GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'll tell you what the problem is"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/04/02 at 11:02
Regular
It's you trying to make things better by complaining in the wrong places.

If someone posts something deemed as spam, you that think you're helping, are doing the opposite.

Here's an example:

Post 1: Y R Gamecube so gay?

Post 2: This is spam, stop it.

Post 3: Yeah, try to come up with a decent post, idiot.

Post 4: Yet another rubbish newbie post

and so it goes on, this post has a few replies, people think it must be interesting, read it, and reply with something that doesn't help.

Meanwhile, a decent post, more than a few paragraphs long is slowly slipping down the page as you tell each other that a spade is a spade.

So here's a suggestion, don't reply to rubbish posts.

If someone writes something, and no one replies, maybe they'll see why, and benefit from it more than if you attack them.
Mon 08/04/02 at 16:59
I 'lurked' for a long time before making my first FOG post.

I tried not to copy other people, but just to get the feel of the forum, it seemed to be quite intelligent - at the time. I admit lately it has been thrown into disarray a bit.

I didn't read the GAD rules, but then I wasn't really out to win GAD, I knew there was a lot of competition and I would have to work hard at it! But I did know not to post dumb topics, and not to copy and post articles from the Internet in the hope of winning GAD. But surely it does not take a genius to work that out?

I remember my first post, all the regulars thought I was cheating because my first post actually made sense!

I think Regulars and Notables alike could do with being more helpful to Newbies, if a Newbie makes a dumb comment, or doesn't quite get the "rules", it would be better to be helpful rather than come across all holier than thou... just my opinion.
Mon 08/04/02 at 16:21
Regular
"everyone says it"
AliBoy wrote:
> Shhhh Fool, Mr T frowns on such activities. I think every person who signs up
> should have to pass strict medical examinations - mental and
> physical.

Grix is Mr T
Mon 08/04/02 at 15:36
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Shhhh Fool, Mr T frowns on such activities. I think every person who signs up should have to pass strict medical examinations - mental and physical.

I don't really :-)
Stryke will you shave the beard for charity? :-)
Mon 08/04/02 at 15:34
Regular
Ban anyone with a stupid name. This includes:

People with stupid characters
People with numbers
People who can't spell Strike
Mon 08/04/02 at 15:29
Regular
Darkness_2K wrote:
When you sign up, you have t tick a box to say you agree to the rules.
If you break them, because you have agreed, you get a warning.
3 red lights and you're out, or something similar?

Thing is, how many people see things like that and just tick the box saying they've read, when they haven't. I do it for a fact, and I suspect others do as well.

The three red lights and you're out sounds a good idea.

But how would you know if people broke the rules?

For me, spam is an uninteresting post. But a post I find uninteresting, someone else may find really good, and vice versa.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that something needs to be done, but it needs to be thought through properly before it's implemented.
Mon 08/04/02 at 15:24
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Could work, also what about e-mailing them the Gameaday rules and also the "guide to Gameaday" composed by the notables, staff and some clever regulars.

Getting people to read things like this can be hard, most would skim over or just totally miss read it, perhaps saying that it increases your change of winning (in a way it would as it could help make them better writters)
Maybe have a "So you want to win Gameaday? Read here to find out how to win" In the e-mail you send them when they register.
Mon 08/04/02 at 12:43
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
Your Honour wrote:
> Aliboy, it's a good idea, but how would you make them read it?

Bit harsh but..... a la terms and conditions?

When you sign up, you have t tick a box to say you agree to the rules.

If you break them, because you have agreed, you get a warning.

3 red lights and you're out, or something similar?
Mon 08/04/02 at 11:59
Regular
The latter, I think.

What I am about to say actually happened. Do not attempt to re-create.

I'm in America, watching Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back with some goons i.e. my classmates.

Goon #1:"Whats that one's name?"

Me:"Silent Bob."

Goon #2:"Why isn't he talking?"

Me:"....."
Mon 08/04/02 at 11:56
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Maybe if we made them all watch Battle Royale and Requiem for a Dream they'd all become jaded cynics like us...

Or they'd go "ha ha look he shot him hah haaaa manky arm man ha"
Mon 08/04/02 at 11:55
Regular
How Shameo. Is this life pattern fixed for him? Will he always realise he has nothing to offer and cheat his way through life?

...Yes.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.