GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game survey taken in USA, Xbox is Fave"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/08/02 at 20:28
Regular
Taken from www.officialxboxmagazine.co.uk: -

"The results of the largest survey of gamers this year has revealed that Xbox is the top console of choice this Christmas.

Over 12,000 US gamers were asked, "What console do you plan to buy in the coming year?" and 39 percent answered Xbox! 27 percent answered PlayStation 2, and 17 percent plan to pick up a GameCube.

The study also showed that game demos are the most influence over game purchase decisions. When asked "Which of these items highly influence your game purchase decisions?" nearly 8 out of 10 respondents (78%) ranked game demos the number 1 factor, far ahead of the number 2 response: game reviews (47%). Both television commercials (35%) and magazine ads (31%) trailed furthest behind as drivers."

Not bad eh?
Sat 31/08/02 at 15:52
"High polygon count"
savatt1668 wrote:
> I think the X-Box will become more popular over time here. Its a case
> of bringing the games out that make people want the console. At the
> moment, people are sticking to the brands they know, some of them
> cause they genuinely feel its the console they want most, others
> because its the brand they assume everyone else has so they want it.

Translation:

"I think the X-Box will become more popular over time here."

I hope that Xbox gets becomes more popular, otherwise I've landed myself with an expensive paperweight.

"Its a case of bringing the games out that make people want the console."

We had a few good titles at launch, but five-and-a-half months on, there's precious little available to make new buyers really want to purchase an Xbox.

"At the moment, people are sticking to the brands they know,"

Xbox isn't selling, and people won't buy a machine they think may not succeed.

"some of them cause they genuinely feel its the console they want most,"

Until better games arrive, people are buying other platforms with a better selection of software available.

"others because its the brand they assume everyone else has so they want it."

I hate owning the least popular machine.

;-p
Sat 31/08/02 at 15:09
Regular
12,000 gamers, judging by weekly sales firgures that's sod all people.
Sat 31/08/02 at 15:03
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Exactly. :-) I mean 75,000 units a week for the last what, 2 and a half years ? Thats not even taking the numbers sold around launch time into consideration. It looks like the dead are rising from the grave in Japan and they're buying PS2's ! ;-))

I detect the strong scent of bull shat in the air. ;-)
Sat 31/08/02 at 14:50
Regular
LOL, you are right Savatt, according to the offical PS2 magazine the PS2 on average sells 75,000 PS2's a week in Japan alone, I think that is rubish! Everyone in Japan should own one according to that, I find that very hard to believe. The results in the Xbox magazine were done by an independant developer, they got a member from the mag, someone from Microsoft and someone from a games company that develops for all 3 consoles and every single one of them said how successful the Xbox will be after christmas and how the games on them will be out of this world, after chrsitmas sales will rise dramatically.
Sat 31/08/02 at 14:43
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
But at the end of the day, these other people that love to quote the Japanese sales are getting their info from the same types of sources. All I'm saying is that this post is just as plausible as the others.

To this day I'd love to know how many people live in Japan. Going by the sales that are quoted around here, every household in Japan must own around 2 or 3 PS2's by now. ;-))
Sat 31/08/02 at 14:11
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
One major problem, you need to check the results that have not gone through the Xbox Official Magazine!

Nintendo Official Magazine made crap like up that all the time, 'The N64 is the most popular reveals a survey.'

All official magazines do it! It's what their paid to do!

Although it may be true, they've probably changed some of the data.
Sat 31/08/02 at 14:04
Regular
savatt1668 wrote:
> Microsoft are certainly going in the right direction with the games
> that are on the way, its a case of sitting back and seeing what
> happens. I think MS will do well this Christmas.

Yup we've got quite a few decent games coming out in November/December time, also with Xbox Live round the corner, Xbox will do well.
Sat 31/08/02 at 13:07
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Tóm wrote:
> But that's america. And that's because it's microsoft, and american
> company. They want to buy american.
>
> In the UK, where it counts here, I'm afraid it would probably be quite
> different.

Yeah but to be fair, other posters on here LOVE to quote the sales in Japan too which funnily enough is where the GC and PS2 come from. Of course this post isn't any more right than them, I'm just making a point.

I think the X-Box will become more popular over time here. Its a case of bringing the games out that make people want the console. At the moment, people are sticking to the brands they know, some of them cause they genuinely feel its the console they want most, others because its the brand they assume everyone else has so they want it.

Microsoft are certainly going in the right direction with the games that are on the way, its a case of sitting back and seeing what happens. I think MS will do well this Christmas.
Sat 31/08/02 at 08:22
"For the horde!!!!"
most of them asked may already own a PS2 or a Game cube and want the Xbox as well.
Tue 27/08/02 at 23:22
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
But that's america. And that's because it's microsoft, and american company. They want to buy american.

In the UK, where it counts here, I'm afraid it would probably be quite different.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.