GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 - worth getting?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/06/08 at 16:32
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Ive been waiting a while to see what comes out on it and only now is it starting to catch my interest, games id buy would be stuff like Drakes Fortune, and Lego Indy, and probably the new Civ game, but is this enough to justify a rather expensive console?
Sat 07/06/08 at 07:57
Regular
"Monochromatic"
They're not that difficult to get hold of. Sony has been talking about reintroducing backwards compatibility to the new machines recently anyway. Personally i'd wait, there arent that many reasons to buy a PS3 yet.
Fri 06/06/08 at 21:24
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Are the older backwards compatible PS3's hard to get a hold of? Id love to get one so I could ditch my PS2 as I still play LMA 2003 (dont even ask what year it is now in the game!) and Age of Empires among others on it.
Fri 06/06/08 at 17:05
Regular
pb wrote:
> Actually, Blu Ray is still better quality on SD than standard
> DVD, not by much, though.
>
> The fact that you can change the HD for any standard laptop Hard
> Drive is great, loads of storage space without having to resort
> to external drives.
>
> Singstar is even better than the PS2 version, with the online
> store getting loads of classic tunes and videos from users that
> make you laugh out loud (think Youtube crossed with Singstar).
> Drake's Fortune and even Motorstorm, a launch title that has
> since had a whole load of new tracks and vehicles. Warhawk is a
> great online multiplayer game too.
>
> Buzz coming out soon, you could argue that it was a more stable
> machine too, but I've got no problem with my 360 so far.
>
> PS3 is also compatible with any Bluetooth headset, controllers
> charge from the console as standard, wireless as standard, really
> easy to set up to stream media and even copy it to the PS3
> internal HD. Home, LBP and Wipeout HD will eventually hit the
> PSN, it already has some good little games. Can use the US,
> Australian and Asian PSN stores to get demos and videos (loads of
> music videos on the Aussie site).
>
> Can download demos and full games from PS3 to PSP and watch PS3
> videos on your PSP, even contacting the PS3 from somewhere else
> in the world to check the store or watch videos via the PSP.
>
> So, yeah, it's a good console. It just doesn't have the games
> line-up that the 360 has, which is it's biggest problem.

I remember what really pushed me towards the XBOX was Dead Rising, Gears of War and Crackdown. (I absolutely loved Dead Rising). Admittantly when I was younger I used to be more interested in supporting Sony just because. But now I'm far more interested in quality of games than brand name.

Having a replacable hard drive isn't a biggie for me, I've not yet used my XBOX hard drive so I don't see that changing.

Singstar isn't my genre, played it once when a group of friends had a house gathering.

I too have had very little problems with my XBOX so far, but it is always a fear. I didn't like paying £50 to connect wirelessly. Plus the XBOX sounds like a small aircraft when it is running games. XBOX live is a bit silly paying for what is essentially a glorified messenger service, but it runs so well and I really cannot complain about it. (Except I cannot have private voice chat rooms with more than one person!!!! Seriously that sucks)

Don't have a bluetooth set so not really an advantage. Don't have HD tv so no advantage there either.

So what it comes down to is games games games. Resistance is alright but it's no killer app. GTA and COD are on both set-ups. (But would definitely be killer apps if they weren't) Haze i've heard is alright but not selling the console to me. Final Fantasy is awesome but hasn't blown me away since the playstation (X was awesome but still something wasn't quite right).

So what this boils down to is Metal Gear Solid 4. Now the following monday after it is released I have an exam, and I have this horrible feeling that on the way home I may just be stopping off to purchase myself a console and the above said game. (Quick question are the dual shock controllers out yet?)
Fri 06/06/08 at 16:54
"possibly impossible"
Companies don't bother me. They're all after money.
Fri 06/06/08 at 16:33
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Emmie87 wrote:
> So what do you play? PC? Wii?

Pretty much none anymore. I've just started using my PS2 again for FF XII but otherwise its rare i play anything.
Fri 06/06/08 at 16:23
Regular
"THFC"
Nin wrote:
> The only game that would get me to buy a PS3 now is a FF VII
> remake. Otherwise there's nothing that interests me. GTA had my
> interest for a little while but i've seen it all before. Maybe
> i'll consider it when the price of the console and HD TV's come
> down.
> As for the 360, you could give me one and i'd sell it.

So what do you play? PC? Wii?

There is no denying that the games on both consoles are good.
The likes of Halo 3, Drakes, Haze, COD4
all amazing games and i think both consoles are fantastic pieces of equipment, and it boils down to personal preferance on genre of games, styles and even companies. I personally prefer sony
Fri 06/06/08 at 16:07
"possibly impossible"
Actually, Blu Ray is still better quality on SD than standard DVD, not by much, though.

The fact that you can change the HD for any standard laptop Hard Drive is great, loads of storage space without having to resort to external drives.

Singstar is even better than the PS2 version, with the online store getting loads of classic tunes and videos from users that make you laugh out loud (think Youtube crossed with Singstar). Drake's Fortune and even Motorstorm, a launch title that has since had a whole load of new tracks and vehicles. Warhawk is a great online multiplayer game too.

Buzz coming out soon, you could argue that it was a more stable machine too, but I've got no problem with my 360 so far.

PS3 is also compatible with any Bluetooth headset, controllers charge from the console as standard, wireless as standard, really easy to set up to stream media and even copy it to the PS3 internal HD. Home, LBP and Wipeout HD will eventually hit the PSN, it already has some good little games. Can use the US, Australian and Asian PSN stores to get demos and videos (loads of music videos on the Aussie site).

Can download demos and full games from PS3 to PSP and watch PS3 videos on your PSP, even contacting the PS3 from somewhere else in the world to check the store or watch videos via the PSP.

So, yeah, it's a good console. It just doesn't have the games line-up that the 360 has, which is it's biggest problem.
Fri 06/06/08 at 15:23
Regular
"Monochromatic"
The only game that would get me to buy a PS3 now is a FF VII remake. Otherwise there's nothing that interests me. GTA had my interest for a little while but i've seen it all before. Maybe i'll consider it when the price of the console and HD TV's come down.
As for the 360, you could give me one and i'd sell it.
Fri 06/06/08 at 15:09
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Luetchyboy wrote:
> It this the only reason why I would get a PS3 at
> the moment. Don't care for this "home" thing looks
> nothing more than a glorfied online sims at the moment.

That's basically 'nail-on-head' writing there.

> There must be some games I'm sleeping on that are really worth
> getting.

That's what I thought, up until about a month ago.

I think that MGS4 sounds like it might be enough to sway you though :D Give it time!
Fri 06/06/08 at 14:57
Regular
Ahh but Metal Gear Solid 4 :( I love the metal gear solid series. It this the only reason why I would get a PS3 at the moment. Don't care for this "home" thing looks nothing more than a glorfied online sims at the moment.

Come on guys what games are really worth getting that are out now on the playstation 3!

There must be some games I'm sleeping on that are really worth getting.

I've played resistance it didn't blow me away.

P.S. Has anyone seen much about Left for Dead on XBOX looks like it could be a really good game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.