GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ways To Make Freeola Chat Popular:"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 24/08/06 at 13:55
"possibly impossible"
1) Flood the search engines with adverts for 'free £30 Amazon voucher' for any search. Even fish.

2) Send people round the streets with big billboards on them saying 'the end of the world is nigh...but you could win £30 of vouchers with Freeola Chat'

3) Put up billboard posters on every bus stop in the country while no-one is looking.

4) Give out T-shirts to current members saying 'CHAT.FREEOLA.COM FREE £30 VOUCHER' in big letters and order them to wear it at least once a week. (those who wear it every day will get a free deodorant spray)

5) Create a furry mascot advertising the site and do a deal with McDonalds to give it away in a Happy Meal.

6) Hire a zepplin and write 'FREEOLA CHAT WIN A £30 VOUCHER' on it, then fly it around the UK.

7) Phone in to Radio 1 and local radio stations to enter every competition, then blurt out the website live on the radio.

8) Hire a streaker to run across various sporting events with the website tattooed on them somewhere on their body.
Sat 26/08/06 at 15:29
Regular
Yeah, the reason why we're requesting this in here and not doing their new forum application, is because of 3 reasons.

1. I doubt I can persuade 3 people to give up their time to mod it. Perhaps one or two.

2. It will need a layout similiar to the Games forum. With atleast 4/5 categories.

3. Ideally it should have it's own GAD and not be considered a chatpost win, so only 2 GADs and not 3 will go to Cheats.

When Tony was around he welcomed suggestions, which is why we're trying to come up with something. Bringing back the reviews was something that we've always wanted to return. It's unlikely to make the fora hugely popular again but it will add to this interactive community and hopefully more people will be able to win GADs. I'm sure within the first week the forum will receive over 100 threads, even if I have to do some of them myself :)
Sat 26/08/06 at 15:07
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Garin wrote:
> Petty insults directed towards staff are really helpful, well
> done.

Yup i thought so, thank you :-)

> As I stated, I could see the point of a reviews forum. Its a
> separate system, divorced from chat which isnt backed up by
> basic game information/screenshots that I think has little
> value.
> If you want a separate reviews forum, try starting one. They
> can only say no.

Ermm isn't that what this thread is doing? Asking for a forum? And if screenshots are so important it's not exactly hard to stick a bunch of links at the bottom of a review to some screenshots and you can put a bunch of basic game information like release date, developer etc at the top of the review
Sat 26/08/06 at 14:53
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Kawada wrote:
> Yes but Tony was a tool of garage proportions, i also seem to
> remember him or some other staffie saying they wanted to appeal
> to the gaming crowd..........and then promptly ditched the games
> reviews which would have attracted them.

Petty insults directed towards staff are really helpful, well done.

> Reviews will get people talking about the games as they give
> their opinions on the game and the review and what they agree
> with and what they don't. It'll generate alot more posts than
> users who just come on, stick their cheats in the system and
> then go off again, a reviews forum will actually require them to
> be an active member of the forums or at least if they just post
> it and go again there's something for the other members who do
> post to talk about

As I stated, I could see the point of a reviews forum. Its a separate system, divorced from chat which isnt backed up by basic game information/screenshots that I think has little value.
If you want a separate reviews forum, try starting one. They can only say no.
Sat 26/08/06 at 14:04
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Garin wrote:
> And I might be wrong but I seem to recall Tony already posting
> that they'd stopped doing reviews because they lacked SR's
> product database? I really wonder how much of an asset a
> reviews database would be without basic game
> information/screenshots etc. to complement user reviews.

Yes but Tony was a tool of garage proportions, i also seem to remember him or some other staffie saying they wanted to appeal to the gaming crowd..........and then promptly ditched the games reviews which would have attracted them.

