GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"To Buy or Not To Buy?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/08/02 at 21:35
Regular
Me I am a PS2 owner, and for Christmas or earlier i would like to get a new console, either the xbox or the GCN.

Ive done research on the Xbox, it sounds good, but can you GCN fans persuade me into getting a Nitendo Gamecube? What has it got that is better than the Xbox? Why is it worth getting? Will my gaming needs be satisifed with this console?

One thing I like about this is that Freeloader allows you to play games without chiiping the console, which is good for cheap imports.

Please Help!!
Sun 15/09/02 at 17:14
Regular
"^_^"
Allied Assault for the Pc is the best version though
Sun 15/09/02 at 17:13
Regular
da_1_n_only wrote:
> Is this true that Medal Of Honour will be on both the Cube and Xbox
> next year, I heard it will also feature Multi_player option and the
> graphics will be better than the PS2 version.

Even though I disliked the PS2 version, Medal Of Honour: Frontline is GameCube bound and will make excellent use of the console's superior power with the best graphics, framerate and a multiplayer option.
Sun 15/09/02 at 16:52
Regular
"^_^"
right on brother
Sun 15/09/02 at 16:48
Regular
Nintendo has more AAA titles on its console and 1,000,000 buying SMS and they cant all be wrong.

Take away the multi format titles and GC has more AND better games than the other 2.

People who say that its bad becuase it hasnt got a hard drive and dvd player cant use that for much longer as a dvd and hard drvie will be made by nintendo/panasonic that will fit underneath, by a wire, the GC.(not the Qcube)

Consoles play games, so get the console with the best games. Xbox may have Halo and project gotham racing, and ps2 may have GTA3 and MGS2 but there isnt much else but sony and MS adverise it so much it looks like the console of the century. they are just one hit wonders and sequals are the only thing that will beat them as many of the games on those 2 consoles are just spin offs from that genre and add little and sometimes nothing to the game.

Ive had enough pussyfooting around im going to say what i think from now on and thats what i think.
Sun 15/09/02 at 15:27
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Even though I don't enjoy it, Resident evil is liked by many, many people. That has to be a seeling point for most people over the XBOX. To be truthful, I don't see a single game on the Xbox that I would want.
Sun 15/09/02 at 15:23
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Dunno about the details for the GC version, but on X-Box, the graphics are going to be sharper, theres going to be a multiplayer and I think its due around October/November time.
Sun 15/09/02 at 09:50
Regular
"Look Ma, No Tagline"
Is this true that Medal Of Honour will be on both the Cube and Xbox next year, I heard it will also feature Multi_player option and the graphics will be better than the PS2 version.
Sat 14/09/02 at 15:58
Regular
da_1_n_only wrote:
> Whoa, Extremely long opinion. And a good one too. Turok Evolution
> looks absolutely wicked. Just saw clips of it on GameNetwork, and the
> graphics are STUNNINGly good.

Yeah, and it's also worth noting that it's been held back a couple of extra weeks for GameCube. This is because Acclaim feel the Turok series is loyal to Nintendo, and are using the time for graphical and speed updates, so the GC version will be the best.

> Mario Sunshine looks to be one of the best selling games, the other
> games which come out on PS2 and Xbox will eventually be on Gamecube
> aswell, except the exclusives for each console.

You got that right, 'Mario Sunshine', as of it's first week, has sold 1,000,000 copies in Japan and America alone. That outstrips the likes of 'Halo' and 'Grand Theft Auto 3' by quite a way.

Most games now are multi-format, but the ones that aren't (excluding the exclusives) are sort of semi-multi-format (e.g. Final Fantasy on PS2 and GameCube but not X-Box). You can bet the GameCube will have the most of these semi-multi-format games, and exclusives too.

> Ive played the cube, the controller fits nicely into my palms. The
> game I played was WaveRacer and that looked cool. Rouge Leader was
> good as well and so was Smash Bros. Plus I aint tried the Xbox yet,
> Ive held the control, its ok but there are too many buttons on the
> pad.

Microsoft, as we've seen, have placed quantity over quality and therefore done poorly in the console wars. With the best games and £30.00 cheaper than anything else, the GameCube's the one to buy.

