GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox outselling GC, but who cares when..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/06/02 at 21:51
Regular
...the Ps2 is still outselling the combined sales of the GC and Xbox by over 5 fold! (In Japan at least).

Sales for the week May 27th-June 2nd in Japan:

PS2: 60,000
GBA: 36,200
PS1: 7,900
Xbox: 5,700
GC: 5,400

Sonic
Thu 27/06/02 at 11:29
Regular
"DS..."
Microgarlicbread wrote:
> Turbonutter wrote:
> I'm told the
> software was knocked up in 5 hours by a few employees...
>
> Is that why the PS2 DVD player is so poor then?

Most probably :D

slik ~_~
Thu 27/06/02 at 09:14
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> I'm told the
> software was knocked up in 5 hours by a few employees...

Is that why the PS2 DVD player is so poor then?
Thu 27/06/02 at 08:07
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Edgy wrote:
> Turbonutter wrote:
> Yet the DVD playing part of the PS2 put *no* cost on to the top of
> the
> PS2.
>
> The only reason why the GameCube is so cheap is that it's hardly
> ground-breaking technology, understandably. The PS2 on the other
> hand,
> is.
>
> It costs money to incorporate a DVD player system including the
> hardware and software into a games console. Every component costs
> money whether software or hardware, anyone can tell you that!

Nope. All the components were already part of the PS2's design, and are used in games. The only thing needed was the software to bind them all together - not even a DVD decoder is required. I'm told the software was knocked up in 5 hours by a few employees...
Wed 26/06/02 at 23:19
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Were get the same story all the time, PS2 is selling around 60,000 a week in Japan.

Just how independent are these figures?
Wed 26/06/02 at 22:17
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> Yet the DVD playing part of the PS2 put *no* cost on to the top of the
> PS2.
>
> The only reason why the GameCube is so cheap is that it's hardly
> ground-breaking technology, understandably. The PS2 on the other hand,
> is.

It costs money to incorporate a DVD player system including the hardware and software into a games console. Every component costs money whether software or hardware, anyone can tell you that!

Sure, the actual disc reader is designed for DVD discs, but the software had to be designed to automatically detect a movie instead of a game, to be able to use the controllers as remotes (if official upgrade hasn't been bought), etc.

The GameCube is cheap because Nintendo wanted to sell it at a cheaper price than all the other consoles. It was Nintendo's marketing strategy. That's why Nintendo dropped from the retailer forced price of £170 to £130. Sure, the technology isn't exactly groundbreaking, but it isn't in the X-box either! If it was, it would have cost more than £300 on release, and even on a price drop, it would still have been a lot more right now! Technology is way ahead of what we see on consoles, just the consoles aren't made to current technology to keep production costs down and to keep with the trend.
Wed 26/06/02 at 21:29
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yet the DVD playing part of the PS2 put *no* cost on to the top of the PS2.

The only reason why the GameCube is so cheap is that it's hardly ground-breaking technology, understandably. The PS2 on the other hand, is.
Wed 26/06/02 at 12:53
Regular
Microgarlicbread wrote:
> at least that has a
> proper DVD player.

I should explain what I meant by this, so you don’t think I’m contradicting myself when I said “at no point did I say their DVD players were bad”.
I meant that unlike the PS2 and X-box, the Q-Cube has a DVD player layout on the front of the console, with play/pause, stop/eject, fast forward, rewind etc buttons on it, where as the others just have the remote. So it’s not a big issue at all and doesn’t warrant a discussion, although it is useful for me ‘cause I seem to break ever remote I own…
Wed 26/06/02 at 12:45
Regular
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Microgarlicbread wrote:
> It was intentionally designed just for games and it's more developer
> friendly because of it.
>
> Can we stop talking about this rubbish! The fact is that the Xbox was
> primarily designed as a console, and not a DVD player, and the DVD was
> a by-product of the choice to use DVDs as a format.
>
> As for it being "easier to develop for", what the hell does
> anyone mean by this? Lots of developers prefer the Xbox, because it's
> based on PC architecture that they know, and lots of developers like
> the PS2 because you can max it out for gaming! It all depends on what
> the developer wants!

I worded that wrong :) "It was made as a games only machine because apprently that makes it easier to get the best out of it when making games" is what I should of said, because thats the only reason I've heard, which was from some Nintendo European Marketing person I beleive.
I was trying to make a post that wouldn't start an argument :)

>
> I agree- The lack of a DVD player, or the non-sense about the cube
> being "made for gaming" ideals really should end.
> Escentially all 3 consoles come with a DVD player, but for the GC it's
> optional. OK?
>
> Sonic

Although thinking about it, you have to admit the 'Cube way is slightly better...If you already own a DVD player, you only have to pay £130 for a Games machine, but if you don't own one and want one you can pay £200-250 for a Games Machine and top quality DVD player. Although you would have to import it, you can still buy and play UK games on it with a freeloader.
And I didn't at any point in that post say the consoles were hard to develop for, nor did I say there DVD players are bad :)
Wed 26/06/02 at 10:03
"Darkness, always"
I don't really see sales figures as particularly useful.

To me, I know one person who owns a PS2, which has been gathering dust for months, I know no-one with an XBOX, and know 4 people with GameCubes. I also know about 4 other people planning to buy Cubes in the near future. I don't know anyone planning to get a PS2, and know of only one person planning to get an XBOX.

To me, compared with the popularity of the PS2 among the people i know, I can only suspect that Sony employees are being threatened with pay cuts if they do not own a PS2... The increasing popularity of the XBOX is thanks only to the competitively reduced price. What it means at the end of the day is that there is room for all three on the market, which no-one has good reason to complain about really.

IB
Tue 25/06/02 at 21:42
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Microgarlicbread wrote:
> It was intentionally designed just for games and it's more developer
> friendly because of it.

Can we stop talking about this rubbish! The fact is that the Xbox was primarily designed as a console, and not a DVD player, and the DVD was a by-product of the choice to use DVDs as a format.

As for it being "easier to develop for", what the hell does anyone mean by this? Lots of developers prefer the Xbox, because it's based on PC architecture that they know, and lots of developers like the PS2 because you can max it out for gaming! It all depends on what the developer wants!

Thats the reason, don't bother trying to argue
> 'cause frankly I don't want to hear any crappy coments regarding the
> lack of a DVD playe ron the Cube. It's not even a valid argument, you
> can jut import a Q-Cube if you want one so much, at least that has a
> proper, decent DVD player.

I agree- The lack of a DVD player, or the non-sense about the cube being "made for gaming" ideals really should end. Escentially all 3 consoles come with a DVD player, but for the GC it's optional. OK?

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.