GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"xBox and GC fight to survive"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/07/02 at 08:27
Regular
With the PS2 so dominant, and still shifting in big numbers, have the XBox & GC lost all chance of catching PS2. The fight for xBox and GC is now about survival. Can they survive with the number of units they are shifting? Most people have already bought a PS2. The remainder have 3 machines to choose from, but the number of games for PS2 looks to be the most important issue.
Tue 23/07/02 at 13:29
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
ShadowDragon wrote:
> I second THAT notion.

Look that's the second time you've said it. You've got the wrong word. It's motion not notion. In debating you present a motion along the lines of "This house would blah blah blah" and then someone might say "I second that motion".

Comprondez :-)
Tue 23/07/02 at 13:25
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
In the last 'console war' Ninty outsold Sony anyway.

The Game Boy sold more units than the Playstation, and adding the N64's units sold gave Nintendo the biggest amount of money from the last console war.

Not because their items were over priced, but because, as a company, they solmore than Sony did.

This is going to happen again in this latest 'console war'.

Ninty have the GBA and the GC, together which will probably outsell PS2 and X-Box, so Nintendo will again be the ones with a smile on their face.

PS1 might've beaten N64, but Sony never beat Nintendo.
Tue 23/07/02 at 13:22
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Dave RJR wrote:
> Wow, if Nintendo made a profit like that much - the hardware +
> software must have been over priced

---

No, Nintendo just know how to make money well.
Tue 23/07/02 at 13:22
Dave RJR wrote:
> Same goes for the Dreamcast. Doesn't matter how good some people thought
> it was - it's now a dead machine (sorry about that DC users).

Actually, I'm considering getting a DreamCast. And I think the reason that it didn't do too well was because it was released too early. Can you think of any other console that did that? That's right, the PS2. However, the PS2 will survive because of high sales. I think the main reason it is still doing so well is the number of titles. However, I think Sony cheated a bit because the PS2 can play PSone titles. If Microsoft and Nintendo release another console, I think they'll also use this tactic.
Tue 23/07/02 at 13:16
Regular
Just cause it sells a lot does not mean it's the best. Are you trying to tell me that if Ricky Martin sold more albums than The Beatles, then that would mean he was the best?
Tue 23/07/02 at 13:14
Regular
If number of units was not important, then Sky tv would not be with us today. With the move to digital, they virtually gave loads of decoder boxes away - just to kick start the user base because they knew that those people would then stick with the service and make use of the software (movies, sport, etc). Same goes for the Dreamcast. Doesn't matter how good some people thought it was - it's now a dead machine (sorry about that DC users).
Tue 23/07/02 at 13:12
Regular
Dave RJR wrote:
> If Simpsons Wrestling was so bad, why did so many people go and buy
> it.

As you said, people nbought it for the name even though it was a pile of crap. You could say the same about PS2...but that would be biased and not nice.
Tue 23/07/02 at 13:11
This is turning into another console war.
Tue 23/07/02 at 13:09
Regular
If Simpsons Wrestling was so bad, why did so many people go and buy it. The Simpsons are still very popular, so a game was always going to shift loads - no matter what it was like!
Tue 23/07/02 at 13:08
Regular
"everyone says it"
Dave RJR wrote:
> Wow, if Nintendo made a profit like that much - the hardware +
> software must have been over priced

Nope. Pokemon and their 'names' make it for them. All companies overprice anyway, thing so, muppets only see how many a console sells - and obviously that must be the best console. True gamers know, Nintendo owns.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.