GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Choosing a router"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/06/14 at 10:27
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hi All,

I'm fairly sure my current router (Netgear DGN2000) is giving up the ghost. Our household has several devices which are all regularly dropping wireless connection to it. Several restarts of the router get it going again but the problems are getting more and more frequent.

Anyhoo, I think it's time to look for a replacement.

I've seen the Linksys WRT1900AC which looks like a nice router but tbh there are so many choices out there that I may well be chucking good money at a spec I don't really need.

We're not really heavy data users although we do have SKY and fairly regularly use on-demand stuff. There are two laptops and a couple of mobiles too but there's no real need for anything other than to handle normal internet use.

Any advice from the more knowledgeable Freeolarers would be greatly appreciated.

JTD
Wed 02/07/14 at 22:16
Regular
"I like turtles"
Had an ongoing problem since late last year with speeds falling through the floor and web pages partially loading or failing to load at all. Tried 4 routers in total now (2 were the same make) all giving slightly different issues??? My network adapters are up to date DL, JTD my new Netgear is also dropping out. My previous router and Freeola test router (both Belkin's) didn't drop out as such but would run very slowly or would appear to be connected but would fail to load web pages (also couldn't log into router or run tests when this occured). Went on XBL last night and it kicked me out 4 times in an hour. Things seem a little better this evening but this issue is very intermittent, can go days being fine or hit periods when it's basically unusable. I've messed about with a few things over the past few days, I've also recently tried standing the router upright as it does seem to get quite warm and wondered if that may help? If things persist may have no option but to move to FTTC but Freeola aren't exactly the cheapest for this at the moment so might have to reluctantly look elsewhere. As I said earlier, tonight it hasn't been so bad and while it not may not be the fastest ADSL 2+ connection on the planet at least it has been usable.
Wed 02/07/14 at 11:17
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
You tried updating your network adapter drivers pete? Worked for me about a year ago.
Tue 01/07/14 at 21:14
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
What problems are you having Pete?

Even after buying my new router I've had to raise a support ticket because my connection is still up and down like a yoyo.

I'm sure my old router was knackered because it also kept dropping the wireless connection. at least the new one only drops the ADSL connection.
Tue 01/07/14 at 17:31
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
Hasn't been plain sailing with the Netgear so far, still experiencing issues. Will have a mess about with a few things over the next few days and see how I get on.

If you've the same Netgear DGND3300 as me pete, then I can't fault it. From the start it's performed way above expected, with one hard wired pc and multiple wireless pcs. Still we all have different situations and locations, so maybe it's not the router ....
Tue 01/07/14 at 15:45
Regular
"I like turtles"
Hasn't been plain sailing with the Netgear so far, still experiencing issues. Will have a mess about with a few things over the next few days and see how I get on.
Sat 28/06/14 at 21:53
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
Coming at you via the power of one Netgear DGND3300v2 N300 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N ADSL2+ Modem Router! Seems OK so far, see if my intermittent issue returns...

Now I'm a 'happy man' pete as this is what I upgraded to and have had no problems with since ... good bit o'kit

@ Hmmm ...

"The model I've been referring to is as JTD said the DGN2200 version 3 or 4 etc. As I mentioned this is a later model of JTD's original DGN2000. DL and you (will) have a slightly different device."

Somewhat Hmmm ... next gen Netgear ... DGN2200 v's DGND3300... spot the difference ;¬)
Sat 28/06/14 at 17:42
Regular
"I like turtles"
Coming at you via the power of one Netgear DGND3300v2 N300 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N ADSL2+ Modem Router! Seems OK so far, see if my intermittent issue returns...
Thu 26/06/14 at 15:04
"Are you sure?"
Confusing all these Netgear names!

I used the description from Amazon when I started calling it N300 which isn't actually the model - I should have been clearer sorry, as this refers to the wireless specs.

The model I've been referring to is as JTD said the DGN2200 version 3 or 4 etc. As I mentioned this is a later model of JTD's original DGN2000. DL and you (will) have a slightly different device.

As Pete says - roll on FTTC - see my other thread :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 26/06/14 at 13:37
Regular
"I like turtles"
The one I ordered was the model DL mentioned or to give it its full title 'Netgear DGND3300v2 N300 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N ADSL2+ Modem Router'. Being v2 presume this is an older model or something? There's a company selling them new on eBay for £26.99, item no. 291151529053. When I get it I'll upgrade to the latest firmware and see how I get on. I will probably upgrade to FTTC when prices drop a bit but for the last 6 months or so my Freeola ADSL 2+ home connection has behaved very erratically, fine one minute, crap the next. I very rarely get dropouts but the speed keeps falling through the floor (occasionally unusable). Thought I would a try a cheap and cheerful basic router (that wasn't a Belkin) to see if that made any difference, thought it was worth punt for that price.
Thu 26/06/14 at 11:30
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
I got mine from PC World (#shudders#) for £49. It's the DGN2200v4.

Not had any problems so far with dropouts/reconnections. I did upgrade the firmware though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.