What are you waiting for? ;)
Thu 12/09/02 at 18:30
Regular
"Look Ma, No Tagline"
Whoa, Extremely long opinion. And a good one too. Turok Evolution looks absolutely wicked. Just saw clips of it on GameNetwork, and the graphics are STUNNINGly good. Mario Sunshine looks to be one of the best selling games, the other games which come out on PS2 and Xbox will eventually be on Gamecube aswell, except the exclusives for each console.

Ive played the cube, the controller fits nicely into my palms. The game I played was WaveRacer and that looked cool. Rouge Leader was good as well and so was Smash Bros. Plus I aint tried the Xbox yet, Ive held the control, its ok but there are too many buttons on the pad.
Wed 11/09/02 at 21:02
Regular
[What I’m about to say is my opinion, but mainly fact. What console you buy will be mainly up to what type of gamer you are. Both consoles are great, but seeing as I have the GameCube, I’ll tell you a little about it below.]

Well, if you're getting a console on top of your PS2, then the GameCube will be the best bet. The reason being? Most games coming out on X-Box will be on the PS2 and GameCube anyway, so what you should decide it is the first and second party games. Here, I believe GameCube wins hands down. Think of games like Super Mario Sunshine, Perfect Dark Zero, Resident Evil and Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron 2 and only GameCube owners can play them. There’s many more, so just feast your eyes on this list of games:

Above Average Games Out Already:

ACTION

Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron 2 – 9/10.
Super Smash Bros. Melee – 9/10.
Resident Evil – 9/10.
Bloody Roar Extreme – 8/10.
Cel Damage – 7/10.
Spider-Man – 7/10.
James Bond 007 in Agent Under Fire – 7/10.

ADVENTURE

Luigi's Mansion – 8/10.

DRIVING

Burnout – 9/10.
Wave Race: Blue Storm – 8/10.
Driven – 8/10.
Extreme-G 3 – 8/10.
Dark Summit – 7/10.
Spy Hunter – 7/10.
SSX Tricky – 7/10.
F1 2002 – 7/10.

PUZZLE

Worms Blast – 7/10.
ZooCube – 7/10.

ROLE PLAYING GAME

Lost Kingdoms – 7/10.

SIMULATION

None yet :).

SPORTS

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 – 9/10.
International Superstar Soccer 2 – 8/10.
NBA Street – 8/10.
NBA Courtside 2002 – 8/10.
Red Card 8/10.
NHL Hitz 2002 – 7/10.

STRATEGY

Super Monkey Ball – 8/10.
Pikmin – 8/10.

[These are the official scores, I didn’t just make them up. They were taken from Nintendo Official Magazine where 10/10 is Gaming Perfection, 9/10 is Almost Perfect, 8/10 is Highly Recommended, 7/10 is Good and 6/10 is Average. I’ve only listed the above average games.]

And Still To Come:

ACTION

Star Wars Bounty Hunter [GameCube exclusive from LucasArts]
TimeSplitters 2 [A very promising FPS]
Perfect Dark Zero [An FPS to rule all FPS’ – possible online]
Metroid Prime [A class FPS from the Big N]
Turok Evolution
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
The Matrix
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
RTX Red Rock
James Bond 007: Nightfire
Die Hard Vendetta
Gladius
Largo Winch: Empire Under Threat
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Project BG&E
Tomb Raider: The Prophecy
Splinter Cell
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
Reign Of Fire
Blood Omen 2
True Crime: Streets Of LA [GTA beater apparently]

ADVENTURE

Super Mario Sunshine [Possibly the best platformer ever]
The Legend of Zelda GC [Yet another innovative title from Nintendo]
Animal Crossing [HUGE game – possibly online]
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet
Dragon's Lair 3D
The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time [Enhanced version]
Wario World
Vexx
Crash Bandicoot: Wrath Of Cortex
The Hobbit
XIII
Dr. Muto
Haven: Call To The King
Harry Potter and The Chamber Of Secrets
Disney’s Magical Mirror Starring Mickey Mouse

