GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Price Of Memory cards"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/05/02 at 17:23
Regular
The other day i got the PS2 for an early birthday present along with 2 games - Tekken Tag and MGS2. The only problem is that I haven't got a memory card. I looked in loads of mags but couldn't find the price. (My computer had to be fixed so i coldn'y go on the net). So finally I asked my friend how much they were and he told me.....25 QUID!!! I know it's a PS2 and it's amazing but that's very poor! I've got £15 quid and one guy who's gonna explode...ME! PSone memory cards only cost around £3, so why do PS2 ones cost so much!!!!?
Thu 02/05/02 at 20:52
Regular
"Thongs of Praise"
I use "RAM" in the loosest sense of the word.
Thu 02/05/02 at 20:46
Regular
> They do not contain 8Mb of RAM. It is an 8Mb memory stick, which is
> highly stable, non-volatile memory that is totally different, and a
> lot more expensive than normal RAM that PCs use.

Yes, nvram is more expensive than pcram, however, it has still fallen in price, checkout the prices of other memory cards (compactflash and smartmedia), even the ones on the overpriced SR site make the overpriced 8MB Sony card look limp.

How about games supporting memory via the usb port like the usb-pen drives
Thu 02/05/02 at 20:21
Regular
"Back For Good"
but they're huge!!! The PS1 memory card held 15 blocks, the PS2 card hold 8mb. I have two (thanks to Sony HQ) and my second one is backup copies of everything and i really should get around to deleting it, half of whats on it are saves of games I don't own anymore :-) My point is this card holds the version 2 dvd driver (2mb), region X, about 25+ gamesaves, replays, ya basic games from PSI2 and other bits and bobs and it's still nowhere near the brim.

Pricey but worthy ;-)
Thu 02/05/02 at 20:04
Regular
Plonk wrote:
> Its sonys way of making profit, they dont make it on their consoles,
> its through game and peripheral sales. It is a rip off cause 8 megs of
> ram should cost pennies. This is a topic ive raised b4 but devoted
> sony fans seem to disagree and like to licks sonys buttocks

They do not contain 8Mb of RAM. It is an 8Mb memory stick, which is highly stable, non-volatile memory that is totally different, and a lot more expensive than normal RAM that PCs use.

Anyway, why are people moaning. Games cost £40/£45 to buy, yet you don't moan at that. You only buy 1 or 2 memory cards, but loads of games during the life of the console. I don't know about you, but I'd rather pay less for the games, which I do anyway cos' I got my PS2 fitted with a Messiah chip.
Thu 02/05/02 at 18:14
Regular
"Thongs of Praise"
Its sonys way of making profit, they dont make it on their consoles, its through game and peripheral sales. It is a rip off cause 8 megs of ram should cost pennies. This is a topic ive raised b4 but devoted sony fans seem to disagree and like to licks sonys buttocks
Thu 02/05/02 at 17:36
Regular
Hehe, I'd be shocked if I get votes this time around, none of these newbies have a grasp of my intellectual talents and abilities, thay are mere mortals. You know the truth, that is why you hide under your fur.....
Thu 02/05/02 at 17:34
"High polygon count"
Bonus wrote:
> Mental note Wookie, must try harder ;)

Just for that, I refuse to vote for you.

;-)
Thu 02/05/02 at 17:32
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
The thing is they hold so much info that you will probably only ever need one.

I got an official one from Dixons in January for 17.99 - It pays to look around !
Thu 02/05/02 at 17:32
Regular
Lol, I post about two messages a week on this place and I still manage to whoop the Notables into shape......

Mental note Wookie, must try harder ;)
Thu 02/05/02 at 17:28
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Doh, beaten twice to the answer.....must type quicker!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.