GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 - worth getting?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/06/08 at 16:32
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Ive been waiting a while to see what comes out on it and only now is it starting to catch my interest, games id buy would be stuff like Drakes Fortune, and Lego Indy, and probably the new Civ game, but is this enough to justify a rather expensive console?
Fri 06/06/08 at 14:45
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Luetchyboy wrote:
> the Playstation. Got Call of Duty, Got GTA.
> I already have the wireless adapter for my XBOX, I have a live
> account. I use my XBOX as a media centre too. I don't currently
> have HD facilities in my house, so Blu-ray makes sod all
> difference at this point in time.
>
> I need just that little gentle push and I'd be sold but as it
> stands I'm just sort of tinkering on the edge.

It seems like you've got the immense 360 setup right there. If you've not hi-def kit to hook the PS3 up to it would probably be a bit of a waste right now. PS3 media, wireless, PSN - you've got the equivalents already.

'Home', perhaps?
Fri 06/06/08 at 13:51
Regular
Hmm now this is a toughie. You see the only game I want to get is Metal Gear Solid. Nothing else at the moment stands out for me on the Playstation. Got Call of Duty, Got GTA.

Are there any other aspects to the PS3 that really sell it? What killer games are there that distinguish it from the competition.

I already have the wireless adapter for my XBOX, I have a live account. I use my XBOX as a media centre too. I don't currently have HD facilities in my house, so Blu-ray makes sod all difference at this point in time.

I need just that little gentle push and I'd be sold but as it stands I'm just sort of tinkering on the edge.
Fri 06/06/08 at 12:36
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Good point you made there McLong on the quietness of the system. Noisy consoles irritate the hell out of me and was one of the reasons I stopped using my PS2, my cat thought it was purring and went to sleep on it!

Is the PS3 much quieter?

I dont get to play games that often what with work, so I dont need a huge range of games out right now that Id buy, but of course would need something that appeals in the future every few months.

What kind of peripherals are a necessity for PS3 as well?
Fri 06/06/08 at 11:33
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Hmm.. thinking of picking up a PS3 at the end of the month. Looking forward to:

Drake's Fortune
Ratchet and Clank
Everyday Shooter
Echochrome
FFXIII, when it comes

Anything else anyone thinks I should be on the the look out for?
Fri 06/06/08 at 11:11
Regular
PS3 gets my vote for a few reasons:

It has a wireless adapater built-in.
The online play is free (although not as good as xbox live).
You can change the harddrive without voiding the warranty.
Blu-ray hi-def drive.
Any bluetooth headset will work.
Pretty quiet, so fairly decent as a music/video player too.
Only £30 (ish) more than the 360 elite.

Edit: But whether it's worth buying just yet? Not too sure. Depends how many games are available on the PS3 at the moment that you think you'll play. The 360 has a much better range of games, but it will only get better for PS3.
Fri 06/06/08 at 09:35
Regular
"Hello?"
To be honest they've both got great games, I prefer the PS3 as I've always had playstations so am use to the controller etc. The plus side of the PS3 is if you play games online the PSN won't charge you but playing on Xbox live costs money. The PS3 is a great piece of kit, blue ray player, games console music and video player. Great if you want to transfer video files from your pc to watch on a normal tv screen with the use of a due mem stick. (if you've got a psp then you should already have a memory stick).
The PS3 is more expensive to buy but in the long run the games are usually the same price for new releases. My opinion go for the PS3.
Fri 06/06/08 at 08:17
Regular
"THFC"
I dont want to cause a console war but i prefer Playstation - at the moment the 360 has more games and is cheaper.

But the playstation is just a prefered brand and the console as a whole - in the long run i think it will be the better console.

If i had enough money i would have both because there are games on each i want!

Really you need to play on each and see what you like, think about what genre of games you like etc etc

It is all about your opinion in the end!
Fri 06/06/08 at 07:24
Regular
"I like turtles"
Very_Metal wrote:
> i`m sticking with "no" for the foreseeable future.
>
> too pricey, you can`t get the bigger drive version anymore, no
> backwards compatability anymore, no reall killer games for it.
>
> granted the online side is free, but i`d still go with a 360.

Another vote for the 360 here but the PS3 is not in anyway a bad console.The 360 is cheaper,has tonnes of great games many of which are available very cheaply.Most of the cheap import sites will sell 360 games to UK customers but not Sony products (after they nailed the coffin lid down on Lik-Sang).A couple of my mates bought PS3'S,one sold his the other rarely uses it.Things may change in the future as more games become available for it.At that point I may consider one myself.For me though I just can't wait for Gears Of War 2.
Thu 05/06/08 at 20:18
Regular
"you've got a beard"
i`m sticking with "no" for the foreseeable future.

too pricey, you can`t get the bigger drive version anymore, no backwards compatability anymore, no reall killer games for it.

granted the online side is free, but i`d still go with a 360.
Thu 05/06/08 at 16:32
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Ive been waiting a while to see what comes out on it and only now is it starting to catch my interest, games id buy would be stuff like Drakes Fortune, and Lego Indy, and probably the new Civ game, but is this enough to justify a rather expensive console?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.