GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Capital Punishment"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/08/02 at 17:58
Regular
I want to re-ignite the debate about capital punishment. With th events of the last two weeks concerning those missing girls culminating in the arrest of two people, I advocate a return of capital punishment. I don't care how they do it, but these sort of people don't deserve to live - prison is too good for them.

What do you think? Please none of this humanitarian crap defending them though - humanitarianism wasn't high on the two in question when they committed the crime, was it?
Tue 20/08/02 at 19:54
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Capital Punishment never has been, and never can be, acceptable. It bows down to the majority of the public that want vengeance for a crime, and not justice.

If someone murders another, or commits another equally serious crime, then they are tried and imprisoned. Here is the first problem - all justice systems have this slight problem of sending innocent people to jail for serious crimes on many occasions. Unless anyone out there can raise the dead, then it's obvious that Captial Punishment has hit its first snag.

Call it what you want but Capital Punishment is effectively state murder. In times of war our armed forces kill other people - the enemy - people who pose a threat to the nations safety - but the emphasis is increasingly on cpaturing them alive and bringing them to trial, especially war crimes. Do we send in an SAS execution team, like in Norhtern Irelland's history ? Do we laser guide a bomb into their house ? No, we snatch them and bring them to trial and imprison them.

Prison, for life, is far worse than death.

For the record, I'm certainly not what I'd think of as a whining humanitarian, if anyone can remember me from this forum ages back they'll know that !

~~Belldandy~~
Tue 20/08/02 at 12:08
Regular
Thats in prison i mean.

c.b.
Tue 20/08/02 at 12:00
Regular
Pedofiles are segrogated away from the general population, and kept with there own kind, were no doupt they exchange ideas.

c.b.
Tue 20/08/02 at 01:45
Regular
"bWo > You"
I'm afraid that at the moment, what way do we have at ensuring the 'criminals' executed by the state are the actual people who committed the crime? Until the judicial system in this country is brought back to a state of rhyme and reason, we shall never have a way of believing the judges/juries got it right.

You may say that we only use it on those who we are absolutely certain of being guilty. Well, apart from the odd psycho who doesn't give a damn about getting murdered themselves, many could go to great lengths to try and cover up their crimes, therefore avoiding the penalty.

Also, the judges who sentence the criminals will have to have plenty of guts to be the first to give the death sentence to someone, especially with the British media. There will be outrage among the humanitarians, who argue based on the wrong principles, and there will be those trigger-happy cowboys who want to give everyone a trip to the gallows. Social unrest would be caused, adding to the media's stories and headlines.

Also, would we only hang the criminals? Would we have to use the electric chair, one of the most diabolical inventions man has ever created? Or how about a lethal injection? What way would the state employ to kill the criminals? Until a different and more reliable method of sentencing criminals is found, we can't be trusted to kill criminals as a nation.
Mon 19/08/02 at 17:40
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> For the last time - I'm not talking about erasing them, why can't you
> accept that? I'm talking about erasing their deviance

Yes I understand you're not saying just erase the working class. But what you said earlier was to erase their deviancy by putting them in middle class areas, etc. so they begin to act more like a middle class household than a working class one. But this will not simply erase their deviancy (and it is debatable whether it would erase that anyway) but assuming it did start to change them it would erase their whole working class mentality along with the deviancy. And I'm saying that erasing the working class mentality (despite whether or not they are still worse off financially) will, in effect, erase the working class. I'm not saying the people will literally cease to exist, I mean if you change their deviancy you will undoubtedly change other attitudes they have, thus erasing their 'working class' mentality...

> And I said MOST, not all. And it actually looks like the people they
> suspect of killing those two girls ARE working class

But let me ask you, if these people were of the mentality that they killed two school girls for no apparent reason do you really think it would have made a difference if they were middle class, professionals, or whatever? I'm going back to that 'sick' metaphor again, but if they have the sickness surely their class isn't going to make any difference? (Note, in this instance I'm referring directly to the case of the girls, I don't mean crime motivated by money, etc. and I don't mean crime in general)

> Re-read my posts before replying, please

I think I understood what you meant- I know you didn't mean to literally eliminate the working class, I think you may have misunderstood what you thought I thought your post meant... or something...
Mon 19/08/02 at 13:44
Regular
"That's right!"
I'm of two minds about that

The first is - they get what they deserve

The second is - they're human beings, just like us. Yes, they may be sick in the head, but they're still people

Glad I don't have to make any decisions regarding prisons
Mon 19/08/02 at 13:37
if it's punishment for paedophiles that you're looking for then thats exactly what we have, because apparently all the convicts see the paedophiles as the absolute scum of the prisons and bully them mercilessly. Now which is a worse punishment - a quick, painless death or a lifetime of beating and bullying by vicious thugs, and social rejection if you ever escape it?
Mon 19/08/02 at 13:21
Regular
"That's right!"
Exactly. Just because you're working class, it doesn't mean you're a criminal. However, if you ARE a criminal, chances are that you're working class. That's the way it works, it's a social fact
Mon 19/08/02 at 06:25
Regular
"I confused?"
I support Mojo as what he is saying is " most crimes come from people with a working class background" and some are saying that this is a nasty thing to say, but it is true. Therfore don't satrt saying that we hate the working class. As it happens many of my good friends are from a working class background and they are nicer than some the snobs we get around here.
Mon 19/08/02 at 03:41
Regular
"That's right!"
"And my point still stands that you cannot eradicate a social class in our class system without eradicating the entire class system"

For the last time - I'm not talking about erasing them, why can't you accept that? I'm talking about erasing their deviance

And I said MOST, not all. And it actually looks like the people they suspect of killing those two girls ARE working class

Re-read my posts before replying, please

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.