GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Choosing a router"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/06/14 at 10:27
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hi All,

I'm fairly sure my current router (Netgear DGN2000) is giving up the ghost. Our household has several devices which are all regularly dropping wireless connection to it. Several restarts of the router get it going again but the problems are getting more and more frequent.

Anyhoo, I think it's time to look for a replacement.

I've seen the Linksys WRT1900AC which looks like a nice router but tbh there are so many choices out there that I may well be chucking good money at a spec I don't really need.

We're not really heavy data users although we do have SKY and fairly regularly use on-demand stuff. There are two laptops and a couple of mobiles too but there's no real need for anything other than to handle normal internet use.

Any advice from the more knowledgeable Freeolarers would be greatly appreciated.

JTD
Mon 23/06/14 at 15:03
"Are you sure?"
Blimey that Linksys is expensive.

For reference here's DL's previous router thread.

As I mention in that thread, if you have a decent (ADSL)line then you can get away with nearly any old router and just choose which device by it's wireless options and other specs. If your line's not so good then you need to be a bit more picky.

These days it also pays to think about FTTC. If you are likely to move from standard ADSL to an FTTC connection then some routers can work with both broadband formats which could be useful to make it a bit more future proof.

I'm still a Broadcom chipset fan. The Netgear Wireless-N 300 is a decent router at a fair price. There is also a '600' version with higher specs, at a higher price.

I set up a '300' the other week and noticed Netgear have updated their GUI. For as long as I can remember the GUI has been roughly the same. They probably could have left things how they were!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 23/06/14 at 11:57
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Almost every router review has negative comments. I know there are some people who are never happy and/or love writing negative reviews just for the fun of it but it still puts a seed of doubt in your mind.

It's always good to hear from someone who has actually used a particular router in anger.

I'll take a look at it.
Mon 23/06/14 at 11:39
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hi JTD ...

Had similar problems with a Netgear DGN1000 about 6 months ago but since I upgraded to a Netgear DGND3300 no problems whatsoever. Hope this might help.
Mon 23/06/14 at 10:27
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hi All,

I'm fairly sure my current router (Netgear DGN2000) is giving up the ghost. Our household has several devices which are all regularly dropping wireless connection to it. Several restarts of the router get it going again but the problems are getting more and more frequent.

Anyhoo, I think it's time to look for a replacement.

I've seen the Linksys WRT1900AC which looks like a nice router but tbh there are so many choices out there that I may well be chucking good money at a spec I don't really need.

We're not really heavy data users although we do have SKY and fairly regularly use on-demand stuff. There are two laptops and a couple of mobiles too but there's no real need for anything other than to handle normal internet use.

Any advice from the more knowledgeable Freeolarers would be greatly appreciated.

JTD

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.