GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game survey taken in USA, Xbox is Fave"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/08/02 at 20:28
Regular
Taken from www.officialxboxmagazine.co.uk: -

"The results of the largest survey of gamers this year has revealed that Xbox is the top console of choice this Christmas.

Over 12,000 US gamers were asked, "What console do you plan to buy in the coming year?" and 39 percent answered Xbox! 27 percent answered PlayStation 2, and 17 percent plan to pick up a GameCube.

The study also showed that game demos are the most influence over game purchase decisions. When asked "Which of these items highly influence your game purchase decisions?" nearly 8 out of 10 respondents (78%) ranked game demos the number 1 factor, far ahead of the number 2 response: game reviews (47%). Both television commercials (35%) and magazine ads (31%) trailed furthest behind as drivers."

Not bad eh?
Page:
Sun 08/09/02 at 22:44
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
If Rare do goto Microsoft, it'll be interesting to see the X-Box's Christmas sales as they'll no doubt pick up considerably. I think the games line up coming to X-Box could be enough to get plenty of buyers anyway, but Rare would certainly be a helpful boost.
Sun 08/09/02 at 22:30
Regular
Not at all.

It was state of the art at the time.

Back then PC's cost more than modern ones, and didn't even come with a 3D card.

Both technology and standards have improved since then.
Anyway, MS are learning.

I think their biggest mistake was pumping too much money into it.
Nintendo put minimal money into the hardware cost and advertising because they knew that they could compete with the PS2's sales, so they based it on a system that would give them fair profits from less sales.

MS's marketing system relies on a Playstation style sucess to reap the profits, having pumped so many fortunes into it, the only problem being, they'd have to pry the entire industry from Sony's grasp.
It hasn't worked.

MS are gradually building up, but losing a fortune through advertising, price cuts (they're making HUGE losses for each sale and they're still pricing hire than the Gamecube).

Still, they are trying and learning and taking the neccessary steps to make good. I think their user base will gradually build.
Even I'll get one if they manage to buy out Rare...
Sun 08/09/02 at 22:18
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
But at the end of the day, Microsoft are new to the console industry and they have to learn by their mistakes. Overall though I think £300 was a reasonable price considering what the machine can do.
When the N64 came out, it had no features whatsoever and at £250, was a complete con. I'm not saying the console should have had features overall, just that for £250 it should have been more for the money.
Sun 08/09/02 at 21:53
Regular
Savatt78 wrote:

> Its like when the X-Box first came out, posters on these forums were
> in an uproar that Microsoft had the cheek to put a £300 price
> tag on their console. It was somehow forgotton that the PS1 and PS2
> both went onto the shelves at the same price. Not only that but the
> N64 also went for £250 when it first came out.

Hey! We gave the PS2 a similar slating at it's launch!

And I know that the N64's launch wasn't exactly well priced, but the games market is more competitive nowdays, and besides, the N64's high prices cost Nintendo dearly!

They cost MS dearly too, hence the desperate price cuts.
Sun 08/09/02 at 21:49
Regular
Nintendo had a much stronger reputation back then.

After the Snes, they pretty much ruled the gaming world.
This arrogant over-pricing, among other arrogance-related flaws, caused them to lose a LOT of ground to Sony. Nintendo only survived down to:

A) Their great reputation.
B) Their games were still MILES ahead of the competition.

I didn't pick up an N64 until it was 100 quid with Goldeneye.
Superb value.

Nintendo have learnt from their mistakes, and made the Gamecube as cost efficient, and develloper friendly as possible.
And they did a very good job too. :-)
Sun 08/09/02 at 21:29
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Mantis wrote:
> If Xbox games cost as much as £50 it would be labeled an
> outrage. How did Nintendo get away with those absurd price tags?

Because they're Nintendo and they love their buyers apparently.

Its like when the X-Box first came out, posters on these forums were in an uproar that Microsoft had the cheek to put a £300 price tag on their console. It was somehow forgotton that the PS1 and PS2 both went onto the shelves at the same price. Not only that but the N64 also went for £250 when it first came out.

Overall I was happy to pay £300 for my X-Box cause even now, I think it was worth it. The games may have been slow coming out until now, but I still got plenty to keep me busy which is more than what a lot of PS2 buyers could say within the first 6 months.
Sun 08/09/02 at 21:04
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Savatt78 wrote:
> I think one of the biggest cons of the N64 was the memory card. Sod all space on it and it cost something like £15. On Mario Kart, all it took was one saved ghost time to fill it up.

My friend bought one, saved 1 game on it(the lamest game ever, Rampage) then it refused to work. They were a con!

>Not only that, if you spent £70 on Turok, to save the game you also needed the memory card on top of that, so overall a ridiculous £85 to play 1 game and save your progress.

I know! My friend bought Perfect Dark, an expansion pac and a guide for the game, it set him back £95! Hello thats near a ton, it was a rip.
OOT also set him back £60 along with other. Excitebike64 cost him £45, and it was nowhere near as good as it was made to be.

South park on N64, recieved a 90% score in an N64 mag, turned out to be THE biggest pile of skanked up bollards ever to grace a console. Oh look more turkeys! Worth £5o? It wasn't even worth the cardboard box it came packaged in.

Oh that reminds me, why did the games come in cardboard boxes. Thats so cheap.

>Its that kind of thing that makes me laugh when people whine about evil Bill Gates and how Nintendo love us so much.

If Xbox games cost as much as £50 it would be labeled an outrage. How did Nintendo get away with those absurd price tags?
Sun 08/09/02 at 20:23
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I think one of the biggest cons of the N64 was the memory card. Sod all space on it and it cost something like £15. On Mario Kart, all it took was one saved ghost time to fill it up.
Not only that, if you spent £70 on Turok, to save the game you also needed the memory card on top of that, so overall a ridiculous £85 to play 1 game and save your progress.

I loved playing Conker's, but at £60 it certainly stung at around £15 - £20 more than an X-Box game.

Its that kind of thing that makes me laugh when people whine about evil Bill Gates and how Nintendo love us so much. They didn't put out the GC at £130 because they're thinking "we love our buyers", they're doing it because if they charge too much, they wouldn't be able to compete with the other 2 consoles that have the extra capabilities thrown in.

No company does things with love for its fans in mind. If Nintendo could compete with Microsoft as far as flashing cash around goes, they'd do it.
What all companies do is provide they're main core of buyers with what they want.

With the X-Box and PS2 now down considerably in price, it'll be interesting to see if Nintendo make a similar move and if they do, will the people that have already bought one get anything back for their loyalty.
Sun 08/09/02 at 18:55
Regular
The N64 was a bit of a jip.

Remember when perfect dark came out. you had to buy an expansion pak just so you could play multiplayer.

I remember when the N64 first came out. they were selling the games for 64 quid.

Its was all a con. Just like all the pokemon stuff. The stadium add-on and all that over jazz.
Sun 08/09/02 at 18:53
Regular
That game was possibly the worst game ever, the multiplayer was fun for about 2 minutes but only if you had 3 mates to play it with.

Anyone ever try south park racing, and that Chefs love shack game??

The racing wernt that bad for about a 5er. the quiz game you could just download off the internet.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.