned by 3 different groups of people, Rare arcade corp,
> Stamper Brothers and Nintendo. Nintendo cannot stop them going
> multi-format but they can stake a claim in the money they make from
> it. Nintendo would probably sell the shares back though.

Nintendo could be making money out of PS2 and Xbox games?
There's an interesting thought...
Mon 02/09/02 at 16:44
Regular
"EXCUSE ME"
i hope bare (rare) go to microplop (microsoft) and sta (stay) there as tha (they) stink of Pooey gooey ($%^*!"£$^%)
i h8 hate bare (rare) and hope they make up their mind b4 (before) long

thet r (are) 2 (too) bad

cool out (im signing off)
Mon 02/09/02 at 16:48
Regular
"bit of a brain"
You truly are an idiot (we all hate you)
Mon 02/09/02 at 16:56
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> Except for Nintendo, who make Rare come second. Close though.

Depends what games you are on about, rare are brill at FPS and nintendo dont even really make a true one (MP isnt just FPS), but nintendo are good at orginallity when rare use the same sort of genre but add new things and make them but than others beofre them.

So really it depends what games you like, or you can decide on adventue types as nintendo has mario and rare has banjo, then yes i would agree with the adventure that nintendo is the best, but with the other id go for rare.
Mon 02/09/02 at 22:44
I don't know what to think anymore. I think, as you said it, Nasty boy
that Rare is absolute peak of FPS genre in buissnes, as far as consoles are
concerned. And as such, maybe they are tryng to earn alota greens by making
those games for more mature consoles(seen by the eye of the beholder) rather then for 'four year old kid friendly' image Nintendo's aproach. So if they think that the true potential of selling more of those FPS(obviuosly targeted at 16+ gamers) games is going over to Sony and stupid X-box(losers) than it's not for me to say. Would you rather seen them going bankropt. Or maybe they could smell Nintendo's demise and they are trying to leave a sinking ship(rats) just in time. The future will tell.
Tue 03/09/02 at 20:27
Regular
NaŠ†Ÿ_Nêighßoû® wrote:
> Depends what games you are on about, rare are brill at FPS and
> nintendo dont even really make a true one (MP isnt just FPS), but
> nintendo are good at orginallity when rare use the same sort of genre
> but add new things and make them but than others beofre them.

You're forgetting that Metroid Prime is a true first person shooter, with that bit of Nintendo variety and innovation added in.

> So really it depends what games you like, or you can decide on
> adventue types as nintendo has mario and rare has banjo, then yes i
> would agree with the adventure that nintendo is the best, but with the
> other id go for rare.

It's about who's more crucial to the GameCube and on the whole, make the best games. In that respect, Nintendo win.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.