GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rare saga continues"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/08/02 at 22:19
Regular
I've heard that Donkey Kong franchise is going back to Nintendo mother brain(two new DK games developed by Rare are being canceled) and all 'cos Rare is going multiplatform. I think, in my modest opinion that's not such a bad idea to start with. Didy Kong racing and Donkey Kong 64 were less than spectacular on N64 but not totally bad games , more like only so-so.
Rare couldn't make an interesting or decent looking game mascot to save their lifes. Talk about some questionable character design. All characters in Banyo Kazooe(Kablooe by some) look like Dysney rejectes at best. Anyway back to subject I just hope Nintendo will make some decent DK games, it being one of the oldest game franchise in video game history. Now remember
this is only a hear-say so if anyone has any info...
D.K.-Donkey Kong, D.K.-Donkey Kong,..... if he shots ya it gota hurt.........monkey rap.. la la la (not in that order but somthing like that) Anyway I love that song. It ooooozzzeees with style.
Thu 29/08/02 at 10:46
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
Theres a whole section about rares dissaperance in the latest cube.
I'm sure most of you buy it any way but it outlines some points about why they may leave and why ythey may stay.
Thu 29/08/02 at 14:01
Regular
"Conker the King"
I just dont understand how anybody could slate RARE! Without them the N64 just wouldnt have been the same. I think its unthinkable(!) that they could be going multiformat, I mean its the Rare games that put a sock in the mouths of other less scrupulous console owners!!
Without the uniqueness of Rare on the Gamecube, it will be just another console. OK Zelda and Nintendo go hand in hand but to be honest the new look Zelda is hardly inspiring, especially when Nintendo are looking for the more 'mature' gamers to hop on board the Ninty train!
And I was sooooooooo looking forward to Donkey Kong Racing. And as for the feature in Cube magazine about the whole Rare thing, it left me more confused than I already was!
Someone PLEEEEASE tell us the trut. What is happening with Rare? Thats all we want is the truth. The whole truth and nothing but.
Thu 29/08/02 at 14:03
Regular
"Conker the King"
Please tell us the truth. NOT the trut! Someone's bound to have a go about the spelling. Duh!
Thu 29/08/02 at 15:06
Rare is selling out. Thats what they are, a sell outs. God knows that they
are one of the slowest developers in game biz, but first when it comes to
game delay.(Perfect Dark). And now, when they are planing to develop
multiplatform who knows how much more time will it take for them to make a game. Anyway, I think Donkey Kong racing is coming out, just not by Rare.
Damn sellouts.
Thu 29/08/02 at 15:28
Regular
Rare haven't sold out or anything.

There have been rumours but nothing official.

There is a chance that they will go multi-platform but it's more likely that they won't. For a start, no-one except for Nintendo would allow the "year-long" delays on games like Perfect Dark etc...
Sat 31/08/02 at 14:55
Regular
Nintendo are much more important to the GameCube than Rare are N64 4 EVA, think of Mario, Link, Pokemon, etc, etc. They are much more important characters than Rare's. However, Rare are my second favourite games company (second to Nintendo, of course) and I would hate to see them go. Goldeneye 007 was a revolutionary FPS, and the benchmark for those to come. Banjo Kazooie was a work of art and the sequel just as good. Perfect Dark was genius, as was Conker's Bad Fur Day. Their games are mainly around the excellent standard of Nintendo's, but because Nintendo have such a big reputation, they are miles more important.

Plus, after StarFox Adventures, I doubt Rare'll break their bonds with Nintendo.
Sat 31/08/02 at 15:30
Regular
Could someone please explain how Rare could leave Nintendo when they own almost half of Rares shares? Does anyone think that Nintendo would be stupid enough to sell these shares just so that Rare can go work for Microsoft or Sony? If anything is going on then I think it will be Nintendo buying out more of Rare, they have a huge stake in the company and they will not let that go. Especially if Microsoft wanted to buy Rare out.
Sat 31/08/02 at 15:33
Regular
Rare can buy back their shares.
Sat 31/08/02 at 15:43
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Rare can buy back their shares.

Even if Nintendo don't want to sell?
Sat 31/08/02 at 16:19
Regular
Rare is owned by 3 different groups of people, Rare arcade corp, Stamper Brothers and Nintendo. Nintendo cannot stop them going multi-format but they can stake a claim in the money they make from it. Nintendo would probably sell the shares back though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.