GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playstation2VsGamecube[aka the dolphin]"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/11/00 at 18:52
Regular
At first i couldn't decide which one to get what with sonys previous success but i am a loyal nintendoid so this should be tricky.
Firstly which has better graphics, hah are you kidding the gamecubes are almost like real life and totally brilliant whereas a dreamcast could probably handle the ps2's then theres multiplayer,ps2 hmmm 2 controllers and sonys imagination i think ill opt for the gcs 4 player+internet ability. Then i wondered about the games, most people may dissagree but i think that sony make terrible games with the exception of ff7 [ff8 was naff though]
whilst Nintendo are imaginative and produce the most original games ever. So Gamecube it is then, oh also what kind of name is playstation 2 anyway and soon there will probably be a tomb raider 25 where laras an old granny. Well Cya!
Tue 21/11/00 at 16:05
Regular
I hate the Pokemon franchaise, hate the cartoon, hate the cards, but the game is actually nice fun.

It is a simple RPG, but it is rather big, and it has gentle fun, which means its not too taxing, but it makes you happy to play it.
Tue 21/11/00 at 12:23
Regular
I never called the PS2 a fan heater or radiator! I'm not shallow but seeing messages like "if you want to wait for Pokemon s***e" or "Those little kid's Pokemon games/ toys" I can see tha some people are that shallow.
It's oh so clear that they haven't even played these games properly!
Mon 20/11/00 at 20:38
PuLsEd OuT wrote:
> u really think little kids are still gonna like pokeamon in 1 and
> a half years, i dont think so! there be as popular as them damn
> yoyo's are now, and the reason gameboys sell so many is that it's
> the oly decent handheld, cheaper then a console and easy to make

Exactly !
Imagine this: you have a PS2 and a CHEAP million selling handheld that can be connected to your PS2 to play your games on the road, beach, train, whatever and take the adventures back and forth between a portable system and in full 3D at home.
Would any other TV console without this feature would have any chance?
No way.
OK.
Problem is Nintendo has it all: the franchising of numourous characters to market these mass products, 32 bit portability, and a Cube with a handle...
Make no mistake, when Bill said he would attack the leading position of Sony in the games industry, he simply forgot the 2.5 million game boys sold each month.
He'll pay for it dearly with his PC in a box which will be aging weeks after launching time (unless you upgrade every 3 months :))
Mon 20/11/00 at 07:50
u really think little kids are still gonna like pokeamon in 1 and a half years, i dont think so! there be as popular as them damn yoyo's are now, and the reason gameboys sell so many is that it's the oly decent handheld, cheaper then a console and easy to make
Mon 20/11/00 at 07:43
Dan_uk wrote:
> Rincewind and chriscg123, I know that they both have come up with
> pointless arguements ("like PS2 is crap" statements) but
> some of you prove to be just as stupid by calling the GC and duplo
> brick!
>
>
>
> SHAME ON YOU!
hehehe original, u call the PS2 a radiator or Fan. duplo, heh original
Sun 19/11/00 at 22:39
Problem is GBA will determine the faith of the 128 bit consoles. The easy connection between GBA and Cube will give the world a new kind of video games.
Think about it: Pokemon sold dozens of millions of old technology game boys. The moment you can convince the public they can continue their adventures on full hi res 3D colour, you create a bomb in video game format.
That's what Nintendo is preparing and you bet it will tackle the markets with these game franchising between two perfectly connected systems. One for the road and the beach, the other to play at home.
And even a lead of a few million systems is nothing compared to roughly 25 million new game boys a year.
Even Microsoft is now considering to enter the portable market. With Windows ME, a good joke !
Fri 17/11/00 at 13:26
<
The only thing that slagging off another consle proves, is that you are insecure with your choice, and are trying to convince yourself that you made the right choice.>>

I couldn't agree more with this, it seems that most people feel the need to defend an inanimate object that they just spent £200-£300 on so they dont feel like they wasted their money. Its a shame they have to take it so personally when someone says 'product y is garbage' (I refrained from using product X for obvious reasons ;) ).
Fri 17/11/00 at 13:19
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
hey rincewind by the time your gamecube will come out (1st quarter 2002 uk)ps2 will have a massive libary of diverse software and all sorts of peripherals. it will also have shifted an estimated 10 million units worlwide.
if you want to wait almost 1.5 years to play the next load of mario or pokemon s***e be my guest. once again nintendo to little to late.
Fri 17/11/00 at 11:41
> Actually the biggest selling console the world has known is the
> gameboy not the playstation. Good point though, guess thats the
> reason the next one will be called GameBoy Advance. (Don't tell
> me, we dont include handhelds when we compare console sales, LOL)

Well, I wasn't including handhelds, but you have a valid point! :-) Let's say PS is the best-selling full-size console, then!

Your point about the GameBoy Advance name is also a good one which I hadn't thought of.

Yes, it could be said that PlayStation 2 isn't a very original name, and neither is GameBoy Advance. It could also be said that PS2 looks like a fan heater, GameCube looks like Duplo or a Fisher Price toy, Dreamcast looks like someone stuck a footpump in a PlayStation and that its logo looks like a three-year-old's drawing.

But it's all completely irrelevant, as the only thing that really counts is the games. I've said it before, and I'll say it again and again until I'm blue in the face - just for all the kiddy-minds out there:

If you're happy with the console you bought, that is *all* that matters; whether the 'competition' is utter crap or the best thing since sliced bread, be happy with your choice.

The only thing that slagging off another consle proves, is that you are insecure with your choice, and are trying to convince yourself that you made the right choice.
Fri 17/11/00 at 11:38
Hehe, the intellivision was cool, it had one of my all time fav. games on it called micro-surgeon (sort of a fantastic voyage type of affair), and possibly the wierdest controllers from what I can remember.

PS: you can pick up a decent multi-region dvd-player for under £200 if you know where to look ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.