GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The OFFICIAL V-rally 3 post."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/06/02 at 13:30
Regular
Heres my V-rally 3 post! To start us off i will write info on the game including comparisons to WRC, Pros and Cons. Reply with your views on the game.

V-rally 3 (http://www.v-rally.com/)

Pros +

-Great graphics especially lightning effects.
-Damage that actually effects performance.
-Extensive career mode. Allows you to change teams, create a driver, ect. Each bit is seperated with cut scenes, pre race preperation sequences/new season drivers unvailments ect.
-Competitiors develope skills so the longer you progress the more change you can see in competitors. i.e. rookies improving ect.
-16 rally cars. Eight 1.6 Litre and eight 2.0 litre.
-Offers a good challenge.
-Handling is better than GT3 rally mode. Easing the car around the corner is satisfying.
-6 countries, 5 tracks for each. This is less than WRC but the work gone into making the tracks challenging and prettier is clearly evident.

Cons -

-Steep learning curve.
-Acceleration may seem a bit slow so losing to much speed can lead to frustration.
-Two player is simultanious rather than split screen.
-No actual liscenses drivers (although this can be a good thing so you can feel like your in your own fantasy rally career rather than replicating a real life counterpart).
-Co driver appears to have breathed in helium.

My overall score 9/10

WRC (http://www.evos.net/)

Pros +

-108 stages altogether in 14 different countries.
-All the licenced drivers and cars from the WRC. Except Mr McRae.
-Above average graphics with great draw distance.
-Textured Drivers faces.
-Big cliffs to roll over

Cons -

-Very twitchy handling.
-Tracks in same country dont vary a great deal.
-Damage is not ver evident.
-Weather effects aren't brilliant.
-No decent career mode.
-takes a while to get into it.

My overall score 7/10

So theres the pros and cons. But how do they vary with each other?

Graphics- Winner V-rally 3. The lighting effects...the beautifal lighting effects!

Gameplay- Winner V-rally 3. WRC is just too twitchy. Even if it wasn't it would take alot to beat V-rally 3's.

Sound- Winner WRC. Nice engine effects and decent co-drivers.

Realism- Winner both- Although V-rally has more realistic handling and a better career mode, WRC does bost all the licensing.

Overall- Winner V-rally 3. V-rally 3 is the more solid affair and does include a great career mode, fantastic graphics and better handling. WRC is good with decent licensing and lots of tracks but while V-rally 3 is recieving the winners trophy, WRC is limping sadly over the line.

Thanks for reading and i hope you agree. Please note i am basing this on the time i have had on both the games. (About 5 hours V-rally 3 and about 14 hours WRC)

Now lets start this conversation!
Thu 20/06/02 at 19:04
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Is V-Rally 3 more of an arcade style racer compared to Colin McRae Rally and World Championship Rally?
Thu 20/06/02 at 23:03
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
WRC is a poor game. I was planning on buying it for ages and I thought that the demo was good, but when I borrowed the full game it was all the same and far too easy! Plus, how can people say it is realistic?!? You can take hairpin corners at full speed without even touching the brakes!

V-Rally 3 looks promising though.
Fri 21/06/02 at 10:14
Regular
"  "
Posh Kid wrote:
> Is V-Rally 3 more of an arcade style racer compared to Colin McRae
> Rally and World Championship Rally?

Its ver much a sim game now. The cars handle how they should not like the weighty v-rally 2 cars. Also damage plays a big part. YOU CAN EVEN DAMAGE BARRIERS!. Hit them to hard and you can go straight through them and your car will be affected on how hard you hit. WRC was more a case of the car gets damaged the more shunts you have regardless of if the enitila crash was a life threatner. Also the tracks are alot more realistic. You wont find like on the old games big jumps over rail way tracks. However the tracks are very challenging. Each one is designed by a single designer. Apparently each designer had their own track to work on.

Thats all for now.
Sat 22/06/02 at 10:34
Regular
"  "
Heres my review.

Colin McRae rally has always been the benchmark for rally games. It has offered great graphics, excellent realistic game play, and a vast amount of challenge. So what has Colin McRae Rally 3 got to offer that’s new? Oh...wait...sorry, wrong game. We’re talking about V rally 3 here. My mistake. But you can hardly blame me for bringing up the daddy of rally games, Colin McRae Rally, somewhere in this review, can you? Well actually you can. It's at this point that I should apologise to Eden Studios and Atari for mentioning its arch rival in this V Rally review. Why? Because V Rally 3 certainly is not to be over looked.

