GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony are the only company that deliver affordable gaming."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/07/02 at 11:00
Regular
Hats off to Sony unlike MS and Ninty they are there to make gaming affordable unlike the others who are only interested in profit.

Sony scored a big hit with the PS1 and platinum games, which were affordable quality games that had to sell a certain amount to turn platinum, while N64 was still trying to sell cartridges for £64.99 Sony's platinum range came in at £19.99 and proved a big hit.

I am glad to see they are carryiing on the tradition with there PS2 platinum range. I mean lets face it GT3 is a far superior game to Project Gotham and yet it is have the price. They say you have to pay for quality but on this evidence you don't.
Page:
Mon 29/07/02 at 21:32
Regular
½pint wrote:
> The fact still remains that, while it is 'convenient' having a PS2 as
> a DVD player, only little boys are likely to use it. I mean, do you
> really buy DVDs to watch on your PS2, which neither letterbox's the
> screen for widescreen DVDs (which are pretty much standard), nor is it
> by default compatible with widescreen. When I buy DVDs, I go to the
> living room and use our DVD player in there, with a proper remote,
> proper DVD functions which doesn't feel as though it's an add on.
>
> Plus, the Xbox DVD system has got a much more user friendly remote and
> toolbar. Look at the PS2's. It absolutely sucks.

No, this is not right...
PS2 is fully Widescreen compliant. I have a PS2, and a DVD player, with a Widescreen tv. The PS2 setup screen needs setting to Wide mode if u have a widescreen tv. Or select 4:3 if you have a normal tv. This is not difficult and i have a similar function on my normal dvd player anyway. This tells the PS2 or DVD player what shape tv you have connected it to. When looking at a Widescreen film or game, you must set the tv to Wide 16:9 mode. Also note that with all the Widescreen games i have seen, there is a software switch in the games options. Now Auto switching in which your tv is automatically put into 16:9 Wide mode is also possible with some DVD's. But i have seen some that don't have the trigger signal, so i have to change the tv setting manually. Widescreen movie discs without the auto trigger behave in the same way on my normal dvd player as well. The only thing, which might cause a problem, is the optional RF Aerial link. I think you can only get Widescreen via a SCART cable or the SCART adaptor which ships with the PS2. I don't have the RF Aerial adaptor, so i can't compare.
Mon 29/07/02 at 19:36
Regular
"¬_¬"
The fact still remains that, while it is 'convenient' having a PS2 as a DVD player, only little boys are likely to use it. I mean, do you really buy DVDs to watch on your PS2, which neither letterbox's the screen for widescreen DVDs (which are pretty much standard), nor is it by default compatible with widescreen. When I buy DVDs, I go to the living room and use our DVD player in there, with a proper remote, proper DVD functions which doesn't feel as though it's an add on.

Plus, the Xbox DVD system has got a much more user friendly remote and toolbar. Look at the PS2's. It absolutely sucks.
Mon 29/07/02 at 19:27
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Grow up kiddy winks, let's leave this crap topic to the 2 annoying
> fanboys.
>
> From now on NOBODY post in here, whatever the 2 children say, however
> much it annoys you, just ignore it and let this crap drop to the
> bottom.

No-one seems to have understood what the master Tilty said so I'll help him out here....

"SHUTUP ABOUT IT!!!"

Oh yeah ... and Sony rule!

:D
Mon 29/07/02 at 19:21
Regular
Great post SolidSnakeXXI. Just a few tiny points (well not bad considering everything you said)...

DVD movie quality in terms of picture is virtually identical to my mid range Pioneer DVD player. In terms of use, the PS2 does work on the game controller, but the convenient remote does cost more - whereas my DVD player has one as standard of course. I would say the PS2 is a bit noisier compared with my DVD player.

Yes Sony are tight with the number of controller ports! You need to pay extra for a PS2 Multi-tap thing to bring it up to GC level. But, you can put 2 PS2 Multi-taps on both controller ports providing 8 game controller ports total. I don’t think Nintendo make a GC "multi-tap", so the maximum is 4 controller ports - but I may well be wrong on this detail. In any case, it's not very often you see an 8 player game on any machine, so it's no biggy.
Mon 29/07/02 at 19:09
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Maybe people should follow Twirly's advice and stop posting in this topic. All you're doing by trying to say that "one console is better than another" is look like an idiot. People in these forums actually have brains, and realise that all three consoles are great- it's one of the best times for gaming in years. Any intelligent gamer would be wanting all three consoles.

Oh, and one console always has highers sales than another. If you think that makes it better then you really ought to get your head out of the sand.
Mon 29/07/02 at 18:53
Regular
Techno freak wrote:
> Just posting this to see if you Ninty fanboys have had enough yet
> obviously judging by the amount of posts in the last 3hours you have.
> TechnoFreak and Dave RJR win PS2 rules in every department.

