GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"To Buy or Not To Buy?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/08/02 at 21:35
Regular
Me I am a PS2 owner, and for Christmas or earlier i would like to get a new console, either the xbox or the GCN.

Ive done research on the Xbox, it sounds good, but can you GCN fans persuade me into getting a Nitendo Gamecube? What has it got that is better than the Xbox? Why is it worth getting? Will my gaming needs be satisifed with this console?

One thing I like about this is that Freeloader allows you to play games without chiiping the console, which is good for cheap imports.

Please Help!!
Sat 17/08/02 at 21:35
Regular
"Look Ma, No Tagline"
Me I am a PS2 owner, and for Christmas or earlier i would like to get a new console, either the xbox or the GCN.

Ive done research on the Xbox, it sounds good, but can you GCN fans persuade me into getting a Nitendo Gamecube? What has it got that is better than the Xbox? Why is it worth getting? Will my gaming needs be satisifed with this console?

One thing I like about this is that Freeloader allows you to play games without chiiping the console, which is good for cheap imports.

Please Help!!
Sat 17/08/02 at 21:38
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
No. We can't convince you.
The only way to convince you is to let you buy an XBOX and make your own mistakes.
Sat 17/08/02 at 21:45
Regular
"Look Ma, No Tagline"
So your talking on everyones behalf that you cant convince me, Im only asking what good features has the GCN got. So in the end I can make up a decision in what console to buy.
Sat 17/08/02 at 21:45
Regular
Ok.

If you already have a PS2, don't bother with an Xbox - they both deliver the same sorts of games so you needn't bother having both.

As for the Gamecube, not only does it have a neat selection of games from Nintendo and Rare, it's setting itself to be the best 4 player machine around, with Smash Brothers and Monkey Ball already out and more to follow.

It's a cheap (so more money tp spend on games), you've already got a PS2 DVD player (so no need for an Xbox one).

As for the Free-Loader, if you're getting one for Christmas, you won't need to import. The hottest US releases will be out in the UK by then, including Starfox Adventures, Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness and plenty of others.

The Xbox offers great First Person Shooters, Realistic Driving games and Realistic Beat-em ups. You can find them on both the Gamecube and PS2 as well.

But if you want to play games like Smash Brothers, Pikmin and Monkey Ball, you'll not find games of this calibre on any other format.

Hope I've been of help. :-)
Sat 17/08/02 at 21:47
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
da_1_n_only wrote:
> So your talking on everyones behalf that you cant convince me, Im only
> asking what good features has the GCN got. So in the end I can make up
> a decision in what console to buy.

yeah well instead of pointing out good stuff about the gamecube, i just pointed out the bad stuff about, well, gaming(XBOX)
Sat 17/08/02 at 21:52
Regular
"Look Ma, No Tagline"
Thanks for the info, anyway how is the controller, how big in size is it and is the Nitendo Wavebird any worth getting.

Also whats happening with the internet services on the GCN.

Plus are the graphics on the GC better than the PS2. One thing why has the GC got lower polygon per second or what ever it is, is that good or bad?
Sat 17/08/02 at 21:57
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
O.K
I'll just write out the most important 30 things as stated by cube magazine issue 2.

1. Rare
2. The controller
3. It's a him, mario
4. Portable
5. Pure bred gaming heritage
6. Shigshy
7. Colours
8. The handle
9. Broadband
10. This one's sad so i'm not posting it
11. GC 2 GBA connectivity
12. Price
13. The tiny discs
14 Weight
15. The Cubeyness of it
16. Doesn't play dvd's
17. Multi player heaven
18. Not from microsoft
19. Like a snes only better
20. Some great web sites
21. Resident evil (capcom)
22. Namco
23. Easy to develop for
24. Panasonic "Q"
25. ZELDA
26. Eteral darkness
27. Rouge leader (great graphical engine)
28. Super monkey ball
29. Star fox
30.Perfect dark sequel

Most of these probobly won't help but i put them up any way.
Sat 17/08/02 at 21:57
Regular
da_1_n_only wrote:
> Thanks for the info, anyway how is the controller, how big in size is
> it

in comparison to the PS2's controller - bigger and more comfy.

and is the Nitendo Wavebird any worth getting.

I haven't got one yet, but I hear they're VERY good.

>
> Also whats happening with the internet services on the GCN.

There will be some in time - I assume they'll be ready for PSO when that's finished.

>
> Plus are the graphics on the GC better than the PS2.

Yes

One thing why has
> the GC got lower polygon per second or what ever it is, is that good
> or bad?

Sony gave stats for the console working with nothing else being processed, in reality, the GameCube can perform much better.
Sat 17/08/02 at 21:59
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Simzer wrote:
> No. We can't convince you.
> The only way to convince you is to let you buy an XBOX and make your
> own mistakes.

Amen.
I ain't gonna try and convince you because, quite frankly, I couldn't care less whether you buy a Gamecube or X-Box. Sure, it would be one more sale for Nintendo, but it's no big deal.

Make up your own mind, go into a games shop and play on the demo units. Never mind what WE think of the consoles, it's what YOU think that counts!
Sat 17/08/02 at 22:01
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
da_1_n_only wrote:
> Thanks for the info, anyway how is the controller, how big in size is
> it and is the Nitendo Wavebird any worth getting.

The controller is the best around, beating even PS2, The wavebird will be worth getting as it will offer freedom for you to jump and run about when you finally finish super monkey ball!

> Also whats happening with the internet services on the GCN.

Ninty arn't saying much but there is a service in development that will be launched when PSO comes out.

> Plus are the graphics on the GC better than the PS2. One thing why has
> the GC got lower polygon per second or what ever it is, is that good
> or bad?

There better than the ps2 by miles but on paper they seem not as good as the XBOX's but research has shown that the gamecube can beat XBOX when pushed to extremes.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.