GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"To Buy or Not To Buy?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/08/02 at 21:35
Regular
Me I am a PS2 owner, and for Christmas or earlier i would like to get a new console, either the xbox or the GCN.

Ive done research on the Xbox, it sounds good, but can you GCN fans persuade me into getting a Nitendo Gamecube? What has it got that is better than the Xbox? Why is it worth getting? Will my gaming needs be satisifed with this console?

One thing I like about this is that Freeloader allows you to play games without chiiping the console, which is good for cheap imports.

Please Help!!
Wed 21/08/02 at 11:04
Regular
Instead of giving you the fact of why xbox is better than Gamecube or vise versa ill put my likes and dislikes about each console.
I know everyone has diffrent opinoin about things but these are mine and hopefully will help you a little.
Of course ill write more about Gamecube because i know more about than the others but ill try not to be biased.
And i know you have a PS2 but ill do that one as well for other people.

PS2
A bit about it - To me it seems as this is the console that manages to get exclusives of "adult" games, even though nintendo has 6 exclusive games in resi evil PS2 will still get a resi evil game. As im sure most people know it has the great game in thye form of MGS2 and GTA3, not to everybodys taste but its still a good idea to buy these games with the console.
This also seems to be the best place for Racing games as nearly every racing game out is on it, GT3 should ring a bell, so if you like racers this is the console.
Advantages - It has a big collection of games already due to the fact you can play PS1 games an also the PS2 has been out for about 2 years now. Like i said racing games coming out of the ears, so you like them this is the console. If you have a PS1 the controllers will still work and the memory cards, although they wont save PS2 games. Its got that really tacky, but at the same time cool, spinny PS logo thing. Its sold loads, no use denying it, so there should be more second hand games and people to swap games with. I, personally, love the power button dont ask why i could just sit there all day pressing it. And it plays DVDs and although PS2 owners say this makes the console what it is and boosts game performance this has not been proven in the field of gaming and never will.
Disadvantages - due to it being 2 years old some will say its graphical performance is lower than the other next gen console, this is true, however it is not sure a big leap so unless you try to find it slower you wont. Some new games may not be made on the PS2 because of th power. The PS2 pads still the same and some find it uncomftorble. " controller ports arghhhhhhhhh.

Xbox
A bit about the console - This is where every game comes to an end, nearly every game that is on PS2 or PC you will find here, some will say this is good some will say this is bad as the games are not that great and/or badly ported.
Advantages - has a DVD player, but so does the PS2 and you need to pay for it, 4 controller ports. on paper it is the best, but this is when nothing is running. Halo, but this will go to PC. Has a hard drive to save games. Sorry i cant think of many.
Disadvantages - Controller, broad band only, people will take the p out of you at school, just plain bad games in my opinoin with a few that keep it living.

GameCube
A bit about it - games only, it has nintendo and rare, plus a few exclucives. Because of rare and nintendo some of the best games in the world will ber on it and unless you have the console you will not be able to have them.

Advantages - cheap, not having to pay for another DVD player but can buy the Q if you really want to, multi colours believe me this makes a big diffrence if you have black paint in your room, it will vanish in to the background. If you have the GBA link up mode. one of the bestr controller and the wave bird will soon be released, but then the days of wrapping the lead aroung your mates neck and strangling him when hes about to win will be gone. The games. the handle isnt as tacky as it looks.

Disadvantages - The "kiddy" tag will never be gone for ever. The small discs can be fiddly and some people will mock the size of your software, also some games may not be released due to the amount of data it can hold although this has not be seen often.

But if you lived with playing the PS2 and you enjoyed it you should enjoy anything.
Tue 20/08/02 at 23:27
Regular
And you forgot metroid... heh.
Tue 20/08/02 at 22:56
Regular
Multiformat FPS (shooters) like Turok and Timesplitters are Cube bound.

And in the not so near future, Perfect Dark 2/0 will eventually arrive.
It'll be well worth the wait.
Tue 20/08/02 at 22:33
Regular
"Look Ma, No Tagline"
I see, but will games such as Colin McRae me fav game come out, Ive seen that some games come out early on the Xbox and Ps2 than that game comes out on the Cube a month later.

Im looking forward to Mario Sunshine and especially Resi Evil all 5 games. But will the Cube have great 1st person shooters, will it have Guns to play shooting games. It has the power so will it have the games.
Tue 20/08/02 at 20:58
Regular
Also, the so called X-Box Exclusives Wreckless and True Crime: Streets Of LA are GameCube bound too. Halo will also be out on PC, anyway.
Mon 19/08/02 at 21:49
Regular
Well, theres: F1 2002, Burnout, Burnout 2, F-Zero GC, Extreme G3, Mario Kart... the list goes on.
Mon 19/08/02 at 21:47
Regular
"Look Ma, No Tagline"
One thing Im into racing games, so at the curent moment and for the future what games will Ninty have in offer for me if i buy the Cube.

Just read GamesMaster mag Mario Sunshine was given 95%, looks like a good game. Also it had a WWE contest, to see which console wins, WWE RAW looks washed out for the xbox, while Wrestlemania looks good with the 3d crowd, and Smackdown 4 is full of packed action.
Mon 19/08/02 at 01:46
Regular
Indeed - the future's looking extremely bright for Nintendo, and it's definitely the console to have.
Sun 18/08/02 at 18:55
Regular
"Look Ma, No Tagline"
A good list of games coming out. Sounds good.
Sun 18/08/02 at 18:09
Regular
What was no. 10?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.