GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"To Buy or Not To Buy?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/08/02 at 21:35
Regular
Me I am a PS2 owner, and for Christmas or earlier i would like to get a new console, either the xbox or the GCN.

Ive done research on the Xbox, it sounds good, but can you GCN fans persuade me into getting a Nitendo Gamecube? What has it got that is better than the Xbox? Why is it worth getting? Will my gaming needs be satisifed with this console?

One thing I like about this is that Freeloader allows you to play games without chiiping the console, which is good for cheap imports.

Please Help!!
Fri 23/08/02 at 19:21
Regular
"Look Ma, No Tagline"
Cool cool thats a good thing. Plus does anyone know if the cube will eventually get a Gun, for future gun based games.
Fri 23/08/02 at 11:48
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
da_1_n_only wrote:
> as the
> disc size is smaller and contains less info than the Ps2 and xbox does
> this mean it will have less levels, etc or the same?

No. I have to say it won't, nintendo have been thinking about multi layering discs for the larger games and if it's required then the'll spread the game out over two discs.

Boxcar boy stated (well i think it was bcb, can't remember)
that the discs held less than others.

But they still hold four times as much as the sm64 cartridge held and that game was pretty big so theres no need to worry about not getting games that are big.
Fri 23/08/02 at 11:38
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
Maverick42 wrote:
> What was no. 10?

It was "You'll have a reason to buy cube magazine!"
Blatent advertsing
Thu 22/08/02 at 23:34
Regular
"Look Ma, No Tagline"
See, good games coming out, the Cube does seem to be powerful as the Xbox as there chip has the same power. I think if I do buy the cube it will be in black. Dont need a DVD player thats why I bought one time ago.

Good to see some fantastic games coming out like Driver 3, but as the disc size is smaller and contains less info than the Ps2 and xbox does this mean it will have less levels, etc or the same?
Thu 22/08/02 at 20:51
Regular
da_1_n_only wrote:
> I see, but will games such as Colin McRae me fav game come out, Ive
> seen that some games come out early on the Xbox and PS2 than that game
> comes out on the Cube a month later.

Check my post below. Also, all multi format games are being released at the same time now - Colin McRae Rally 3 being no exception. You can also bet the GameCube version will be best thanks to it's confirmed low price and no loading times.

> Im looking forward to Mario Sunshine and especially Resi Evil all 5
> games. But will the Cube have great 1st person shooters, will it have
> Guns to play shooting games. It has the power so will it have the
> games.

Yep, I'm looking forward to Mario Sunshine too, and that's 6 Resident Evil exclusives by the way. Also, you can bet the GameCube will be home to some brilliant first person shooters, thanks to the intricate and brilliant controller and console design. Take a look at the following first person shooters for GameCube:

Out Now:

James Bond 007: Night Fire
Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron 2 [When played through first person mode]

Incoming:

Timesplitters 2
Turok Evolution
Metroid Prime
James Bond 007: Nightfire
Die Hard: Vendetta
Tom Clancey's Raven Shield
Perfect Dark Zero
The Matrix [Possibly FPS]
Probotector [Unconfirmed - Possibly FPS]

Ok, so it looks a little thin, but as well as FPS, there's a whole load of action/adventure and shoot 'em ups (Splinter Cell, for example) on their way to GameCube to rival the X-Box's.
Thu 22/08/02 at 20:33
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
After seeing all of those great games, i have to say i have definately bought the right console.
Thu 22/08/02 at 20:28
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
Ahh console war topic!

*runs*
Thu 22/08/02 at 20:26
Regular
da_1_n_only wrote:
> Ok I said that this was a Kiddies console, but infact Im having second
> thoughts to get this console instead of the Xobx. why? its way
> cheaper, way smaller, better than the PS2 in speed, graphics, games
> are cheaper, and its got some good games coming out. Just seen
> previews of Resi Evil and Mario Sunshine they sure do look cool.

You'd be forgiven for thinking the GameCube was a kiddie's console, due to it's small, innocent and purple exterior. Really though, it's got a huge variety of games, and by the end of the year, a library to rival even the PS2. It's been proven to match and beat the X-Box in terms of power and graphics, and with it, you only pay for what you want.

If you don't want a DVD or CD player, then you're fine. If you do, then get the panasonic GameQube. If you don't want to go on the internet, don't buy the modem, if you do, then DO buy the modem. The problem with the X-Box is that you may end up paying for more than you want, and thanks to Nintendo's innovation and customer care, you don't need a modem.

The Nintendo GameCube delivers gaming for all ages at a very affordable price, with better games for less money. If your looking for an extra console, this is the one to buy thanks to it's price, hardware design and excellent games from Nintendo and Rare. Plus, most games that make the X-Box worth buying are coming out on the GameCube too.

> One thing why has the image of Zelda changed in this new upcoming
> game, plus what racing games has the cube got to offer?

That's two things, but I'll answer it anyway. ;).

The image of the Zelda games has changed because creator Shigeru Miyamoto, instead of making Link older, wanted to make him younger, so the saga could be continued more easily. This new cel shading technique is proof of Nintendo's innovation and quest for original and quality games. Bear in mind that any screenshots you've seen are very early ones, and you can expect the actual graphics to be much better, cel shaded or not. Even if you don't like the visuals, the classic and brilliant Zelda gameplay will still be there to give the game a strong foundation and, if necessary, a safety net. By the way, there are unconfirmed reports of a new un-cel shaded Zelda game in the making. Other rumours say it's an updated version of Ocarina Of Time, that it will come in three discs and is what the original GC Zelda was shown as.

Onto the second then. The GameCube is in no way lacking in racing games, and in the not too distant future they'll be more than you can afford coming at you. Here's a list:

Racing Games Out Now:

Wave Race: Blue Storm - 8/10.
Burnout - 9/10.
Driven - 8/10.
Extreme-G 3 - 8/10.
Spy Hunter - 7/10.
F1 2002 - 7/10.
Crazy Taxi - 6/10.
The Simpsons Road Rage - 5/10.
Jeremy McGrath Supercross World - 5/10.
18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker - 4/10.

[Scores taken from Nintendo Official Magazine where the 'Average' score is 6/10]

Racing Games To Come:

F-Zero GC
1080 2: White Storm
Mercedes-Benz World Racing
WWE: Crush Hour
Top Gun: Combat Zones
Smuggler's Run: Warzones
MX Superfly
Burnout 2: Point Of Impact
Rally Championship
Hot Wheels
Ridge Racer
Colin McRae Rally 3
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
Shox
Driver 3
Mario Kart GC
Pro Rally
Freekstyle
Rally Fusion
Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions

And on top of all this, if you're into racing games, there's a feast of fast paced titles on the GameCube and soon to be released for it. Things such as SSX Tricky, Dark Summit, Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 will please fans of quick, action packed racing games.

Hope that helped. :).
Wed 21/08/02 at 21:41
Regular
"Look Ma, No Tagline"
Good statement, one thing why would school kids pick on you if u got the Xbox?
Wed 21/08/02 at 11:05
Regular
sorry didnt realise how long it was, i didnt mean it to be that long.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.