Reviews will get people talking about the games as they give their opinions on the game and the review and what they agree with and what they don't. It'll generate alot more posts than users who just come on, stick their cheats in the system and then go off again, a reviews forum will actually require them to be an active member of the forums or at least if they just post it and go again there's something for the other members who do post to talk about
Sat 26/08/06 at 03:20
Regular
I'd love it if reviews came back. That'd be awesome.
Sat 26/08/06 at 01:58
Regular
Chippxero wrote:
> As the self proclaimed king of Pouch Ape i think it's important
> that the past doesn't get dragged up again as it only ends up in
> arguments that should be deleted for the sake of the harmony of
> the forums.

I agree completely that the past not get dragged up. I think extending the olive branch isn't an attempt at disharmony in the least. I suppose it would be safer to just conform to status quo, than for there to be any possible conflicting discussion whatsoever. So, what's the issue if anyone isn't really looking at the possibility of change? Integrating one or two more forums would open the flood gates, surely.
Sat 26/08/06 at 01:40
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Hmmm...the general concensus seems to be bring back a reviews system because its easier to win GADs that way. :) I suppose Freeola will be quite selfish and wonder whats in it for them? Cheats/Walkthroughs are quite popular (apparently) yet evidence would suggest they dont generate an awful lot of forum activity. I dont see how reviews would be any different unless reviews are posted on forums and can generate feedback/discussion directly.
And I might be wrong but I seem to recall Tony already posting that they'd stopped doing reviews because they lacked SR's product database? I really wonder how much of an asset a reviews database would be without basic game information/screenshots etc. to complement user reviews.

In any event, these forums have only been open again 3 months, hardly time for panic regarding activity.
Sat 26/08/06 at 00:35
Regular
Chippxero is right. Oh and I went for the forum idea as it seems less work for them but ideally we'd like something much more interactive like the cheats and walkthroughs.

Not sure whether anything will come of this, but I'll give it one last try. It's promising to see Reefer has won a GAD for a review.

Yes, I've really tried hard to get people to post, you'll notice a lot of the threads are mine, in the past I didn't make so many. I mainly just stayed in the FOG WLT where we contributed (sometimes) about 1/4 of the daily posts on SR. Sadly most of the WLT friends I made have left the forum. But I've made many new friends which I'm grateful for.

It's not long till I have to dedicate my time to other projects, my new language/travel site, my adventures around the world and hopefully a new family (planning to propose to my girlfriend early next year). So I was keen to get the forum as active as possible, which has been harder than I thought.

Call it jealousy if you want but I was a little annoyed after putting so much effort into the forum and seeing lucky Spoonbeast win GADs for cheats every week. So I suggested brining back Reviews awhile ago, a new way to encourage people to the forum and a more worthwhile GAD winner instead of copying and pasting cheats from GamesFAQ. (I can't be the only one who'd like to write a great review instead of doing something so tedious as copying cheats)

I just hope that when I do stop contributing to Freeola, that things will stay the same and not go all quiet like it was before I returned. I'd very much like for this to carry on for another 6 years.

Oh and my apologises to anyone bothered by my earlier comment "which is why I didn't give up on them like the other 100 odd regulars.", sorry :) it's a shame but hey it all worked out in the end.
Sat 26/08/06 at 00:19
Regular
"Captain to you."
As the self proclaimed king of Pouch Ape i think it's important that the past doesn't get dragged up again as it only ends up in arguments that should be deleted for the sake of the harmony of the forums.
Sat 26/08/06 at 00:00
Regular
I suppose we could try flooding the search engines to generate more interest and possibly upping the £30 to £50. Gas prices and the price of tea in China and all.. I still seriously doubt paying people to come around will make a difference with them wanting to stick around to reform the spirited community that once was.

I know we've dumbed down the features to make them more child-oriented and sensitised the swear filters to high decibles, yet it still looks like a forum board for the more mature folk, not the kiddo's.

And what of the 'tard uncles and black sheep that revere the Pouche Ape and lurk within the Freeola shadows?? Do we still pretend they don't exist and are we still hushed from discussing them? I guess I'm still around waiting on who'll be the bigger persons to show goodwill and comraderie. Who? Whooo??

*cheers*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.