GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Choosing a router"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/06/14 at 10:27
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hi All,

I'm fairly sure my current router (Netgear DGN2000) is giving up the ghost. Our household has several devices which are all regularly dropping wireless connection to it. Several restarts of the router get it going again but the problems are getting more and more frequent.

Anyhoo, I think it's time to look for a replacement.

I've seen the Linksys WRT1900AC which looks like a nice router but tbh there are so many choices out there that I may well be chucking good money at a spec I don't really need.

We're not really heavy data users although we do have SKY and fairly regularly use on-demand stuff. There are two laptops and a couple of mobiles too but there's no real need for anything other than to handle normal internet use.

Any advice from the more knowledgeable Freeolarers would be greatly appreciated.

JTD
Thu 26/06/14 at 11:22
"Are you sure?"
That's a good price! Where are you getting that from?

The versions I'm looking at are around £41.

Is it the same model as I linked to? A Netgear Wireless-N 300 (model: DGN2200-100UKS v3), as there are a few similar versions.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 26/06/14 at 11:14
Regular
"I like turtles"
Did some quick research on this issue and according to Netgear's website the last firmware upgrade 'Fixed a problem with a particular Internet Service Provider which could result in repeated Internet disconnections.' Will see how I get on, we have a Netgear 300 here at work (same exchange, also a Freeola connection) and that's fine. Until this morning wasn't aware it was basically the same model as the one I've ordered. Anyway, thought it was worth a shot for £27, can't be any worse that's for sure.
Thu 26/06/14 at 10:31
"Are you sure?"
I've just found that my clients with a new Netgear N300 have a problem with it not reconnecting automatically if the link drops.

The ADSL sync picks up fine but the PPP(internet) light stays red - a reboot sorts it. Obviously that's not right though! All the settings appear fine (I need to go and have a proper look at things) it was offering a firmware upgrade so that was applied yesterday which may help if they are lucky.

So something to watch for if you get one.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 26/06/14 at 08:16
Regular
"I like turtles"
I'm just about to order one of these now. They're cheap enough so willing to give it a try to see if helps with my ongoing connection problem. Will send Freeola's test router they kindly lent me back today as that was no different to my existing one (both Belkin's).
Mon 23/06/14 at 22:42
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Glad you're sorted JTD! Seems as if Hmmm suggested the same router as I did earlier ie Netgear DGND3300 ... same thing N300!
Mon 23/06/14 at 21:34
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
I've been putting up with the drop-outs and poor speeds for weeks but as soon as my missus's facebook sessions start to be effected then we had to get a new one NOW!!!
Mon 23/06/14 at 20:08
"Are you sure?"
Quick work :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 23/06/14 at 20:01
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hi, I'm bringing you this message by the power of a new Netgear N300.

Setup was a breeze. Wireless speed feels faster than the DGN2000. Wireless signal strength isn't brilliant but it's more than adequate for my needs and I have a range extender for those dark corners of the house anyway.

Many thanks for taking the time to advise me.

JTD
Mon 23/06/14 at 15:49
"Are you sure?"
No problem.
If it was me I think I would buy a Netgear N300 (around £40) and see how it works out. It's a more up-to-date version of what you've already got.

Then if it works fine you're sorted or if you want to upgrade to something more sophisticated then this would leave you with a decent spare - you can't have too many spares!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 23/06/14 at 15:24
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Thanks Hmmm... - good advice as always. The previous thread has some good info too.

I have a pretty decent line (~1km from exchange and ADSL2+) and was getting over 17Mb down and just over 1Mb up. Can't remember sync and noise values but they were pretty decent too.

I don't mind paying the price for decent gear which will see me over the next 5-8 years which will probably bring with them more demand for data downloading, but I don't want to be shelling out big bucks just for the hell of it.

Seeing as my DGN2000 is all but knackered (my missus has rung me 3 times today to say it's died again) I'll have to make my mind up quickly.

I'll let you know what I choose - so you can say 'what did you do that for...?' :oD

Thanks again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.