GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"That's odd..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/04/02 at 15:10
Regular
So the sun is out today, and it's a glorious day.
Except for one simple thing, and I'll try to explain.

There have been a number of posts here recently concerning foreign and domestic issues and immigrants/refugees etc, and I have had several discussions with folks here about what it means to be "British" and "Proud of England".

My stand is that I have no particular allegiance to this country, and as far as I'm concerned this is just another piece of rock floating on the sea that happens to have been labelled “England”.
We’ve seen a rise in the right-wing politics in France over the past couple of days, as well as a surge of right-wing votes/candidates in Germany, Italy and previously calm Switzerland.

There is the argument that “being proud of your country doesn’t mean your racist”. I agree with that idea, to an extent.
The way I feel, the moment you start saying “Well you live here then you observe our customs and ways” starts to sound a little strange to me. You have nothing to do with the fact that you are English, your parents do. Aside from the language you speak and the geographical location, you are exactly the same as Mehmet/Abdul/Nu-Gyen etc etc, and to insist they follow your traditions merely because they live in the same borders as you strikes me as odd.
But that’s just me.

To be “proud of your country” would suggest that you’ve done something for it. Fought in a war maybe, or just done something other than…well…nothing at all.
Being born here doesn’t make you any more worthy of being “proud to British” in my eyes.
And the fuss that gets caused because some council in Birmingham wants to rename Christmas etc etc is so utterly pointless, it doesn’t affect you at all.
So, to Wookie, YH and everyone else that has been banging on about being proud of being British etc (not specifically you two, but the only two names that spring to mind), I have 1 question:

Why has nobody mentioned the fact it’s St George’s Day today?

I would have thought that staunch UK Supporters might have made a little post about it somewhere.
Sat 11/05/02 at 22:00
Regular
"I like cheese"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> And a retarded dead walrus at that.
>
> Yeah.

An imbecilic retarded dead walrus sounds even better.
Sat 11/05/02 at 18:56
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Justifyer, how far back do you want to take that? What does it mean to be English at all?

Every country has been invaded numerous times, with varying effects. We have not been successfully invaded for around a thousand years. Don't you think that's long enough to be classified as English, considering the inevitable dilution of the bloodlines?

If not, who do you count as English?
Angles, Saxons, Danes, Kelts - they've all mixed with the population here. England was named after the Angles (Angle-land), yet all of those tribes were either Nordic or German.
Sat 11/05/02 at 17:03
Regular
And a retarded dead walrus at that.

Yeah.
Sat 11/05/02 at 16:47
Regular
"I like cheese"
frogy wrote:
> bananaman UK/GOATBOY----the point is that your thick!...Read the
> script!...Jesus was/is not the son of god! Cos there ain't one! If you
> can prove other wise? Be my guest! If you can't,shut up! I CAN prove
> your stupid! Religion,is the biggest manmade invention EVER!...Jesus
> was just another antiestabliment radical,thats got blown out of all
> proportion

Fine then, you prove God/Jesus doesn't exist. Go on, be my guest.

You'll find it hard, especially since there is scientific evidence Jesus existed.

You're calling Goatboy stupid? Rather ironic really. Judging by your use of grammar you have the intellectual capability of a dead walrus.
Sat 11/05/02 at 09:47
If most people looked up their family tree, they would find that most of 'our' country is not pure English. So just think before the next time you say 'P**I' where you come from, for this country has Scottish, Welsh, French, Irish, Swedish, Germans and even dating back to when the Romans invaded from Italy and their other numerous countries that were under control by the Romans. More than half our population isn't pure English. We have had so many invasions that have succeeded and then they have settled here in England. So really if what you 'proud to be British' people are being like this then you better shut up because you could be a foreigner. I mean for god sake our Queen isn't even pure English!
Sat 11/05/02 at 08:55
"possibly impossible"
frogy wrote:
> bananaman UK/GOATBOY----the point is that your thick!...(rants on for ages)...

I think that kind of sums it all up really.

When anyone argues about 'our' history, politics or the fact that one country invaded another, you just have to ask the question 'how far back are you prepared to go?'. At any one point in history we can see that most countries, and especially this little island here, were owned or at least kept under rule by any number of peoples.

We are as much Roman (and therefore derived from Latin blood) as we are Viking (and therefore Scandinavian), and even further back we are all African, so technically, if you are going for the 'we invaded or were here first' rule then we are all Africans (so far as history and archeology is currently aware).

My culture is what defines me, perhaps, but I could so easily change it and I have. Having one side of my family being Spanish has opened me up to a new culture, surprisingly different at times, but refreshing in every way. At this stage in the Earth's life, we should be building bridges, not barriers. Humans are confusing creatures who build things only to knock them down again, and not only physical things either.
Sat 11/05/02 at 07:03
WORD.......... The last!
Tue 30/04/02 at 02:22
bananaman UK/GOATBOY----the point is that your thick!...Read the script!...Jesus was/is not the son of god! Cos there ain't one! If you can prove other wise? Be my guest! If you can't,shut up! I CAN prove your stupid! Religion,is the biggest manmade invention EVER!...Jesus was just another antiestabliment radical,thats got blown out of all proportion,like all other legends,Robin Hood,Davy Crocket,Father Xmas,etc;etc;etc: The truth,is very,very different! There where masses of religions,followers,leaders,promoters,etc;etc;long before jesus! ever since man could think! There still is! Which begs the question WHY? If theres only one god,why so many different religions? Why so many different beliefs?....It brings us back to individual & National,identity!.....Theres just too many dam forieners,in this county! My county! My culture! My religion! My creed! My kith & kin! My kind! My life!.......
Wed 24/04/02 at 17:51
In reply to frogy, Jesus was the son of God and he was a Jew, not Welsh as you originally thought. What was your point??
Wed 24/04/02 at 15:25
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Well said.

Disagreements are fine, we at least attempt to explain our viewpoints and I have all the time in the world for that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.