GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Choosing a router"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/06/14 at 10:27
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hi All,

I'm fairly sure my current router (Netgear DGN2000) is giving up the ghost. Our household has several devices which are all regularly dropping wireless connection to it. Several restarts of the router get it going again but the problems are getting more and more frequent.

Anyhoo, I think it's time to look for a replacement.

I've seen the Linksys WRT1900AC which looks like a nice router but tbh there are so many choices out there that I may well be chucking good money at a spec I don't really need.

We're not really heavy data users although we do have SKY and fairly regularly use on-demand stuff. There are two laptops and a couple of mobiles too but there's no real need for anything other than to handle normal internet use.

Any advice from the more knowledgeable Freeolarers would be greatly appreciated.

JTD
Tue 05/08/14 at 20:08
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
...since my last post my connection has been fine, fast and stable! :S

Guess you mean this ;¬)
Tue 05/08/14 at 19:37
Regular
"I like turtles"
...since my last post my connection has been fine, fast and stable! :S
Fri 01/08/14 at 08:42
Regular
"I like turtles"
Our exchange is powered by a set of hamsters running in wheels, according to my friend who works for BT it is anyway!

My lines are all underground DL so can't check for any 'squiggles' as they'd be under my drive. I shall inquire to see if BT can retrofit one to my line! :)

Things like this are the reason I really don't want to move (and get tied) to another ISP.

*Connection just went screwy again as I was trying to post this. Rebooted router and my connection is now flying! :S*
Thu 31/07/14 at 20:30
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
Work connection is on a newer line but our exchange is apparently falling to bits. I have a couple of friends who work for BT and both reckon they need to invest in a new squadron of hamsters to keep it going! We do have FTTC in our area now, shame it's still so expensive (without getting tied up to a rubbish provider which I really don't want to do).

Hamsters for your exchange or for BT?

It does seem strange that the newer line performs as expected and the older one doesn't from the same exchange.
I only ask, as our line is at least 30 years old and comes to the house via a Norwegian spruce sprouting about 20 lines. Our line resembles a 'squiggly' line while all the rest are straight as a die and yet ... it works wonders!

BT have checked the 'squiggly' line and confirm that it's ok and that 'squiggly' lines work! So ... get a ladder and get to it (only if it's an overhead line of course)
Thu 31/07/14 at 10:38
Regular
"I like turtles"
Work connection is on a newer line but our exchange is apparently falling to bits. I have a couple of friends who work for BT and both reckon they need to invest in a new squadron of hamsters to keep it going! We do have FTTC in our area now, shame it's still so expensive (without getting tied up to a rubbish provider which I really don't want to do).
Thu 31/07/14 at 09:37
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
DL, I have 2 Freeola connections, same exchange different buildings (less than a mile apart). My home connection now seems to have settled around 5 - 5.5 Mbs while my work connection is around 16.5 Mbs.

Are the two 'lines' the same age or is the work connection on an older line?
Thu 31/07/14 at 09:12
Regular
"I like turtles"
Cheers for the clarification Hmmm, suppose any adjustments that have been made are basically a balance between speed and stability? (looks as though the underlying cause is some kind of very hard to pinpoint intermittent BT issue). At least the connection seems stable at the moment which is something it has not been for quite a while.

DL, I have 2 Freeola connections, same exchange different buildings (less than a mile apart). My home connection now seems to have settled around 5 - 5.5 Mbs while my work connection is around 16.5 Mbs. Ideally if I could have got anything close to that I would be very happy (as it was for nearly a fortnight) but it doesn't look as though that's going to be easily achievable. As I mentioned for general web browsing and stuff it now seems fine but HD streaming isn't very good at all. On sites like YouTube where you can alter the quality settings you can get around it but others just keep stopping, buffering, video freezes but audio continues etc. I don't think my connection is fast enough to handle this kind of stuff TBH. I do have a plan but it involves rather a lot of these!
Wed 30/07/14 at 22:49
"Are you sure?"
pete_21 wrote:
Connection seems stable now and useable but speed far from amazing, have I been put back onto ADSL 1?

No, you aren't on an ADSL(1) IP Profile .

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 30/07/14 at 22:31
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
General web browsing and stuff is fine but some HD streaming is rubbish (keeps stopping and buffering).

My other Freeola connection (same exchange) is about treble this speed.

I'm no Einstein pete, but what is the difference between your two Freeola connections then ... apart from your connection speed? Are they in the same location or different for example?
Wed 30/07/14 at 20:45
Regular
"I like turtles"
Connection seems stable now and useable but speed far from amazing, have I been put back onto ADSL 1?

'Download speedachieved during the test was - 5.82 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.

IP Profile for your line is - 5.87 Mbps'

General web browsing and stuff is fine but some HD streaming is rubbish (keeps stopping and buffering). My other Freeola connection (same exchange) is about treble this speed.

Any news on Freeola's FTTC deals? (or due soon).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.