GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo going down"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/11/02 at 12:11
Regular
Just look at the facts...

It's is 3rd place in terms of units sold.

Jack & Daxter, and now Rachet & Clank illustrates that Sony ps2 is just as good at cartoon platform exploration as the Ninty Cube. Infact I have seen a few reports that put the Sony offering ahead of Nintendo.

The lack of a DVD movie player is a mistake for Ninty. The cube might be a bit cheaper, but most people will pay that bit extra to get a console that also plays dvd's. Ahh, some you already have a standalone dvd player in the house. True, but many games consoles are not connected to the main tv - they are used in a bedroom or ther room. PS2 and XBox provides these people with a handy 2nd dvd player in a different location. Both XBox and PS2 also use DVD for games which means the games can be much bigger compared with games on the GC.

Price fixing. Even though this only remarks on the last gen consoles, fact is it made it into the main news. This is not good, and is worse for Ninty since they have always pushed the idea that they are more fair, and are not like Sony or anyone else.

Ninty got the price wrong at launch. Nintendo have made a mistake in introducing the Cube at such a low price. Now that there have been price cuts for PS2 and XBox, people are looking to Ninty for a similar cut. But it wont happen until next year. With it's low price, Ninty need to shift lots of Cubes - which it is failing to do.

Uncertain future. While details for PS3 and XBox2 are not firm - and will change again before launch, at least we know that there will be a PS3 and XBox2. Ninty are much more uncertain. One day they say that this GameCube will be the last Ninty console. The next day they claim to be working on GameCube2, but then say that will be the last one. The only thing we can say for certain is that, whatever the market format is at that time, Ninty won't use it.
Mon 18/11/02 at 11:52
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
tooo many capitals

My eyeeees! they have melted!
Mon 18/11/02 at 10:47
Regular
½pint wrote:
> GameCube -
> Good graphics chip, so looks very nice - ONLY IN BLACK.
> DivX compatibility (check www.divx.com) so technically DVD quality
> video CAN be played on the GameCube. I SHOULD HOPE SO, PROBLEM IS THAT DVD'S DONT FIT THE CONSOLE.
> Small size - very good for small rooms :).

> Xbox -
> Technically the best, but requires developers to program the
> functions, rather than them automatically there (such as in the
> GameCube). I THOUGHT THE XBOX WAS A DEVELOPERS DREAM MACHINE?
Can look the best, but currently doesn't. LOOKS THE BEST WHEN YOU COVER IT UP!
> A decent DVD player, but requires you to pay for it. This is a good
> comprimise in my opinion, because they could have churned out a poor one. I BET IT IS LITTLE DIFFERENT FROM ANY DVD PLAYER I HAVE SEEN OR MY PS2 DVD PLAYBACK. ALL DVD PLAYERS PRODUCE VERY SIMILAR RESULTS.
> Big size, but does include Hard Drive which is a BIG plus. DOESNT NEED TO BE THIS BIG IF IT USED MODERN COMPONENTS. THE HARD DISC IS JUST A SMALL PART OF THE CONSOLE ANYWAY.

> PS2 -
> Technically the worst console, but has lots of good titles. Not so
> many must-have, but a lot of decent, playable games. HOW CAN THE WORST CONSOLE PRODUCE QUALITY LIKE GT3, GTA3, GTA-VC, FFX, MGS2, AND THE GETAWAY?
> A crap DVD player. No other way to put it. PLAIN WRONG. AS I HAVE ALREADY STATED, MY PS2 DVD LOOKS ONLY ABOUT 10% DOWN ON A HIGH SPEC, BRAND NEW STANDALONE SONY DVD PLAYER.

> Poor design. There isn't a standard, and reports of vertical making
> it break is just poor. Looks ugly and only 2 controller ports. STILL BETTER LOOKING THAN X BOX. YOU CAN ADD 2 MULTI-TAPS

There are plenty of fanboys here who'll argue the toss, but the PS2 is not the best console. It's had the least effort put into it, it seems. You know why? It's 1 1/2 years older! That's why. Sony fans had their moment of relative glory when the PS2 was in direct competition with the Dreamcast and N64. That time has gone. Now, the Xbox and GameCube, while the underdogs, definitely reign supreme. HOW CAN U SAY THAT? DC WAS FINISHED B4 PS2 HAD SOLD MANY UNITS. AS FOR THE N64, YOU CANT COMPARE THEM.

I don't need to worry though - my Christmas present is... a £1000 PC. Check my rather boastful thread :-D.
IT WILL LOOSE A LOT OF MONEY OVER 12MONTHS. GOOD LUCK RUNNING GAMES ON WIN XP - YOUR GONA NEED IT!
Sun 17/11/02 at 22:17
Regular
i can swear when fools like this turn up ..... sigh
Sun 17/11/02 at 22:17
Regular
I can't believe that all the Nintendo fans still fall for these...
Sun 17/11/02 at 22:14
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
§n][pe® wrote:
> how the feck are u a regular when ur a fan boy.

I'm suprised how you can be a notable when you swear...

But in any case, I second your point. Update is a moron. Apart from ignoring profits, real sales figures (and not simplt relative sales figures), and consumer trends, Update has also managed to justify points with fan boy like idiocy.

Sonic
Sun 17/11/02 at 21:41
Regular
"bit of a brain"
He does love DaveRJR. The case is strong.
Sun 17/11/02 at 21:25
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
He's gotta be Techno Freak!

It has to be!

There can't be two of them ~this~ stupid!
Sun 17/11/02 at 21:16
Regular
how the feck are u a regular when ur a fan boy.
Sun 17/11/02 at 20:55
Regular
ummm, Sony really had better worry. All those ps2 users must be about to trade in for GC or XBox. No, its Nintendo and MS that had better worry. They have both underestimated Sony big time.
Sun 17/11/02 at 19:41
Regular
"¬_¬"
GameCube -
Good graphics chip, so looks very nice.
DivX compatibility (check www.divx.com) so technically DVD quality video CAN be played on the GameCube.
Small size - very good for small rooms :).

Xbox -
Technically the best, but requires developers to program the functions, rather than them automatically there (such as in the GameCube). Can look the best, but currently doesn't.
A decent DVD player, but requires you to pay for it. This is a good comprimise in my opinion, because they could have churned out a poor one.
Big size, but does include Hard Drive which is a BIG plus.

PS2 -
Technically the worst console, but has lots of good titles. Not so many must-have, but a lot of decent, playable games.
A crap DVD player. No other way to put it.
Poor design. There isn't a standard, and reports of vertical making it break is just poor. Looks ugly and only 2 controller ports.

There are plenty of fanboys here who'll argue the toss, but the PS2 is not the best console. It's had the least effort put into it, it seems. You know why? It's 1 1/2 years older! That's why. Sony fans had their moment of relative glory when the PS2 was in direct competition with the Dreamcast and N64. That time has gone. Now, the Xbox and GameCube, while the underdogs, definitely reign supreme.

I don't need to worry though - my Christmas present is... a £1000 PC. Check my rather boastful thread :-D.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.