GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"xBox and GC fight to survive"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/07/02 at 08:27
Regular
With the PS2 so dominant, and still shifting in big numbers, have the XBox & GC lost all chance of catching PS2. The fight for xBox and GC is now about survival. Can they survive with the number of units they are shifting? Most people have already bought a PS2. The remainder have 3 machines to choose from, but the number of games for PS2 looks to be the most important issue.
Tue 23/07/02 at 14:23
Regular
Techno freak wrote:
blah blah blah

Techno you really have no idea what you're talking about do you?

So stop talking out of uranus.
Tue 23/07/02 at 14:22
Regular
Well i wouldn't go as far as giving away both hardware and software! Let the hardware go for a reduced amount, then providing there is software out there for it, you can make up the difference from shifting software. This way, the machine is more attractive (price), and most people will get a number of games for it.
Tue 23/07/02 at 14:21
Mr. Happy wrote:
> Right this is the last thing I'm saying in this thread because I'm
> being misinterpretted left, right and centre.

Sorry if I misinterpreted you. I think I agree with you not posting here no more. It's been turned into a damn dirty console war. Argh, how do we all get caught up in this mess?
Tue 23/07/02 at 14:17
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Mr. Happy wrote:
> As IB and others have said, no-one cares too much about how much
> plastic you shift, a console's success is judged on profits alone.
> Nintendo deliver profits. And that's it.
>
>
> First time I've heard that. So everyone the world over has it wrong,
> and Sony aren't actually the market leader? Hmm.
>
> Nintendo make massive profit, yes - but most of that over recent years
> is down to their handheld machines, which are a different market.

I agree!!! without the GB and GBA I feel sure Nintendo would have pulled out of the hardware market like Sega have.

Also where is the profit in N64 packages going for £19.99 at EB shops.

Still the N64 games are still the same price a cd and dvd games today so there is some money to be made, sorry that is the way Nintendo made all there money buy ripping the public off with £64.99 software.
Tue 23/07/02 at 14:16
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Right this is the last thing I'm saying in this thread because I'm being misinterpretted left, right and centre. I wrote the post to which you refer to show that selling more doesn't mean more profits. As you say it's common sense that giving something away doesn't mean more profits. And that's my whole point.

No-one should care how many units a console shifts, because unless they're making a profit from it, it doesn't much matter. So don't judge a console on sales figures, judge it on whether it makes a profit.
Tue 23/07/02 at 14:16
Regular
"everyone says it"
Companies want money don't they? Profit and money.

Which company makes the most in the industry we talk about on here?

Answer : Nintendo.

Which company has really badly messed up, and is set to not make any profit in the gaming industry with its current spendings till about 2007?

Answer : Microsoft
Tue 23/07/02 at 14:12
Mr. Happy wrote:
> Okay, just one more thing to disprove your theory.
>
> Suppose I buy out Nintendo and cut the price of the Gamecube to
> nothing. £0. A free console and free games. Theoretically I
> would sell every single unit I had and every single game. But would I
> make more profits? Nope.

Well duh. To make a profit, you need to make money back on the cost of creating the products. Giving stuff away won't make any profit. That's just common sense.
Tue 23/07/02 at 14:12
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> First time I've heard that. So everyone the world over has it wrong,
> and Sony aren't actually the market leader? Hmm.

I didn't say Nintendo were the market leader, the opening quote was just there because he'd got things muddled up.

All I'm saying is that so long as Nintendo makes a profit it will keep going in the console market.
Tue 23/07/02 at 14:09
"High polygon count"
Mr. Happy wrote:
> As IB and others have said, no-one cares too much about how much
> plastic you shift, a console's success is judged on profits alone.
> Nintendo deliver profits. And that's it.

First time I've heard that. So everyone the world over has it wrong, and Sony aren't actually the market leader? Hmm.

Nintendo make massive profit, yes - but most of that over recent years is down to their handheld machines, which are a different market.
Tue 23/07/02 at 14:09
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Dave RJR wrote:
> But more units sold = more profit

Okay, just one more thing to disprove your theory.

Suppose I buy out Nintendo and cut the price of the Gamecube to nothing. £0. A free console and free games. Theoretically I would sell every single unit I had and every single game. But would I make more profits? Nope.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.