GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"1-0 but...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/06/02 at 16:42
Regular
It was only due to a penalty.
Whilst I'm happy that strangers representing "my" country in a sports tournament have beaten an opposing team, I wonder what might have happened if that penalty had not been awarded?

Was nice to see someone spewing claret from their nose though.
Make them earn that obscene wage.

And in other news, teachers in New York are protesting at the cutting of almost $2million from the education department budget with the fear that many inner city school will have to close.
Fri 07/06/02 at 19:36
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
DeltaJava wrote:
> Took the man, not the ball.
>
> Although it looks like no contact was made.

Yeah, from one angle (behind Owen) it looks like a definite penalty but from the other it looks like no contact was made.
Fri 07/06/02 at 19:06
"High polygon count"
Your Honour wrote:
> Was a penalty. Ah, I forgot, you're Scottish, so you would think that
> it wasn't.

Heh, and what do the Scots know abuot football?

;-p
Fri 07/06/02 at 19:01
Regular
SHEEPY wrote:
> Wasn't a penalty

Was a penalty. Ah, I forgot, you're Scottish, so you would think that it wasn't.

As for the school funding thing, it's ridiculous. But it seems Bush can do no wrong as long as he says it's as "Anti-terrorist measure." I wonder how long he'll use that excuse for, and how much longer the American people will buy into it?
Fri 07/06/02 at 19:00
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> England's history with penaltied in major tournaments makes it even
> more deserved!

WHAT!? That doesn't make it any more deserved at all! Just because their players crack whenever the pressure is put it on doesn't mean they suddenly 'deserve' to win.

That's like saying Scotland haven't won the World Cup before so they deserve to next time. As much as I'd love to see them win it, it's just not gonna happen and they don't deserve it. The team who plays the best throughout the tournament deserve it and that's not England.

Anyway, as much as it pains me to say it, England played well. But don't get cocky because Argentina sucked today! They couldn't link 3 passes together and although that may have been partially due to England's tight play, it was also due to certain key Argentina players sucking severely. Veron didn't make one pass which actually reached it's destination and his crosses were unbelievable! Just as well he was taken off at half time. As for Ortega, he was a waste of space!

And as Goaty says, the only goal England managed was from a penalty. They may have had plenty of other chances but they couldn't finish them. Okay so Owen was unlucky in hitting the post, but his other good chance he put wide. Scholes' volley that everyone was getting so worked up about was straight at the keeper. Even if he hadn't had raised his hands, it'd still have hit off him and not gone in.

And Batistuta almost gave me a heart attack. I was sure he'd score at least one before the match but he almost got sent off in the first 5 minutes! I thought he was gonna get a second yellow after elbowing Beckham in the face. Well, I now owe a tenner to my mate after betting him that Argentina would win. Thing is, I would have gladly paid him that 10 pounds just to see Argentina slaughter England.

Mills was just as much of a prat as usual. I really hate him. Runs up the line, someone hits the ball over to him from across the pitch. He takes it on his chest, and then clotheslines an Argentinian player as he is running past them. Ref calls for the foul and Mills runs back to position with his arms raised. "What? What?" "You clotheslined that man you tw@t! That's what!"

What would be absolutely fantastic now would be if England lost to Nigeria. I know it's very unlikely but Nigeria can be a really good side at times. They weren't too impressive this morning but still, they may look at the table and say "right, we have no points and we're not leaving with no points!" They go out on the pitch, give it their all and beat England. England go home. Perfect. Well, other than the Argentina victory.

And just think, I had it all planned out. If Argentina beat England, I was gonna buy an Argentina shirt. Sure I'd have found plenty of uses for it. Rub it in each of my friends' faces. Not actually rub the shirt in their faces. Just a figure of speech, you know?

Oh and whoever was asking, it was Gonzalez who's shirt was a crimson mess.....until he changed it.
Fri 07/06/02 at 18:56
Took the man, not the ball.

Although it looks like no contact was made.
Fri 07/06/02 at 18:49
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Wasn't a penalty
Fri 07/06/02 at 18:20
Who cares about education when all you need are "star wars" type missiles and anti terrorist programmes?

That, is what George Bush is thinking.
Fri 07/06/02 at 17:14
"High polygon count"
Goatboy wrote:
> Because I got to sit in the kitchen from 12-2:30 and smoke.
>
> I'd watch Germany Vs Argentina if it meant I avoided work for that
> time.

Aha! Can't say fairer than that!
Fri 07/06/02 at 17:13
Regular
"One More Chance"
Goatboy wrote:

> And England has never missed all the balls in a penalty shoot-out.
> England won thanks to Owen diving and Beckham being mere yards from
> the goal.

Meh, Owen was fouled, no question about a dive.
Fri 07/06/02 at 17:12
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Because I got to sit in the kitchen from 12-2:30 and smoke.

I'd watch Germany Vs Argentina if it meant I avoided work for that time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.