GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sega ditch Nintendo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/11/02 at 12:58
Regular
It appears that Sega are in big trouble and have had to take action first up it will publish games on Multi-format so things like Sega Gt and Jet Set Radio future will have to go all console format, when you are in the position that Sega are in at the moment it is very foolish to go down exclusive titles route anyway.

Then there are the Sega Sports titles which Sega will no longer produce for the GC as the sluggish sales of the cube have forced it into totally ditching sports titles for the GC as they are not financially profitable (oh dear).
Wed 27/11/02 at 01:32
Regular
"everyone says it"
Stupid Sony.

Lets claim to be doing something, and we won't actually need it.

IBM also claim the news chips within the G5's will run at 100x that of Intel's fastest.

Its all claims.

ARGH, crappy mediated world.
Wed 27/11/02 at 01:24
"High polygon count"
Update2.01 wrote:
> Back a couple of years, I recall a few DVD films also going this way

Ah, the so-called "flipper" discs, yes. The original Starship Troopers was such a disc. Needless to say it didn't sell well at all until they re-launched it on a 'proper' disc.

I mean, VideoCD never took off because of the need to swap disks about half an hour from the end, so what the hell were they thinking doing the same with DVD?!

As for future storage - well, Sony are rumoured to be looking at the possibility of using Blu-Ray discs for the PS3, which are capable of storing up to 27GB - http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm?go=news.view&news=2751
Wed 27/11/02 at 00:42
Regular
"everyone says it"
I always forget the smiley.

:) :) :D :D
Wed 27/11/02 at 00:42
Regular
"everyone says it"
You are all idiots. Shut up.
Tue 26/11/02 at 23:15
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Update2.01 wrote:
> GTA-VC uses about 4.0Gb, so yes games are around that are larger than
> 1.5Gb.

I stand corrected :o).
Tue 26/11/02 at 17:05
"You love us!"
Update2.01 wrote:
> Echelon_vs_Lightforce wrote:
> What, you *never* change a DVD over. Well either you have special
> 'extra large' (like 5TB) DVDs, or you've been playing the same game
> for the last two years dude :-D LOL
>
> 'Never swaps DVDs?'
>
> *shakes head*
>
> Retard. Utter retard.
>
> Everyone changes the media when they change the game, the point being
> made was that with a big enough disc you don't have to disc swap mid
> game. Couldn't U C that?

Oh dear. The sarcasm was lost on you then I guess. Ah well.

My point was that Top Score said he didn’t need to change DVDs, and if you take that comment at face value, as it was written, then he is basically saying he never needs to change over DVDs. The key here is to *articulate what you mean correctly*, as this way, people like me won’t pick you up on it in a sarcastic way.

However, even when he *does* change his DVD games over, it apparently takes him half an hour (the length of the 10-o-clock news) which must be a real bind.
Tue 26/11/02 at 16:55
Regular
Lol, you fool :-D
Tue 26/11/02 at 16:44
Regular
Echelon_vs_Lightforce wrote:
> What, you *never* change a DVD over. Well either you have special
> 'extra large' (like 5TB) DVDs, or you've been playing the same game
> for the last two years dude :-D LOL
>
> 'Never swaps DVDs?'
>
> *shakes head*
>
> Retard. Utter retard.

Everyone changes the media when they change the game, the point being made was that with a big enough disc you don't have to disc swap mid game. Couldn't U C that?
Tue 26/11/02 at 16:41
Regular
A bit more, fact. DVD-ROM can hold 8.5Gb on one side using dual layer mode. So you wont see any multi DVD disc games, right. Well, we shouldn't, but infact using dual layer is more expensive. So......some games maybe released on 2 DVD's (both single sided, 1 layer discs, 4.25Gb each). This for a while at least might be a bit cheaper than using a single dual layer DVD.

Back a couple of years, I recall a few DVD films also going this way - to save money. It was cheaper to make 2 standard single layer discs rather than 1 dual layer disc. But as time went on, cost of production comes down, and all films now use dual layer discs if required.
Tue 26/11/02 at 16:36
"You love us!"
What, you *never* change a DVD over. Well either you have special 'extra large' (like 5TB) DVDs, or you've been playing the same game for the last two years dude :-D LOL

'Never swaps DVDs?'

*shakes head*

Retard. Utter retard.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.