A fanboy is someone who thinks the sun shines out of a single particular console.

There are only two members in this topic I've seen that are fanboys.

You and Dave RJR.
Mon 29/07/02 at 18:25
Regular
Please don’t be put off by the length, because I’m going to try and end this, once and for all. I own a GameCube and a Playstation 2 and I see both of them as very worthwhile investments. My family also owns a hardware shop, so I know what I’m talking about. Looking at the FACTS, I have come up with the following points:

- A new GameCube costs £129.99 whereas a new PS2 costs £199.99, £70.00 extra. This, probably, is due to it’s DVD and CD capabilities. However, the PS2’s DVD and CD player is less than bad, and you could pick something up that would do exactly the same job for around £50.00 landing the GameCube at £20.00 cheaper. This is still an unfair comparison though, as when the PS2 was released it was £299.99 and the GameCube was £129.99 at the time it came out. At the release of the PS2 a DVD and CD player that would match what the console could do was about £100.00. You were, therefore, paying £199.99 for the actual console. So now, looking at the facts, the GameCube is £70.00 cheaper than the PS2.
- Right then, onto the games. GameCube games, on average, retail at around £34.99 new and don’t get much more expensive than £40.00. PS2 games, however, retail at around £39.99 new and don’t get much more expensive than £45.00. If you want proof of this, just browse through the prices on Special Reserve or, if you need a second opinion, try amazon.co.uk. This is about a £5.00 difference – not much, but it proves that Nintendo are the cheaper company and have the cheapest games selling for their console.
- Now, the second games part. Playstation have a ‘Platinum’ range that consist of games that have sold particularly well and are reduced to around £20.00 so they can go on to sell more copies. A great cost-effective idea, and I’m not badmouthing it at all. Nintendo were the first to come up with it (the ‘Player’s Choice Range’ on the SNES) but it doesn’t really matter whether or not it was an original idea, it’s good for the fans, full stop. You cannot, though, compare a PS2 ‘Platinum’ game to a GameCube new game, it’s completely unfair. The ‘Platinum’ games have only recently come into play, possibly to compete with the two rival consoles, and I bet that Nintendo will have a ‘Player’s Choice’ range out for the GameCube around the same time/before Sony had the ‘Platinum’ range.
- Accessories and peripherals then. The GameCube has four controller ports whereas the PS2 has 2. Now, you can’t say Sony deliver affordable gaming when they make customers fork out an extra £30.00 or so for a ‘Multitap’ when they could just have easily held production or altered the design to include four controller ports like Nintendo. In terms of memory cards, I can’t argue, as Nintendo sell theirs for £14.99 whereas Sony sell theirs for £24.99. And as Nintendo’s memory card is half the size of Sony’s, it should be around £12.50 for fair pricing. Sony win on this one. Sony also win on the controller front, as their controller is £5.00 less than Nintendo’s (Sony Official Controller = £19.99 and Nintendo Official Controller = £24.99) so Sony win fairly on that one. I cannot remember how much Sony’s peripherals were at the time of the PS2’s release, but I’m sure Nintendo’s will go down in price soon.
- Gaming in general then. Sony can afford to do deals and bundles as they’ve had two years of profit, so they can easily tell some shops to do 2 for 1 deals, etc and Nintendo will soon follow them. Also, of course there’ll be more second hand PS2 games (though what this says about the games, I’m not sure) and I’m positive they’ll also be more GameCube second hand games so you needn’t worry. Due to the difference in time these consoles have been out, I think this is an unfair comparison.

In conclusion ALL companies are interested in profit and ALL will make a profit. If you want the cheapest stuff, Nintendo wins hands down, but it doesn’t mean they’re the greatest console. X-Box has the most power, PS2 has the wider range of games, and GameCube is backed by the best Games Company in the world, aswell as Rare. Give the GameCube and X-Box time and they too will prove themselves. In the fast moving console world of today, I would prefer to own all three consoles and, regardless of which I preferred, I would enjoy all of them.

Those are the FACTS. Now, I’ve been reasonable and though I do prefer the GameCube as a console, I haven’t let it sway what I have written. This is the rock solid truth, and if you fail to see that, or post in another immature way, you are truly the idiots you have made yourself out to be. Redeem yourselves, as this will hopefully be my last post in this topic.

SolidSnakeXXI
Mon 29/07/02 at 16:44
Regular
Just posting this to see if you Ninty fanboys have had enough yet obviously judging by the amount of posts in the last 3hours you have. TechnoFreak and Dave RJR win PS2 rules in every department.
Mon 29/07/02 at 14:47
Regular
O look, they have all gone away and started a new topic.
Mon 29/07/02 at 14:15
Regular
You Ninty and MS fanboys can't win this argument the facts are there so just give up.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.