GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game survey taken in USA, Xbox is Fave"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/08/02 at 20:28
Regular
Taken from www.officialxboxmagazine.co.uk: -

"The results of the largest survey of gamers this year has revealed that Xbox is the top console of choice this Christmas.

Over 12,000 US gamers were asked, "What console do you plan to buy in the coming year?" and 39 percent answered Xbox! 27 percent answered PlayStation 2, and 17 percent plan to pick up a GameCube.

The study also showed that game demos are the most influence over game purchase decisions. When asked "Which of these items highly influence your game purchase decisions?" nearly 8 out of 10 respondents (78%) ranked game demos the number 1 factor, far ahead of the number 2 response: game reviews (47%). Both television commercials (35%) and magazine ads (31%) trailed furthest behind as drivers."

Not bad eh?
Page:
Fri 13/09/02 at 21:40
Regular
Have you tried playing a high res, 32 player game of Unreal Tournament on a PC with a 56k modem? Trust me its difficult to play, your computer virtually stops working......

On a games console it'd be worse....

Nintendo won't make anything new to enhance online gameplay with a 56k adapter as it just won't be fast...
Fri 13/09/02 at 21:37
Regular
And the same will happen with GameCube broadband, but people such as myself who can't get broadband can enjoy it all on a lower scale, via a 56K. I have complete faith in Nintendo to design this to make it equally enjoyable.
Fri 13/09/02 at 21:31
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Yeah but the difference is, X-Box Live has a lot more to it than just dumping your game character online and walking around. The MS online service will give every player an online profile and buddy list, etc.
All games will support the headset too so there is more communication between players instead of typing.
Plus with every player having one identity online, prats will think twice about going around trying to be clever by ruining other peoples games as word will soon spread and something can be done about them.

And like I said, with the amount of players being able to enter the majority of X-Box Live games, modems just wouldn't be able to cope with it all.
Fri 13/09/02 at 21:30
Regular
Urgh, Even when (and if) Nintendo release online, the 56k will SERIOUSLY lag games.
Fri 13/09/02 at 21:17
Regular
Savatt78 wrote:
> Modems wouldn't be able to support the amount of players X-Box Live
> will have in a game at once.

What, all five X-Box owners? ;). All I'm trying to say is that it's best if you can cater for gamers that need 56K and gamers that need broadband. Nintendo are also separating the 56k'ers from the broadband'ers.

I don't think I would charge in here ranting about X-Box live either...
Fri 13/09/02 at 21:03
Regular
Put it this way, playing a game accross a normal Modem (56k) will casue serious lag.

Microsoft don't want that so they opted for the broadband only service, which in my opinion the bestest thing to do......
Fri 13/09/02 at 20:49
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Why ? Cause they want to give a decent service online ?
All it would take is one instance of lag and no doubt you lot would come swarming in here with "X-Box Live is crap hur, hur, hur" posts.

Modems wouldn't be able to support the amount of players X-Box Live will have in a game at once.
Fri 13/09/02 at 20:45
Regular
Ah well, if Microsoft don't want to enable all gamers to go online that's their loss....
Fri 13/09/02 at 20:23
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Lets face it though, Microsoft couldn't make half the critics and fanboys happy on here no matter what it does.
While it was at £300, a number of people were whining and slating MS. As soon as they do what everyone wanted, its still wrong.

No doubt if Nintendo had slashed the GC to £60 within 3 weeks, Ninties would be hailing it as a great move by the company.
When MS slashed the price, at least they did something to try and make it up to the early buyers. They put the console out for £300 which I think is fair, considering what you get.
I'd rather see a price drop if it means it'll help sales, cause in my opinion. the X-Box is a console with great potential and is going to cover the different areas of gaming.
Besides the usual 1 player games and games that have upto 4 players involved, MS have also included console link up and broadband online play as well so X-Box owners get the chance to play in all current fields.

Of course some will go on about the fact that X-Box online is broadband only, but then whats the point of having a massive online network if its going to be half ar5ed ?
Modems are complete cack for online play, especially when things get crowded. Even the 56k modems aren't all that great.
So rather than have everyone suffer from lag, its best to make it all broadband so everyone has a good connection and can enjoy the online experience instead of constantly worrying about bad connections.

I think the Dreamcast was an excellent console, but if there was a drawback, its that the online connections tended to be pretty crappy. I used to spend ages trying to connect to Phantasy Star Online on a busy night and Quake 3 had times where lag just made things a nightmare.
If online play is going to be a decent option, it has to be broadband so that all players can enjoy the experience without getting kicked off. Not to mention one player having a better connection over another.
With X-Box Live giving you an online profile, the last thing you want is 200 kills against you thanks to people picking you off while lag sets in.

As it was said at E3 when MS were discussing X-Box Live - "We could give modem connection, but that would be like sucking pizza through a straw."
Fri 13/09/02 at 17:24
Regular
Yeah, good point Strafex. It was at least four or five months after it's release that the N64 went down, so you can't expect Nintendo to go paying everyone the difference. It was different with the X-Box, it would have been unfair to cut it so soon.

It's been four months since the GameCube's release, and I suspect they'll cut it by 20 or 30 pounds. I wouldn't be upset, it's how it works in the fast moving console wars of today.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.