GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Choosing a router"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/06/14 at 10:27
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hi All,

I'm fairly sure my current router (Netgear DGN2000) is giving up the ghost. Our household has several devices which are all regularly dropping wireless connection to it. Several restarts of the router get it going again but the problems are getting more and more frequent.

Anyhoo, I think it's time to look for a replacement.

I've seen the Linksys WRT1900AC which looks like a nice router but tbh there are so many choices out there that I may well be chucking good money at a spec I don't really need.

We're not really heavy data users although we do have SKY and fairly regularly use on-demand stuff. There are two laptops and a couple of mobiles too but there's no real need for anything other than to handle normal internet use.

Any advice from the more knowledgeable Freeolarers would be greatly appreciated.

JTD
Mon 21/07/14 at 16:06
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
pete_21 wrote:
[i]

Don't know what it is DL, seems very odd that was great for nearly a fortnight before going belly up again. Now starting to get the partial webpage loading issue again. There's obviously some issue lurking somewhere but I'm kind of resigning myself to the possibility that it may not be to be easily fixable (Captain Obvious I know!).

:(

This may be a 'daft' suggestion but it could be the DNS settings within your Network settings. As this article states, the settings can be automatic or manually entered. Personally, I enter them manually as given by Freeola. Your setup may be different.

Read this and ignore the Mac references ... it's all the same basically.

I could give you the Freeola DNS settings ... there are 2, but I won't here ;¬)[/i]

Nice idea, DL, but as discussed with Pete, this looks like something "physical" rather than a settings issue. It's certainly odd, and not easy to pin down, and we've been tracking this one for some time already.
Mon 21/07/14 at 15:57
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:

Don't know what it is DL, seems very odd that was great for nearly a fortnight before going belly up again. Now starting to get the partial webpage loading issue again. There's obviously some issue lurking somewhere but I'm kind of resigning myself to the possibility that it may not be to be easily fixable (Captain Obvious I know!).

This may be a 'daft' suggestion but it could be the DNS settings within your Network settings. As this article states, the settings can be automatic or manually entered. Personally, I enter them manually as given by Freeola. Your setup may be different.

Read this and ignore the Mac references ... it's all the same basically.

I could give you the Freeola DNS settings ... there are 2, but I won't here ;¬)
Mon 21/07/14 at 08:11
Regular
"I like turtles"
DL wrote:
Oh dear ... let's try the usual excuse ... it's the weather! ...

... sorry pete

Thu 17/07/14 at 20:11
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Oh dear ... let's try the usual excuse ... it's the weather! ...

... sorry pete
Thu 17/07/14 at 19:35
Regular
"I like turtles"
Looks like I spoke too soon, got home today and connection had dropped, rebooted got this.

'Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.83 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.

IP Profile for your line is - 8.3 Mbps'

Tue 15/07/14 at 20:00
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Happy faces :¬D Netgear is cool with DFB ...
Tue 15/07/14 at 19:30
Regular
"I like turtles"
DFB Update! Connection stayed up for 9 consecutive days, IP profile has now nearly doubled, one router reboot later and...

'Download speedachieved during the test was - 10.02 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.

IP Profile for your line is - 10.13 Mbps'

Not one web page loading issue over those 9 days and where the needle on the speedometer style speedtests used to look like granny pulling out of Tesco's car park it is now pretty much stable with only minor fluctuations.

In the words of the great Valentino Rossi 'I verrrrry appy' :)
Sun 06/07/14 at 13:06
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
If "DFB" is working, all good!

I'll keep an eye on the connection regardless, just to monitor for any changes, but hopefully we're there.

Not strictly nonsense as Hmmm pointed out, but unusual to say the least. I'll file this one under "Weird potential fixes" (or "WPF" if you prefer) for future reference...

Just happy we got a solution in the end!
Sun 06/07/14 at 12:52
Regular
"I like turtles"
chasfh wrote:
Probably more relevant than the router/filter models is that a standard analogue phone didn't seem to cause an issue, but your cordless ones did.

Just a question, but does your cordless base unit stand near your router? (wondering if, perhaps, you simply "accumulate" errors due to interference...)

I actually thought exactly the same thing Chas so I ran a couple of extensions across the landing to get the 2 units as far apart as possible (one was right at front of house the other at the rear) and it made no difference whatsoever, as soon as the phone connected the connection was screwed. I have now returned all my equipment neatly in one corner of the same room (as it has been since I've lived here since 2009) and with my double-filter bodge (or DFB as I like to call it!) it's working fine? I appreciate that it sounds like I'm talking utter nonsense but it's actually true! I'm just glad that I've finally got a usable connection so I'm happy, thanks again for your help BTW.
Sun 06/07/14 at 11:40
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pete_21 wrote:
Yep, it's certainly left a dent in my wallet! The thing was after 6 months of intermittent unusable speeds, web pages constantly hanging/partially loading and then constant dropouts with the new router I was getting really fed up with it TBH. The only real way of finding out which (if any) of my equipment was causing these issues was to replace everything (which initially still didn't do the trick). Still think there is some issue on my line/connection to be honest as I can't really see why 3 makes of router (and 3 makes of ADSL filters) would all react differently, a D-Link model I tried wouldn't stay up for anymore than 30 seconds even with the phone not in use. Anyway, in my new role as level 10 telecoms engineer I am currently working away in my secret laboratory on a device that should sort out even the worst of these issues. Can't go into specifics but the first prototype of the Octo-ADSL filter should be ready for taking on Dragons Den very soon...

Probably more relevant than the router/filter models is that a standard analogue phone didn't seem to cause an issue, but your cordless ones did.

Just a question, but does your cordless base unit stand near your router? (wondering if, perhaps, you simply "accumulate" errors due to interference...)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.