GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"EXTRA EXTRA GAMEADAY PRIZE (July PC Parts and Peripherals)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/07/02 at 14:52
Regular
And s**g off SR you did.

Okay, sorry for the lenghty delay but it's been a madhouse round here for the last... blimey, that's almost a month. No matter, because we've picked a winner. A lot of you simply suggested we sell stuff cheaper, or 'knock off a tenner to make it look good' which isn't really very productive - what we were looking for was a mixture of suggestions for new products, and how best to promote the ones we have. And the person who did that the best was...

DeltaJava.

Well done matey, you win a Game or DVD of your choice up to the value of £50. He suggested we take a look at our prices of stuff like Encarta and Paintshop Pro, compared to other retailers, and tipped us off about some new products to stock like USB2.0 and more TV cards. Basically, his collection of suggestions was the most complete, and for that, he is rewarded. If you scroll back through the topic, his posts are highlighted in yellow.

Anyway, thanks to the rest of you for all of your posts, we'll take the into consideration. Even the ones about boobs and stuff. You kids. Complaints to the usual address, I'll ignore them like I always do.

S
-x-

--------------------------------------------------

Here's a really good chance to sl*g off SR.

Take a look at our range of PC parts and peripherals. i.e. anything which works in, with or connects to a PC.

What's missing from the range?
Where are we out of date or over-priced?
Which descriptions fail to do justice to the products?

For example you could tell us that our A03 drives are out of date and over priced and that we should be selling the A04. (posted by Bonzo Banana did yesterday)

You do NOT need to post all of your suggestion in one post. ALL of your posts will be added together for the selection process.

Closes Thursday August 1st.

Mr Snuuuuggly will extract the thread and pass it to our PC Buyers who will say 'Oh my God, what clever customers we have'. They (the un-named and un-shamed) will determine the winner.

Winner gets a full GAD prize. Only one winner folks.

(er-thanks in advance guys. And none of those "getting us to do their work" jibes PLEASE!)
Fri 26/07/02 at 10:12
Regular
"¬_¬"
I think a definite must is to allow people to browse various categories of games. Other than using the search engine, all you can do is see all the games of a particular console. I'm sure you can order them by price or whatever, but those arrows at the top are confusing and I have no idea what they do. Definitely you need to be able to browse games easier.
Fri 26/07/02 at 07:34
Regular
After looking through your magazine, I have seen a few things that could be improved.

·Give more choice on scanners. In your magazine, there are only four and for me, if I saw that in a magazine, I would be inclined to go to somewhere like Dixons to get some advice on which is better and then look around the shops.

·Give people more information on the product that you are trying to sell. After looking at the printers and scanners pages in your magazine, you don’t show the potential buyer what the final product is that they might buy. For instance, next to a printer you could put a page that has been printed from that printer and try and make it colourful and so on.

·Once again, show the product. Looking at the pages with all the leads, hard drives, and so on, it shows me hardly anything of what I could be purchasing. You only give three examples when I think that there should be at least ten. For me, if I can’t see the product, I would go to another shop and get advice and maybe a cheaper price.

·I think that some of your PC controllers are a little bit on the expensive side. I mean, £90.99 for one joystick, is very expensive, and I sure a lot of people agree with me. I know it could be worth a lot, but maybe do some kind of deal for that controller and a game for under 100 quid.

·I think that you should do more deals in this department. Like above, if you are going to try and sell a printer you could have something like, buy a printer over £100 and get two free cartages. That’s just an example, I’m sure that you could think of something else.

Hope you like

Liquid
Thu 25/07/02 at 19:52
"MMMMM, Chicken"
Joe King wrote:
> There was a company that emerged during the dotcom boom that offered a
> scheme just like this one. They went bust soon ater commencing
> business due to customer apathy.
>
> Apparantly there were very few consumers that would take the risk of
> being the first to make a bid and the scheme failed.
>
> Sounds a bit like communism.........
>
> genesisofthesith wrote:
> Not really a criticism of the current system, but......

But the difference is SR take preorders of games anyway, and at the very least the consumer will get the product for the pre order price, with the possibility of having it for cheaper. However I would agree that to make this type of a system a success lots of money would be needed for advertising it to the general public.
Thu 25/07/02 at 15:57
We have tried selling Mac games on a number of different occasions but our sales figures showed us that no one wants to buy games for their Mac.

We even tried Linux games - no one wanted these either

er-no wrote:
> Definetely sell more Mac released games! Even if its the Mac version
> of The Sims of something. Loads of buyers out there want these
> games!
>
> Believe me.
Thu 25/07/02 at 15:50
There was a company that emerged during the dotcom boom that offered a scheme just like this one. They went bust soon ater commencing business due to customer apathy.

Apparantly there were very few consumers that would take the risk of being the first to make a bid and the scheme failed.