Way back in the early days of the PSOne, V Rally was the first real decent Playstation rally game. It was unbelievably realistic with nice visuals and lots of stages. However many were disappointed by the arcade approach of the game, something it had adopted from SEGA's offering, SEGA Rally. With a better looking sequel on the way in the form of V rally 2, petrol heads were eager to get more of a simulated challenge. Unfortunately Infogrames failed to deliver. It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't the raw simulation some had hoped for. But this time Infogrames have been scrapped, and Atari and Eden Studios have decided to go with the simulation flow, and Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to announce- V Rally 3!

To make this instalment as good as possible Eden Studios have included a brilliant career mode. You start of creating your own rallying superstar choosing how he looks from a lot of different options. Once you have done this you get your own virtual office. Here you receive emails offering jobs at a race team. You then have to try out for a place in the team, and if you’re good then you’re in. Once you have a drive you must work your way up the ladder until you’re eventually the rallying champion. Beautiful cut-scenes map out your progress showing things such as new season photo shoots, trophy presentations and much more to give you that extra feel involvement. You can also view rapidly changing attributes of other competitors and also track information.

Overall there are 6 rallies each with 5 stages. Although this doesn't seem allot, each one is designed specifically by one designer so that each is perfectly challenging and a pleasure to drive around. They are heavily detailed and most trackside structures are destroyable. No longer will orange safety fencing send your car careering back onto the road! No. A big smash could see the barriers bent and buckled and they may even give way sending your pride and joy careering to the depths below. What makes this more spectacular is the excellent damage models. Cars crumple, bits fly off, and poor driving can leave your previously 4-wheel car limping over the line on a single wheel. However, the stunning visuals don’t stop there. Brilliant lighting effects give cars that real shiny feel and also make the snow blinding. Also, thanks to fantastic dirt effects, your car wont stay shiny for long. Mud, snow, gravel and dust all clog up your once beautiful drive. Good bye forgiving rally game, hello V rally 3.

The cars on offer to trash and ruin include 16 licensed cars. These are split into two categories, 1.6 L and 2.0 L. Each offers a wide choice from the Peugeot 206 to the fierce Subaru Impreza. There is one to wet everyone’s petrol hungry appetite. Each one handles fantastically well. The lower class cars do seem a bit slow and sluggish but once you earn a drive in one of the top end beasts you can just see how much work has gone into the handling. Power sliding is very satisfying and there is none of the twitchy controls that plagued WRC. You really do feel like you’re at the helm of one of the real rallying beasts. Superb.

Overall V Rally 3 is a fantastic game that will be very hard to beat. Its got gorgeous visuals, a brilliant career mode, and awesome game play. And that leaves me with one thing left to say. Colin who?
Sat 22/06/02 at 11:14
Regular
I prefer WRC - the controls are fun.

V-Rally has always been for Rally fans. I am not one of them, thus I don't want to play games tailor-made for them.
Sat 22/06/02 at 12:08
"Uzi Lover"
The game looks tasty, was drawn in straight away by the graphics, should play the same.

If I can I'm gonna pick myself up a copy as it may prove more entertaining then Gran Turismo.
Sat 22/06/02 at 15:00
Regular
"A man with a stick"
V-Rally 1 and 2 where great racing games, I hope 3 is just as good. Though now I am considering whether or not I should wait for CM3 and see how that compares to the other games mentioned. That said, I don't think I could go wrong owning both games, they are great at what they do and more importantly bloody fun.
Sun 23/06/02 at 10:13
Regular
"  "
I was really pushed to get the Logitec Dual Force Steering Wheel which is the same as the GT one (but doesn't have gt badge on) and it is so good with the game. You can change how much feedback you want from the game and the higher you have it the more u can feel bumps. Its ace. Also the wheel tightens up on more grippy surfaces like tarmac while it gets looser when there is less grip. The wheels so good. only problem is it's £80 and theres loads of wires. But thats what birthdays are for. Also the Speedster 2 wheel doesn't work as you can only set x as accelerate on the game and the Speedsters pedals imitate the right stick on the controller. And as you cant set accelerate to right stick then the pedals wont work :( Anyway you really must get this game. it's so complete....its got a brilliant manager type thing and it is so ace. Just get it if you are even only having slight thoughts about getting it. :)
Sun 23/06/02 at 10:44
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Still wondering whether to get this game or not. From what i have seen it looks a fine game, its just the last ones never really seemed to last me all that long so i got rid of them after a while.

So next question: Does it keep you interested? How bad/ good is the single player mode and what about multiplayer?

Must say from what i have seen that the graphics look brilliant.
Sun 23/06/02 at 10:54
Regular
"  "
The single player is fantastic. You do seasons join teams ect. Other drivers get better the more experiance they get. If you win alot your team will put more money to financing the car so it is better ect. Morale increases making repair times faster. In other words nothing stays the same. Things change dependant on what happens. its brilliant.

Multiplayer is not split screen but you take it in turns. Not bad though. It's definately the best rally game so far.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.