GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The OFFICIAL V-rally 3 post."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/06/02 at 13:30
Regular
Heres my V-rally 3 post! To start us off i will write info on the game including comparisons to WRC, Pros and Cons. Reply with your views on the game.

V-rally 3 (http://www.v-rally.com/)

Pros +

-Great graphics especially lightning effects.
-Damage that actually effects performance.
-Extensive career mode. Allows you to change teams, create a driver, ect. Each bit is seperated with cut scenes, pre race preperation sequences/new season drivers unvailments ect.
-Competitiors develope skills so the longer you progress the more change you can see in competitors. i.e. rookies improving ect.
-16 rally cars. Eight 1.6 Litre and eight 2.0 litre.
-Offers a good challenge.
-Handling is better than GT3 rally mode. Easing the car around the corner is satisfying.
-6 countries, 5 tracks for each. This is less than WRC but the work gone into making the tracks challenging and prettier is clearly evident.

Cons -

-Steep learning curve.
-Acceleration may seem a bit slow so losing to much speed can lead to frustration.
-Two player is simultanious rather than split screen.
-No actual liscenses drivers (although this can be a good thing so you can feel like your in your own fantasy rally career rather than replicating a real life counterpart).
-Co driver appears to have breathed in helium.

My overall score 9/10

WRC (http://www.evos.net/)

Pros +

-108 stages altogether in 14 different countries.
-All the licenced drivers and cars from the WRC. Except Mr McRae.
-Above average graphics with great draw distance.
-Textured Drivers faces.
-Big cliffs to roll over

Cons -

-Very twitchy handling.
-Tracks in same country dont vary a great deal.
-Damage is not ver evident.
-Weather effects aren't brilliant.
-No decent career mode.
-takes a while to get into it.

My overall score 7/10

So theres the pros and cons. But how do they vary with each other?

Graphics- Winner V-rally 3. The lighting effects...the beautifal lighting effects!

Gameplay- Winner V-rally 3. WRC is just too twitchy. Even if it wasn't it would take alot to beat V-rally 3's.

Sound- Winner WRC. Nice engine effects and decent co-drivers.

Realism- Winner both- Although V-rally has more realistic handling and a better career mode, WRC does bost all the licensing.

Overall- Winner V-rally 3. V-rally 3 is the more solid affair and does include a great career mode, fantastic graphics and better handling. WRC is good with decent licensing and lots of tracks but while V-rally 3 is recieving the winners trophy, WRC is limping sadly over the line.

Thanks for reading and i hope you agree. Please note i am basing this on the time i have had on both the games. (About 5 hours V-rally 3 and about 14 hours WRC)

Now lets start this conversation!
Tue 25/06/02 at 10:41
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
Sounds like a game i should part money with. Since i just completed FFX then this game could fill the gap between now and my birthday.
Is it better than V-rally 2 because i got that and i love it, especially the music track.
Tue 25/06/02 at 10:44
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
Hmmmmmm, extremely tempting!!!

any bad points, i'm not bothered about multiplayer.

Do i need a sterring wheel, is the one you get free by joining SR a good quality feedback wheel?
Tue 25/06/02 at 10:48
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
oasismark wrote:
> Hmmmmmm, extremely tempting!!!
>
> any bad points, i'm not bothered about multiplayer.
>
> Do i need a sterring wheel, is the one you get free by joining SR a
> good quality feedback wheel?

I've got that wheel. I used it once for GT3 and i found no problems with it.
Tue 25/06/02 at 12:34
Regular
"  "
It's definately better than V-rally 2. Its way more realistic and the career mode is very good. I cant beleive how good the graphics are. The sunset snow levels are so beutifal :D. Theres 20 tracks but the weather changes and honestly transforms them. They're all also available in reverse. Also the championships always include the same rallies (1.6 L consist of Finland, French, English and swedish rallies) but the 5 stages are picked at random from the 8 for each rally and the weather is dependant on the year so one seasons always seems diffrent from the next. Also you will find the first stage u race will be in the morning and the last stage at night time, although night stages can only be raced in the 2.0 litre championship so 1.6L drivers race at sunset.

About the wheel. I think it will only work with the GT force one. I couldn't get the Speedster 2 to wrk with it. Only USB wheels will work with it.

Oh and heres my career update.

Season 4

Team Citreon- Saxo

Morale- Crap
Reliabilty- Crap
Performance- Bad
Budget- Crap

Team standing- 3rd
Driver standing- 4th (swedish rally victory :D)

Season 5

Team Ford- Puma

Morale- Bad
Reliabilty- Good
Performance- Great
Budget- Good

Team standing- No rallies done (1st stage on Finland done, Ford are 2nd)
Driver standing- No rallies done (1st stage on Finland done, I am 1st)
Tue 25/06/02 at 18:59
Season 1 - Polo

finished 7th

Season 2 - Puma

currently 1st after Finland rally
Wed 26/06/02 at 23:23
Mr. Chainsaw wrote:
> Season 1 - Polo
>
> finished 7th
>
> Season 2 - Puma
>
> currently 1st after Finland rally

heres an update:

Season 2 - Puma

still 1st after the third rally in England! i feel a winning season coming on.

I also just passed a test that Peugeot 206 1.6l laid down for me. Probably join them next season if Fiat dont e-mail me :)
Wed 26/06/02 at 23:39
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Bought the game today....and i have to say i think its excellent.

Firstly, the graphics are excellent. Maybe not quite up to the likes of GT3, but they are better than most games out there. The cars look nice and solid and as you would expect they have all the damage that could happen in them...its quite fun to see your beat up car stumble into the pit looking like its just been through a mind field! There are some really neat effects in there too, like it being covered in mud on a rainy day - ok this is nothing new, but in this game, especially the dust effects in Africa it looks so much better. The weather effects are superb too, with the lashing down of rain or the thickness of fog it really makes you blind when on the track, and more than ever you have to rely on your mate sat next to you who you have to admit you otherwise ignore.

As for the career mode though, thats truelly brilliant too, better than anything Colin and co came up with. It really makes you feel part of the action, and unlike the ways of other games, you dont get bored of this game as there are goals to beat, and better contracts with bigger brands to be had.

Nothing but praises for this game from me.
Thu 27/06/02 at 01:28
"~do i look funny?~"
Hi, I'm new here but i came here because I'm very intreagued by V-Rally 3. I bought an official UK magasine 2 days ago and they gave it 8/10. Do you think this is appropriate?

smashing lights, steering to the left all the time, lose your brakes and all windows break through. Nothin can get worse right? WRONG! Flippin wheels come off here!

The lighting looks great and so do the cars. Especially the NEW clio sport!
Thu 27/06/02 at 09:07
Regular
"  "
Glad to see you like it Pro...and Mr.Chainsaw i must say your pretty good (I blame my bad luck on the force feedback wheel :D)

I got a contract with Ford beating the second best driver in the championship (who later went on to race for subaru). I joined ford and am currently 6th going into sweden which i have done 3 stages of and are currently second by about 2 seconds.

Which country do you think looks the most impressive? I think the swedish tracks early mornings look so great the way the sun glares off the snow. However i have noticed a little bit of distant pop-up in sweden which is a shame but doesn't really spoil it.
Thu 27/06/02 at 09:07
Regular
"  "
That should say 'I got a trial with ford puma'

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.