GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cooling off"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/08/02 at 18:50
Regular
I'm fed up with the really noisy fans in my PC - they're driving me insane. I've had a look at a Water Cooling Kit available from Maplins, with the following equipment:

2 x Waterblocks
1 x thermal paste
9ft of ¼" silicon tubing
1 x Fill jug
4 x Different Mounting Clips
1 x Slot 1/A adaptor
3 x Slot and Socket hold down devices
1 x P4 device
1 x 12v Pump/Res
1 x Box full of hose clamps/screws.

I have no idea what this means for the welfare of my PC once installed, but I need to know, for those who've used or know more about water cooling, if the water tank/reservoir required is relatively small (ie. fits into a small room), and where the coolers will be installed ie. on the CPU, GPU, but is there a need for anywhere else?

I'm asking this as the two additional fans I have on the case produce the loudest noise, and I want to get rid of these as well.

Finally, a thing about Peltier devices - I've heard about it can channel heat so that it's very hot on one side, and cool on the other - where does this heat go without boiling the PC - would a water cooler be a good thing to use next to the Peltier device?

I hope someone can help.
Wed 28/08/02 at 08:47
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Spray painting...
Just got my first mods through the door this morning :)
PC BADGES!!!!

*dances*
Wed 28/08/02 at 01:34
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Heh. The front of my DVD drive won't come off, or at least, it's being very difficult about it. This means I can't spray it. I'm not impressed.
Tue 27/08/02 at 21:57
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
meh, just installed my DVD drive, looks so very nice.
IBM drive works well too, put it this PC as it's a bit messed up at this moment in time, no loud noises just yet.

*sits and waits*
Tue 27/08/02 at 21:56
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I have a choice of 4 CD drives around the house. Rar :)
Tue 27/08/02 at 21:16
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I love PC mods, they look so very geeky, i'm gonna buy/make, whatever a perspex side panel for mine, bloomin port holes, silly things.

Mods in there that I like:

Speaker in the front of case :D - crazy dood
Completly See-Through case (lovely)

I want to put a CD drive into my Monitor too, think thats a good idea as my PCs always under a table and that means having to move *screams*
maybe put a webcam into the monitor too but thats already been done quite a bit.

*imaging putting a flat screen monitor into a normal case and put his PC in the back of the monitor*

*slaps himself*
Tue 27/08/02 at 18:18
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
No...

http://www.multiplay.co.uk/covmenu.asp

i12.
Tue 27/08/02 at 17:48
i12? That's a room in the IT block, right?
Tue 27/08/02 at 17:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
DeltaJava wrote:
> By the way, does the title "Acoustic Damping Material"
> appeal to you?
>
> http://www.quietpc.com/powersnooze.php
>
> What do you think? Will it really "dampen" the noise, or
> just burn up everything inside after smelling of plastic?

Nah, I've thought about this alot, I'm told it doesn't work at all. There was also some guy at i12 who had it, he said it was a total waste of money. Plus, it increases temperatures.
Tue 27/08/02 at 17:21
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Better that letting people live with false information.
Tue 27/08/02 at 17:00
Regular
""
DeltaJava wrote:
> Geez, can you two stop arguing for a minute?

Isn't it rather annoying. TN has to disagree with everything.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.