DRIVING

F-Zero GC
1080: White Storm
Smuggler's Run Warzones
MX Superfly
Burnout 2: Point Of Impact
Pro Rally
Rally Championship
Freekstyle
Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions
Shaun Murray’s Pro Wakeboarder
Driver 3
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
Rally Fusion
Colin McRae Rally 3

PUZZLE

Mario Party 4 [Update of a great game – possibly online]

ROLE PLAYING GAME

Final Fantasy [All the ones Sony are getting]
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles [GC Exclusive, plus GBA link-up.]
Phantasy Star Online [GameCube online remake]
Skies Of Arcadia [GameCube remake – possibly online]
Falsebound Kingdom [Based on Yu-Gi-Oh! Japanese TV Series]

SIMULATION

StarFox [NAMCO/Nintendo flying game]
Top Gun: Combat Zones
Doshin The Giant
Cubivore
BattleBots

SPORTS

Mario Golf [Update of a great game – possibly online]
Mario Tennis [Update of a great game – possibly online]
Mario Kart [Update of a great game – possibly online]
WWE Wrestlemania X8 [Exclusive to GC]
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Aggressive Inline
Pro Evolution Soccer 2
Disney Soccer
Captain Tsubusa: Golden Generation Challenge

STRATEGY

Super Monkey Ball 2
Risk

All of the above will be out by the end of the year (with the exception of ten or so) and are tipped to be very good. Combine that with the fairly large amount I’ve missed and the list that hasn’t been featured in magazines yet and you’ve got a huge variety of games on your hands by Christmas.

Also, the GameCube has been proven to match and better the X-Box in some areas and vice versa. This leaves the two fairly even when it comes to graphics and power. For example, the GameCube is capable of certain special effects the X-Box cannot achieve. Also, when it comes to polygon count, the two are more or less even. Aswell as this, the GameCube uses a different kind of processor than the X-Box, but is the equivalent of an 800Mhz one when dealing with the X-Box’s kind. This is more than the X-Box’s 733Mhz, so you see the GameCube is just as good as the X-Box technically. For a more in depth description of the consoles, I find that the following site is the best:

http://cube.totalgames.net/features/featuresfull2.epml? (space) features2.REF=15&newsFormat.REF=9&featureType.REF=1

Also, online gaming’s looking promising for Nintendo, and it’s out already in Japan [America to follow suit very soon] with it’s first release [Phantasy Star Online] and the promise of more soon. If you’re wanting to get hooked up to the internet, Nintendo have designed the GameCube so that people who can’t get broadband can buy a 56K modem for the same price or less. You’re looking at about a £20.00 modem [broadband or 56K] with no hard drive or installation necessary. Monthly and yearly fees are sketchy for over here, but it’s going to be either free, £6.00 a month or £100.00 a year if what rumours suggest is correct. GameCube online will reach Europe early next year, at about the same time as X-Box LIVE.

The controller’s the best ever designed in my opinion and will fit into your hand snugly. It caters for all sizes of hands, no matter what some people will say, and features superb left and right analogue shoulder buttons. Though the D-Pad’s a little small, most games are programmed to overcome this minor problem, and you’ll soon get used to it. All the buttons are the right sizes and in the correct, easy to reach positions, making it the perfect controller for almost anything. The analogue sticks are offset, which is best for first person shooters and each one has precise accuracy. It really is a great controller.

Also, the price is significantly less, and won’t eat such a large hole in your pocket. Sure the X-Box has a DVD, but you have to pay an extra £20.00 to get it working, and with a PS2 already, you don’t really need that feature. The GameCube makes up for the lack of hard drive by producing a superb memory card that will easily store save files for about 15 – 20 games. This is just £14.99, last time I checked, so it’s great value too. It’s also worth noting that the games are about £5.00 less than X-Box ones, with peripherals being a couple of quid less too. And with four controller ports, no multi-tap is necessary. Nintendo really have the budget gamer in mind.

Plus critics have tipped the X-Box to fail, and the GameCube to catch up with the PS2, so you won’t feel short-changed. Also, with something like one hundred exclusives by May next year and Nintendo on a roll of original, quality and innovative titles, there’s a lot of life and potential left in that box of wonders.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.