GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Splinter Cell"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Splinter Cell'.
Tue 19/11/02 at 11:14
Regular
Just wondering on whether to get this game or not, as I havent managed to find the demo at all in town. I like the Metal Gear Solid games and think that Splinter Cell looks good. So is it anything like Metal Gear Solid, and are there any differences. Also with only 14 missions is this game going to be too short, what does the Lastability rating get in OXBM? Are the missions going to take 5 minutes to complete or an hour?

Suppose this could also be a thread to talk about Splinter Cell e.t.c.
Tue 03/12/02 at 12:02
I am currently on the oil rig level :D its good with the explosions etc.
Sun 01/12/02 at 19:27
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
In a nutshell here are the reasons why I think MGS's days are indeed numbered;

*In Splinter Cell if you are discovered then you have moments to act or the mission suddenly gets out of control fast, in MGS you just pull a firearm and blast the guy away knowing that, as long as you do so before he sends a radio message, you can continue.
*Splinter Cell has more varied levels - not just one or two.
*Splinter Cell has a developing plot that doesn't require major thought to work out. Not that Kojima's plots are crap or anything, in fact I look forward to MGS Substance, just it was complicated and releid on cut scenes.
*Splinter Cell has a certain undefineable quality to it, like you are really there doing this stuff, and that you don't want to be discovered. In MGS I never felt avoiding discovery was all that essential once I was tooled up.

However, we have MGS3 to look forward to, anyone heard the early unconfirmed rumours ? :)

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 01/12/02 at 11:51
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Yup theres a training level - and its really well done. :-) Just like basically everything else with this game then. ;-))
Sun 01/12/02 at 10:15
Regular
"BOSE"
i'm most proberly gonna get this game for christmas. i just wondered, there proberly is, because there is with alot of games. is there a training level thing to show you how to do everything?
Sun 01/12/02 at 02:34
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Blank wrote:
> And you say MGS looks laughable as a stealth game? I see a
> hint of a fanboy appearing...:)

Well your sight needs working on then mate cause even if it could be put as a fanboy comment, why would I want to ? MGS: Substance is coming to X-Box.
I'm a big fan of the MGS series, but as far as the stealth goes, Splinter Cell beats it hands down by miles.

For one thing, to get things back to normal in MGS if your spotted, all you have to do is leg it into another room, whereas in Splinter Cell, things become much more difficult if your spotted and don't act fast enough - most of the time you end up a corpse.

In Splinter Cell you pick locks, use the excellent lighting effects to keep you hidden, hide bodies in locations where its dark (as they remain around for the entire level), use more moves and cameras to help you instead of having a radar on screen that tells you where everyone is and which direction they're looking. You can also attract attention by doing stuff like throwing a can, etc.
As for the splits jump - you have to get better momentum to do it than just standing on the spot and jumping. Its all a lot more realistic and based around proper stealth with much bigger repucussions if you get caught.

So yes, as a stealth game, this makes MGS pretty laughable and even though I really like the MGS games, I stand by my comment.
Sat 30/11/02 at 22:04
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I'm on the inflitration of the CIA at the moment and I must say it is plainly obvious this HAS to be a contender for game of the year.

Gameplay is varied and fresh. So many moves are at your disposal and the gadgets would make bond green with envy. The visuals are truely special- there has been times when IMO this game has come close to photo realism for a split second. It's the dirty, gritty visuals witht the unrivaled lighting which make me grin from ear to ear at points. During the first level when you have to make it through a burning builing- my jaw was on the floor. So impressive- as are Sam's animations.

The Polygon Tearing Glitch in the Demo is gone- well so much so its kept to a bare minimum and I only noticed it on the OilRig level.

The story is also helped along with little emails which can be picked up from computers. They fill in the gaps, introduce characters and what lies ahead in the game, they remined me of all the notes you find in the Resident Evil series which add to the experience. The game creates so much suspence and excitment that you feel like a secret agent. The rumbling bass cords when gaurds are on the prowl make your spine tingle. The music isn't MGS standards but its more than good enough.

Splinter Cell has faults- nothing major though. The cutsceaces seem like an afterthought, obviously not having the same care put into them as the solo player game. Its the first game that I know that has cutsceaces which look worse than the ingame footage. Its also blummin hard! Requiring you to re-try various scripted sections untill you get it right. The AI can be dodgy in places too but don't lett hese details put you off. The game screams First Class.

A reason to invest in Xbox alone. May appear on GC and PS2 near next summer but likely not to have the supper supper polish the Xbox version has. If you've got Xbox Live extra levels can be downloaded aswell. Buy it now people.
Sat 30/11/02 at 19:09
Regular
Blank what are you talking about? This game makes Metal Gear Solid 2 look very average and that is coming for a HUGE Metal Gear fan! To explain how good this game is would be too hard, but the greatest justice I could give it is that it is worth getting an Xbox alone to play!!!
Sat 30/11/02 at 17:37
Regular
"Unknown Legend"
Unfortunately I won't have it until the 14th next month, but I played it in Game today which was cool, until I was thrown out..
Sat 30/11/02 at 17:13
Regular
"Whatever!"
Im hopefully getting the game within the next couple of weeks - It looks amazing but I want to get Jedi Outcast first!
Sat 30/11/02 at 17:11
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Savatt78 wrote:
> Been playing this game and its excellent. :-) Bit of swearing
> though when I got to a save point with no ammo and had to get this
> guard out the way. Sam seemed to want to stand and look at the geezer
> rather than take part in some fist to jaw relations. Other than the
> occasional slow punch hits though, I really can't fault the game, it
> is the nuts in every aspect and makes MGS look pretty laughable as a
> stealth game.

I've seen bits of Splinter Cell. He jumps and does the splits, managing to put one foot on each wall and stay in the air. Now even if it is possible to do this from a standing jump (doubtful), and he would have been trained in this (doubtful again), then what are the chances of the walls being teh exact distance apart to allow him to do it? Chances are it would be too wide and he'd fall on his crack or it'd be too thin and he'd kick the wall. Plus he looks pretty stupid doing it. And you say MGS looks laughable as a stealth game? I see a hint of a fanboy appearing...:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.