Sounds a bit like communism.........

genesisofthesith wrote:
> Not really a criticism of the current system, but a suggestion for a
> different one that better takes advantage of ukchatforums.com.
>
> In retail, the retailer gambles by buying products that they think
> will sell and benefits from the profits made in the sale. The profits
> here are counteracted by buying stock that doesnt sell, so why not
> before a product is released start a thread for people who want the
> product, you could give wholesale style prices for people ie. if 100
> people buy the product then it will cost £40, if 200 people buy
> the product then it will cost £35 etc. People can then enter how
> much theyre willing to pay for the product, and if at the end of a set
> time ie.the products release, the price that you can supply it for is
> less than the ammount they're willing to pay then they get the product
> (obviously complexities come in when you have to take into account
> people who want the product but are willing to pay less than you can
> offer it for). The advantage of this system is that not only can the
> customer get products for cheaper, Special Reserve will take less of a
> risk when ordering stock, and would likely benefit from more people
> buying from them, as customers are encoraged to get their friends to
> buy from SR as they will get their products cheaper if enough people
> buy a product. These friends will get their friends to consider and so
> on expanding SR's customer base even further.
>
> I thought of this system earlier in the year when I was considering
> starting a similar system to try and buy a good 28" widescreen
> tv, but didnt want to pay stupid prices, the wholesale system came to
> my attention, but after considering the problem of informing people
> and getting money from those wanting the tvs, to buy the tvs (after
> all would you trust someone?) I came to the conclusion that it would
> be beyond me, but with SR already having an outlet for people to find
> out about the products(their websites), and also being a trusted and
> established retailer Im sure it would be possible for them to be able
> to do it. Think about it, it would bring wholesale prices to the
> masses (and bag SR a profit in the process), it could work.
Wed 24/07/02 at 19:50
"MMMMM, Chicken"
In general the maxx pc's are quite expensive compared to pcs that some of your rivals offer, one leading retailer often sells a particular manufacturers top spec machines for £799.99

Also does the SB live have MP3 Ripping capabilities like the audigy cards? If not then the maxx pcs would benefit from that.

Also as the maxx pc's are designed predominantly for the gamesplayers why not bundle a game with them?
Tue 23/07/02 at 16:50
Regular
A Bigger software collection, to suit all needs such as programmers.
Tue 23/07/02 at 16:15
"MMMMM, Chicken"
Not really a criticism of the current system, but a suggestion for a different one that better takes advantage of ukchatforums.com.

In retail, the retailer gambles by buying products that they think will sell and benefits from the profits made in the sale. The profits here are counteracted by buying stock that doesnt sell, so why not before a product is released start a thread for people who want the product, you could give wholesale style prices for people ie. if 100 people buy the product then it will cost £40, if 200 people buy the product then it will cost £35 etc. People can then enter how much theyre willing to pay for the product, and if at the end of a set time ie.the products release, the price that you can supply it for is less than the ammount they're willing to pay then they get the product (obviously complexities come in when you have to take into account people who want the product but are willing to pay less than you can offer it for). The advantage of this system is that not only can the customer get products for cheaper, Special Reserve will take less of a risk when ordering stock, and would likely benefit from more people buying from them, as customers are encoraged to get their friends to buy from SR as they will get their products cheaper if enough people buy a product. These friends will get their friends to consider and so on expanding SR's customer base even further.

I thought of this system earlier in the year when I was considering starting a similar system to try and buy a good 28" widescreen tv, but didnt want to pay stupid prices, the wholesale system came to my attention, but after considering the problem of informing people and getting money from those wanting the tvs, to buy the tvs (after all would you trust someone?) I came to the conclusion that it would be beyond me, but with SR already having an outlet for people to find out about the products(their websites), and also being a trusted and established retailer Im sure it would be possible for them to be able to do it. Think about it, it would bring wholesale prices to the masses (and bag SR a profit in the process), it could work.
Mon 22/07/02 at 17:09
er-no wrote:
> Sell those artistic pads that you draw onto and then the image is
> presented on the screen, if you sell them at great prices loadsa
> people will be interested in buying them as they are actually quite
> hard to find.
>

Yeah, add me to that list of people that are interested. Drawing pads from Wacom are really good, I hear.

Also, please start selling PDAs (and the new xda from 02), and PDA accessories. And as soon as the new Tablet Pcs come avaialbe (later this year), sell them too! Although I must admit I may not be able to buy one from you (or anyone) until late next year.

For your Maxx PC range - leave out the SDRAM and include DDR RAM - explain to your customers that the memory is usually the bottleneck for data transfer now, and that DDR RAM doubles the rate! THen go on to say that RDRAM is even faster...
Mon 22/07/02 at 17:03
And I mean the USB2 PCI cards, not hubs. Please.

Leave out the CD pressing stuff on the catalogue, as it really doesn't deserve the space there - just mention it and that's it's available on your website. If it sells well though, ignore this bit.

The purple hue that you've included in the games section is good for "outstanding" products - maybe you should do this selectively with the green colour, on special items(eg. the latest graphic cards, cheapest, best value for money,etc.) It has been done a bit in the July issue, but not on all the product types (such as graphic cards,where you highlghted all of them).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.