GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Site Navigation"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 26/10/02 at 00:38
Regular
Does anybody think the navigation of our site is confusing.

Please answer YES or NO and if YES state WHY.

Ta
Sat 26/10/02 at 11:14
"High polygon count"
Darkus wrote:
> Perhaps a bit neater down the side like this:?

Yes! I like it!

I also prefer having the blue all the way to the edge, and the solid - rather than rounded - edge at the top left.
Sat 26/10/02 at 11:14
"Uzi Lover"
Darkus wrote:
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/darkus/

Yeah, I like that.
Sat 26/10/02 at 11:24
Regular
NO
Sat 26/10/02 at 11:52
Regular
"smile, it's free"
No, but then I've been here over two years now. To post a question like that in the forums, you're really asking the wrong people. You're asking people who visit the site regularly and are very computer literate, really you want to be getting feedback from people who are not familiar with ordering online.

I'll also say that I used to think it was confusing to have so many links on the left hand side - especially those 'below the fold'.

So many of the links seem unnecessary - why have so many separate links for PC Ram, PC peripherals etc when they could all be encompassed under 'PC hardware'? If you want all this detail to still be available, have a subcategory pop up when you have the mouse over 'pc hardware', or an extra set of links in the pc hardware page.

At the moment you have a huge number of different websites and sections with little structure, just held together by one very big navigation bar.

One idea might be to prune redunant links... you should have (or could set up) some way to record which links are frequently used, and which aren't.

eg, for every 1000 people who check out your special offers, how many do so from the two links at the top of the page, or from other parts of your site. How many use that link way down on the left below 'gamer of the year'?
Sat 26/10/02 at 12:27
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Darkus wrote:
>

yes, that is much nicer.
No idea whats so special about the N64 though :p
Sat 26/10/02 at 12:55
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
NO, not at all. And if I ever do find it confusing, I use the Search feature to find the product I'm looking for anyway.
Sat 26/10/02 at 13:01
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
No, it's as good as it'll ever be for the amount of content you have on the site. Although exactly why you have a link just for EA games right near the top, I'll never know.

Just whatever you do - don't EVER make it ANYTHING like the PCWorld, Currys and Dixons sites.
Sat 26/10/02 at 13:11
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I'd say Yes and no.

I think you have to many links down the side, plus the ones above and below the banners, I think they could be cut down.

For instance, you seem to have a link to 'All PC' repeated 8 times, plus DVD Hardware and DVD Movies link to the same page, so couldn't you just have that as one 'DVDs' link?

The PC split is good, (PC parts, PC RAM etc) but you could just have one link to the PC site, and start the navigation for those items from there.

Also, freeola seems to have a lot of links, for the boadband, control panel etc, this could also be put as one link to freeola.com and let it go from there.

Maybe have the SR telesales, SR Shops, SR Members etc under a 'Customer Services' link, or something to that effect.

I wouldn't call your site navigation confusing, you couldeasily leave it as it is, but I would say it is a bit of a heavy load.
Sat 26/10/02 at 13:13
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Tóm wrote:
> Just whatever you do - don't EVER make it ANYTHING like the PCWorld,
> Currys and Dixons sites.

I thought the those were ok actually. I found what I was after pretty quickly with those 'pop up' sub-menus.
Sat 26/10/02 at 13:15
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Darkus wrote:
>

That looks pretty good. A bit neater. But why is the N64 link in turquoise (I think that's how you spell it...) and all the others white? Or is that just me...

Oh, and for Tony, NO I don't think the current layout is confusing really, but that's probably cos I'm used to it... I think it would be for someone new to the site...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.